E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Popping noise from Engine

09-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
ala012
Koala012
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Dakar Yellow

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Popping noise from Engine

anyone know what this is.

I installed Procede V3 this morning.

and I drove about 3hours from Portland to Seattle.

When I got home, I opened the hood and realized the poping noise was coming from engine.

It sounded like aluminum heat wrap was popping...

I am pretty sure that V3 does not cause this problem.

Does anyone have this experience?

Updated :
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
I know of a similar problem. Check if it's coming from one of the two pressure converters. It makes a random sputtering sound only (almost like water boiling) when the car is on idle after a couple minutes. It's more frequent when the car reaches its normal operating temperature. When cold, it sputters far less. We unbolted the pressure converter and held it in our hands and it acutally vibrates a bit when it sputters. We bought and replaced the pressure converter thinking it was defective but the new one still made the same sputtering sound and vibrations. The good news is the bypass plugs installed makes the sputtering completely go away. Car feels as strong as normal with no boost leaks. We tried holding the RPM to 1500-5000 rpms and it will not sputter under load. Only sputters randomly on idle. The newest maps minimized the sputtering considerably but it's still there (1-4 sputters every couple minutes). Again, there is no power loss, no long cranks, no wastegate ticking noises and car feels as smooth as can be.
We put in a call back request but was told it's normal for the car to make these funny sounds. Had V1, V2 and V3 and never had this sound happen until V3.
Perhaps it may not have anything to do with V3. We don't really know. It's quite a mystery.....

Last edited by ala012; 09-15-2008 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
maui86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

it sounds like it could be the heat shields. when you are driving hard the metal expands from the exhaust heat and when you start driving normal it slowly cools down and the metal starts to contract to its normal size. every car i've had made the same noise. hope its that :-)

gotta do what i gotta do to get them donuts
04 spec-v: rip dec07
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
+1 That noise is caused by metal contracting after being hot. Normal. Your car did it when it was stock but you just didn't start paying as much attention until you began to modify it

If you ever decide to road race it (on a road course) you'll notice all sorts of noise coming from all sorts of places after you park it in the paddock (rotors, exhaust, turbos, heatshields, etc,.) Your car will sound like a ticking bomb.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

^^ true dat.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
ala012
Koala012
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
+1 That noise is caused by metal contracting after being hot. Normal. Your car did it when it was stock but you just didn't start paying as much attention until you began to modify it

If you ever decide to road race it (on a road course) you'll notice all sorts of noise coming from all sorts of places after you park it in the paddock (rotors, exhaust, turbos, heatshields, etc,.) Your car will sound like a ticking bomb.

Shiv
Thanks shiv !

I was hoping that.
      09-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #6
ala012
Koala012
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I think I am in trouble.

When I turned off the engine, the sound is completely gone.

When I turn on the engine, the sounds coming from left side of engine.

argg...

It sounds like some liquid is not circulating very well.

Its not sound of metal contracting. Now I am sure.

The sound is not like ticking. It sounds like very tiny bomb !!!!!!!!

Maybe fuel pump,LPFP or Pressure regulator ?

Before i install V3, i had rough idle several time and suddely it didn't happen for 3weeks.

so i decided to install V3.

Bad fuel pump can't provide Fuel for V3?

Where is Fuel pump located at ?
      09-15-2008, 12:35 AM   #7
ala012
Koala012
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
help help
      09-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #8
hun77777
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92

i would take v3 off and hit the dealer right away...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 02:02 AM   #9
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ala012 View Post
I think I am in trouble.

When I turned off the engine, the sound is completely gone.

When I turn on the engine, the sounds coming from left side of engine.

argg...

It sounds like some liquid is not circulating very well.

Its not sound of metal contracting. Now I am sure.

The sound is not like ticking. It sounds like very tiny bomb !!!!!!!!

Maybe fuel pump,LPFP or Pressure regulator ?

Before i install V3, i had rough idle several time and suddely it didn't happen for 3weeks.

so i decided to install V3.

Bad fuel pump can't provide Fuel for V3?

Where is Fuel pump located at ?
The fuel pump wont make noise if it fails. They just fail. When they do, you will have extended crank times and/or the engine may just turn off. If it's not doing that and all you are hearing is noise when the engine is running, there's a pretty good chance that everything is fine. Is your car driving normally? Any codes/limps?

shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 02:08 AM   #10
ala012
Koala012
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
No codes at all.

I just drove about 10miles. Completely normal.

When i open the hood (idle), i can hear the popin sound.

I think this problem may be related to V3.

I just met my friend who owns Subaru STI.

He told it could be wastegate sound.

or idle is too rich?

He is not sure.

If wastegate is problem, it suppose to sound like ticking noise?

Should I try new map Shiv?

Which map is most reliable one?

I forgot what mine is..

Last day modified of my map is June 9th 2008

I will upload new map tomorrow.

Last edited by ala012; 09-15-2008 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 04:08 AM   #11
ala012
Koala012
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
NVM I just uploaded newest map to V3, still makes sound.

If spark plug midfires, does it make poping sound? kinda like short swooosh sound? buzzing?

BTW No error code yet.

Wastegate,spark plug,,,,what could be...

I guess i will take it to the dealer.

Last edited by ala012; 09-15-2008 at 04:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 06:16 AM   #12
maui86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

if it sounds like this its the wastegate actuator.-->http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...+ticking+noise

it could be your injectors...since they are high pressure injectors it could very well be that. they are pretty noisy.

teri

gotta do what i gotta do to get them donuts
04 spec-v: rip dec07
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #13
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
NVM I just uploaded newest map to V3, still makes sound.

If spark plug midfires, does it make poping sound? kinda like short swooosh sound? buzzing?

BTW No error code yet.

Wastegate,spark plug,,,,what could be...

I guess i will take it to the dealer.
Before you do anything, just plug the bypass plugs in. If the sound is still there, then take it to the dealer. If the sound goes away, then your wastegates are "floating" with the new wastegate duty cycle mapping we've implemented in the new maps (to reduce lag). If that is the case, we can make a map for you that just retains stock wastegate DC during off-boost conditions.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #14
ala012
Koala012
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Ok..I plugged bypass plug-in and the poping sound is completely gone..

Idle for 10 mins, no poping sound at all.

After that, I reconnected Procede to ECU, the poping noise was coming from engine again.

Then, I uploaded 4 different maps (5-9-08 Stage0 and Stage1, 9-5-08 Stage 1 Non doomsday,, and doomsday)

I let it idle for more than 5 minutes each.

The poping noise started after 10-20 seconds of idle.

I don't know what to do...
      09-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #15
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

Quote:
Ok..I plugged bypass plug-in and the poping sound is completely gone..

Idle for 10 mins, no poping sound at all.

After that, I reconnected Procede to ECU, the poping noise was coming from engine again.

Then, I uploaded 4 different maps (5-9-08 Stage0 and Stage1, 9-5-08 Stage 1 Non doomsday,, and doomsday)

I let it idle for more than 5 minutes each.

The poping noise started after 10-20 seconds of idle.

I don't know what to do...
buy a JB3
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #16
ala012
Koala012
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Before you do anything, just plug the bypass plugs in. If the sound is still there, then take it to the dealer. If the sound goes away, then your wastegates are "floating" with the new wastegate duty cycle mapping we've implemented in the new maps (to reduce lag). If that is the case, we can make a map for you that just retains stock wastegate DC during off-boost conditions.

Shiv

Could you make a map for me?

I have pre 28.1 so...no lag for me.
      09-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #17
ala012
Koala012
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
buy a JB3
Nah. Shiv can fix this !

Shiv is GOD !
      09-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #18
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Is the wastegate rattle only at idle? If so, I'll just make the adjustment there and not when driving/cruising. This way, there will be no impact on the lagfix mapping which reduces lag on both pre and post 29.2 cars by holding the wastegates slightly more closed when off boost (idle, cruise, etc). The downside is if your particular wastegates doors were close to tapping against the exhaust housing, the new maps will bring them closer and they might actually touch (and rattle) from time to time. BMW's approach was to open those suckers up a lot which certainly eliminates the rattle but induces the lag people with the update "fix" are complaining about.

Of course, if your wastegates were already rattling, then the new maps would pull them closer and eliminate the rattle which is why some have reported that the new map have solved their rattle problem. It all depends where you and your wastegate doors were to start with

Shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 09-15-2008 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #19
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:

Shiv
I know of a similar problem. Check if it's coming from one of the two pressure converters. It makes a random sputtering sound only (almost like water boiling) when the car is on idle after a couple minutes. It's more frequent when the car reaches its normal operating temperature. When cold, it sputters far less. We unbolted the pressure converter and held it in our hands and it acutally vibrates a bit when it sputters. We bought and replaced the pressure converter thinking it was defective but the new one still made the same sputtering sound and vibrations. The good news is the bypass plugs installed makes the sputtering completely go away. Car feels as strong as normal with no boost leaks. We tried holding the RPM to 1500-5000 rpms and it will not sputter under load. Only sputters randomly on idle. The newest maps minimized the sputtering considerably but it's still there (1-4 sputters every couple minutes). Again, there is no power loss, no long cranks, no wastegate ticking noises and car feels as smooth as can be.
We put in a call back request but was told it's normal for the car to make these funny sounds. Had V1, V2 and V3 and never had this sound happen until V3.
Perhaps it may not have anything to do with V3. We don't really know. It's quite a mystery.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #20
ala012
Koala012
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post

Wow i think this is it.

Exactly same symtoms.

It makes random sputter sounds.

SOUNDS LIKE BOILING WATER ! YES !

That is almost perfect description.

so..No solution for this problem?

Why no sound without V3 ?

Please investigate this case Shiv !
      09-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #21
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow i think this is it.

Exactly same symtoms.

It makes random sputter sounds.

SOUNDS LIKE BOILING WATER ! YES !

That is almost perfect description.

so..No solution for this problem?

Why no sound without V3 ?

Please investigate this case Shiv !
Did you read my last response above?

Emailed to you are revised v3 maps. The only difference is that the PROcede does not modify wastegate duty cycle at idle. So it should have no effect on wastegate noise. If you were rattle-free before, you will still be rattle free. If you rattled before, you will still rattle.

So if you rattled before at idle, stick with the normal v3 maps posted on our download site. They should eliminate (or greatly reduce) the rattle.

If you didn't rattle rattle before and now are rattling with the v3 maps on our download site, you can try these and they should put you back to where you were before.

Of course, none of this is critical to your cars health so don't sweat over it. If you just have to get rid of the rattling, go to your BMW dealership for an ECU update. The rattle will be gone but so will your boost response.

Shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 09-15-2008 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #22
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

Shiv, it's not a metallic wastegate ticking sound. It's coming from the pressure converter or regulator. I had it in my hand it it vibrates and sputters...
Appreciate 0