E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A/C Button stuck

04-18-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
mandalore04
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i E90

A/C Button stuck

Hey everyone,

Completely new here and new to the world of BMW's. Just picked up my first one today!!! Really excited about it but I've noticed the A/C button, the one with the snowflake, can't actually be pushed in to turn it off. I searched around but couldn't find anything that really matched my issue exactly. I'm afraid to push on it too hard. Any suggestions before i have to replace it and take half the dash apart would be most appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 02:27 AM   #2
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
Well hi there, welcome to the community! There's tons of great information and great people around here.

I wouldn't worry too much about something being broken as the cause for the button being stuck- when I picked up my e90 a few of the HVAC controls were also stuck, I assume from not being pressed in forever and heat cycling in the sun, and it took a bit of massaging to free them up... a year later and there are no issues with them whatsoever.

I'd press light/mildly around each corner of the button, sort of rocking it around. It may also help to try it under a bunch of different conditions, like when the interior is hot or cold, in hopes of freeing it up.

As long as you're not absolutely pounding on it, it shouldn't break, but I'm having a hard time coming up with some sort of metric as to how much is too much, and that definitely varies by person so keep that in mind.

It's possible something sticky has gotten in there and froze the button up, but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #3
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Actually that control panel is super easy to replace. Check your part number and PM me, I have a good one that can be yours for $20 shipped.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #4
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
You might try a CRC Electronic Cleaner or CRC Contact Cleaner. Lowe's and most auto parts stores carry some version of it.

I have used a a CRC Cleaner in the past with success getting the fan switch on my 06 330i working that was sticking. Also, our 18 X1 was a service loaner that we purchased had a sticky button on the idrive controller. Someone probably spilled some type of liquid on the controller. Had great success with the CRC product in getting that switch working.

Used just a very small amount once or twice between the switch and it's housing to get the fluid in behind the switch, rocked the switch back and forth and now they work like new.
Appreciate 0