E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Virgin 2011 335xi 6spd

04-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
exclucid
Exclucid
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 bmw 335xi 6sp

Virgin 2011 335xi 6spd

Car has 56k miles. I'm in the process of installing front wheel bearings, brakes, and M3 springs and sways. Not all going according to plan.

M3 springs wouldn't fit with strut top hats, so I cut the top loop of them. Don't freak out!! I cut them because the whole top of the spring is linear with the variable part at the bottom where it sits on the strut. The front M3 sway is a little differently shaped. Any idea what will happen if I make it fit? If not I'll just have to let you know.

I want precise handling, but not harsh at this point. IF the cut M3 springs suck, I will replace with H&R and Bilsteins very soon.

Otherwise car is completely stock and well maintained. I don't want a loud exhaust, and I don't plan on doing any high HP at this time, I want a solid stage 1. I drive sporty but don't abuse car, I'm just looking for a sporty performer for mountain roads and the occasional stoplight pull.

Suggestions? I'll post pics in a bit.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
RWD suspension will not fit on the front of an Xi car. Are you planning on converting to rwd?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

H&R WILL make it harsh due to insufficient spring rates to the lowered amount. Get full AWD specific kit from FEAL. Spend it once and get it right.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #4
exclucid
Exclucid
United_States
Rep

If I don't like the ride I will look into the FEAL suspension. How is turn in with the FEAL? I want the car to have good neutral handling and be able to turn in when I pitch the weight forward. As it was stock it would push and understeer, in my previous e90 330xi with a staggered setup I could get it to turn in better than this one with a square setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
exclucid
Exclucid
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
RWD suspension will not fit on the front of an Xi car. Are you planning on converting to rwd?
I am not, I really want to keep it AWD. But I did get the M3 springs to fit upfront, so I will report on the ride difference when I get the rest done in about a week. Just waiting for some parts. I won't try to make the m3 front sway fit until everything else is done. the M3 front sway is weaker than the xdrive one, however I want it to turn in better so I kinda want it a little weaker. That said if I can't make it fit then nevermind.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
exclucid
Exclucid
United_States
Rep

Better than I hoped

I am happy to report that the modified M3 springs ride perfectly, and feel very nice. They provide crisp handling with house a harsh ride. The ride height is only about half an inch lower. I couldn't be happier with the outcome, I highly recommend, however it was very hard to get them to fit. You could get an M3 shock hat and maybe not need to modify the spring, but once you are able to get it on the shock you will appreciate the ride.
Appreciate 0