F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > A few tarted up G20's for sale
ARMA SPEED

05-05-2020, 03:15 AM   #1
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
A few tarted up G20's for sale

Spotted this in my idle browsing around eBay. Garage in West Yorkshire with a selection of G20's all with body kits and some with replacement 795M style wheels from what I can see. A couple of the 320D's have had the M340i style grilles fitted too.

https://www.ashmotorsltd.co.uk/resul...price1=&price=

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:17 AM   #2
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Hugely over priced too.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:31 AM   #3
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Pricing aside they do look very smart.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:39 AM   #4
Oreocookies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Heres a few other garages that tend to stick M Performance kits on a lot of their cars. Have to say after browsing through them, i am quite liking the look of the G series.

https://www.yournextcarltd.co.uk/used-cars

These guys usually have stock photos for a lot of the cars and very rarely show the actual car that you are buying on their auto trader adds which i find really strange

https://www.sjamesprestige.com/used/cars/bmw
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:52 AM   #5
g9icy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe MSport

Heh, I called YNC when I was looking to swap the 435d for a 440i (the first time...). They seemed like nice chaps at first, we swapped pictures of my car and they seemed interested in doing business. When I asked what their apr on finance was, I forget the actual figure quoted, I simply said "that's a bit high, is there any room to negotiate on that?" at which point the gentleman on the phone said "sorry, we can't do business with you then" and pretty much said his good byes and put the phone down.

A simple "sorry we can't budge on the apr" would have sufficed guys.

You have to be careful with some of these shops though. I've since discovered that they're doing a lot of retrofitting and coding of their own. So they're selling a basic spec BMW with retrofitted wing mirrors, digital dashes and such. Which is fine, but I wouldn't buy a car still under BMW warranty from them.

Anyway, this black M340i is lovely: https://www.ashmotorsltd.co.uk/cars/...rtpack/339323/

Shame about the grilles.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 04:10 AM   #6
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I'm guessing the 795Ms on these G20 are replicas? Cost aside, OEM 795Ms don't come in that colourway do they?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 04:24 AM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreocookies View Post
Heres a few other garages that tend to stick M Performance kits on a lot of their cars. Have to say after browsing through them, i am quite liking the look of the G series.

https://www.yournextcarltd.co.uk/used-cars

These guys usually have stock photos for a lot of the cars and very rarely show the actual car that you are buying on their auto trader adds which i find really strange

https://www.sjamesprestige.com/used/cars/bmw
That 420i literally has 100 images! ! ! wow
      05-05-2020, 04:25 AM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
I'm guessing the 795Ms on these G20 are replicas? Cost aside, OEM 795Ms don't come in that colourway do they?
Correct. They come in silver or black but not combined like in the replica pics.
      05-05-2020, 04:45 AM   #9
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
Pricing aside they do look very smart.
I agree. I expected to hate them like Kahn Range Rovers but not too bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 05:07 AM   #10
Oreocookies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by g9icy View Post
Heh, I called YNC when I was looking to swap the 435d for a 440i (the first time...). They seemed like nice chaps at first, we swapped pictures of my car and they seemed interested in doing business. When I asked what their apr on finance was, I forget the actual figure quoted, I simply said "that's a bit high, is there any room to negotiate on that?" at which point the gentleman on the phone said "sorry, we can't do business with you then" and pretty much said his good byes and put the phone down.

You have to be careful with some of these shops though. I've since discovered that they're doing a lot of retrofitting and coding of their own. So they're selling a basic spec BMW with retrofitted wing mirrors, digital dashes and such. Which is fine, but I wouldn't buy a car still under BMW warranty from them.

Anyway, this black M340i is lovely: https://www.ashmotorsltd.co.uk/cars/...rtpack/339323/

Shame about the grilles.
What a strange way to do business with regards to the APR rate

Maybe its because i still haven't had a cup of coffee yet but the grills dont look as bad on a black car they tend to blend in a bit more its grown on me a little versus when i first saw it.

The new 4 series seems to have an even more prominent grill so not sure if a black car will even be able to help it
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 05:22 AM   #11
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Quote:

Shame about the grilles.
I actually went to see a 440i they had and the quality of there m performance kits fitted was pretty ropey at best. Front splitters didn’t fit properly at all so I guess they will likely use very cheap kits.

Also the car I saw had had a pretty crap respray job on the front wing so suffice to say I walked away.....might have just been that car that said and other stock may be very different.

Last edited by Panchoa; 05-05-2020 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 05:36 AM   #12
g9icy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchoa View Post
I actually went to see a 440i they had and the quality of there m performance kits fitted was pretty ropey at best. Front splitters didn’t fit properly at all so I guess they will likely use very cheap kits.

Also the car I saw had had a pretty crap respect job on the front wing so suffice to say I walked away.....might have just been that car that said and other stock may be very different.
Yep I think they're using cheap kits and replica wheels to make them look good in photos.

Quote:

Maybe its because i still haven't had a cup of coffee yet but the grills dont look as bad on a black car they tend to blend in a bit more its grown on me a little versus when i first saw it.

The new 4 series seems to have an even more prominent grill so not sure if a black car will even be able to help it
Yeah I never understood why they just cut me off like that. I just saw it as the start of the usual negotiation you do when buying cars. It put me off them as a result.

Agree with the grills when black on black, they do look better. HJ Chester are offering 24 hour test drives on them... When the lockdown is over hopefully that's still around, as I could be tempted...for the right spec...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 05:46 AM   #13
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
"Fake" is the word I think you are looking for. I don't know about these garages, obviously , but *some* places are selling cars fitted with cheap, Chinese, substandard wheels with no load testing and often fitted with the wrong tyres.

Don't forget to mention these details to your insurance company when declaring the mods. They'll need to know when a wheel breaks and slams your family into the central reservation.
Appreciate 4
F30Andy1778.50
RobUK2813.50
RustyBitz1573.50
      05-05-2020, 06:08 AM   #14
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:

Shame about the grilles.

And there we have it, what most of us go through.

This date 2018 - god the new grills are shocking on the G20. I'd never buy one.

This date 2019 - still hate the grills, heard the G22 might be worse.

Today 2020 - in some colours the G20 grills look alright. Hate the G22.

This date 2021 - love my new G20, saw my first G22 the other day , not as bad as I expected.

This date 2022 - have to say I'm intrigued to see the G20 LCI.

this date 2023 - just VT'd my G20, G22 incoming!

This date 2024 - I've seen the renderings of the new H20 M345i, they've ruined the elegant lines BMW are known for. I'm off to test drive the new C-Class and A4 (Audi have had the sense to make it look just like the 2001 model again).

And repeat.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 5
isleaiw18814.00
Sennen1735.00
JustChris17538.00
RobUK2813.50
G50956.00
      05-05-2020, 06:15 AM   #15
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post

This date 2021 - love my new G20, saw my first G22 the other day , not as bad as I expected.

This date 2024 - I've seen the renderings of the new H20 M345i, they've ruined the elegant lines BMW are known for. I'm off to test drive the new C-Class and A4 (Audi have had the sense to make it look just like the 2001 model again).

And repeat.
Or...

Not sure about the grilles on the new M3, might look at an RS4.

Can live with the grilles, hope they make a touring

Love the grilles but they dont do a Touring so looking at RS4 again

Decided none of them are what I need right now so waiting for the LCI, stick with my Astra for now

Its the Pistonheads version....
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2020, 06:50 AM   #16
g9icy
Captain
Rep

Quote:

And repeat.
While I agree that some "getting used" to the new design is bound to happen with many people, there are still past grill designs I'll never think look good, like this linked below:

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg1N...c6cwB/$_86.JPG

And the vertical designs of the i4/m3/m4 I think will fall into this category for me. Time will tell of course.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 08:34 AM   #17
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
(again) Or...

This time in 2018 - Yikes, look at the grilles on the G20!

Actual shots of the G20 revealed - Yikes, look at those grilles AND that fussy design with all those cuts, slashes and fake vents. Not a fan of where BMW design is going.

Today - G2x still looks fussy to me. Not tempted out of my F30 340i.

In ten years time [After the US - China war, Chinese demand for European cars all but disappears]. BMW designs go full circle and return to elegance, simplicity and understated beauty as a core principle. But, in my senior years I'm too doolally to drive!

The one saving grace, low milage F30 340i's with the MPPSK become collectors items and sell for huge money to those with access to petrol

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 08:51 AM   #18
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Shorter Version

1. New Release
2. Rage from current owners as their car is now the old design, thus hate the new, values of my car will actually go up (deluded how many times has this EVER happened).
3. Prices Drop as real discount kicks in, design oddly becomes accepted
4. People like it and are shopping
5. Got it

In very very few instances does general populous hold off from the new 'shape'. Year on Year Audi, Merc and BMW sales are the reference point.
      05-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #19
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Shorter Version

1. New Release
2. Rage from current owners as their car is now the old design, thus hate the new, values of my car will actually go up (deluded how many times has this EVER happened).
3. Prices Drop as real discount kicks in, design oddly becomes accepted
4. People like it and are shopping
5. Got it

In very very few instances does general populous hold off from the new 'shape'. Year on Year Audi, Merc and BMW sales are the reference point.
Very true

The one exception from my POV is when I tried a new E60 530d in 2003. I wasn't a huge fan of the looks or the interior but borrowed one from Cooper Wimbledon as I assumed it would be a step up from my E39s.

About 200 metres into my test drive, I changed lanes, ran over the cats eyes between lanes and genuinely thought the wheel must have fallen off and I'm driving on the brake disc - my first experience of early runflats! I avoided the E60 and E90 entirely...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 09:21 AM   #20
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Shame about the grilles.

And repeat.
Yeah pretty much followed that.
I will never like the black grilles and wheels on the g20 though.
I think the f30 grilles do look small now but thats due to familiarity having kicked in with the g20, overall though I think the design of the f30 is more in proportion.
I'm certainly not in a hurry now to get an m340 touring to replace the volvo as we only need one car for the foreseeable future, which will hopefully allow some chunky discounts to appear.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #21
Lincoln61
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 430d Msport+

Those grills are still fucking horrible!
Appreciate 2
g9icy340.50
RobUK2813.50
      05-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #22
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Shame about the grilles.

And repeat.
Actually more like:-

BMW release G20, grilles look hideous

BMW release G11 LCI and F40, now G20 grilles look great in comparison!
Appreciate 1