M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 4WS and Turning Radius?

05-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #1
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

4WS and Turning Radius?

OK gruppe, I'm baffled and I need the experts' help. The M850i has 4WS which absolutely helps the car swing around in parking lots, and the M8 has the traditional 2WS.

Yet, both spec sheets show the same turning radius of 19.5'. How is that possible? Is it a glitch in the way the engineering guidelines are set up for this measurement? There's no way they're the same in real life.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Doing a three point turn or a u turn from a stationary position - the car with 4WS does feel easier to manoeuvre but it does not seem to making the turning radius any smaller (compared to my old car). At low to medium speeds when navigating roundabouts and sharp corners, the 4WS is magic. The car is much more manoeuvrable and there is less body roll - in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 11:40 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Doing a three point turn or a u turn from a stationary position - the car with 4WS does feel easier to manoeuvre but it does not seem to making the turning radius any smaller (compared to my old car). At low to medium speeds when navigating roundabouts and sharp corners, the 4WS is magic. The car is much more manoeuvrable and there is less body roll - in my opinion.
I can't compare the M850i to a M8 with 2WS but in comparison to my outgoing Lexus GS430 with 2WS it is night and day. For example the post office box for my neighborhood is on a 2 lane street right outside of the cul-de-sac my home is on. In the Lexus if I parked in front of the post office box and then attempted a u-turn to go back into the cul-de-sac it took two attempts at the maneuver. In the M850i it's a simple turn the wheel and I'm done.
Appreciate 0