F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Driving with rear seats folded all the time (nicer in-cabin exhaust sound)
GetBMWParts

05-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #1
franxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G21 330i

Driving with rear seats folded all the time (nicer in-cabin exhaust sound)

I read here somewhere that driving with the rear seats folded improves the exhaust sound inside the car so I decided to give it a go today and what a difference. Pops and bangs when in sport/sport+ were so much audible with the windows up.

Is there anyone here driving like this all the time? I guess it cannot be bad for the seats in the long term, right?

Instead of ASD or other synthetic sounds, I wonder why BMW and other brands do not simply try to find a way to amplify the exhaust sound and bring it inside the cabin....for me just putting the seats down made already a big difference when it comes to driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
J00PTv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mercedes e320 4matic

I took out my 340 yesterday for a cruise and I cracked open the sunroom to get more sound in. I do have the performance exhaust on there which you can hear in the cabin but a little sunroof or window doesn't hurt for more sound.
I will try the folded back seats this weekend and report back on my experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:36 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Lowering the seat backs brings in road noise as well as exhaust sounds.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franxx View Post
I read here somewhere that driving with the rear seats folded improves the exhaust sound inside the car so I decided to give it a go today and what a difference. Pops and bangs when in sport/sport+ were so much audible with the windows up.

Is there anyone here driving like this all the time? I guess it cannot be bad for the seats in the long term, right?

Instead of ASD or other synthetic sounds, I wonder why BMW and other brands do not simply try to find a way to amplify the exhaust sound and bring it inside the cabin....for me just putting the seats down made already a big difference when it comes to driving experience.
Wouldn’t opening the windows accomplish the same thing?
I’m finding BMW owners different. In all the years that I have been on different forums. I don’t think I have ever seen anyone ask things like “where do I put my phone?” Or “I can’t figure out how to adjust my seat so I’m comfortable? I just find it different. I understand things like “I want to mount the phone on the dash vents, can anyone suggest a mount?”
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
I’m finding BMW owners different. In all the years that I have been on different forums. I don’t think I have ever seen anyone ask things like “where do I put my phone?” Or “I can’t figure out how to adjust my seat so I’m comfortable? I just find it different. I understand things like “I want to mount the phone on the dash vents, can anyone suggest a mount?”

Ya think they got common sense since they make so much money and went to some kind of school.

I'm going to get flamed by the seniors but I forgot we got barely high school on this forum

Last edited by Gen13 F36; 05-22-2020 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #6
franxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G21 330i

Quote:
Probably not the best idea when one lives in a country with lots of rain, wind and pretty cold seasons. In fact, I opened the windows today while driving and the only thing I could hear was horrible wind noise.

On the other hand, trying something so silly as folding the rear seats made my driving experience definitely better (not sure if there was more road noise, but definitely more pops, bangs and exhaust sound overall) and I wanted to share it. That's it
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

Quote:
Hey, I resemble that remark!

I'm 63 and been in 2 3-series--a '92 e36 and a lovely e46 I went 386K miles in. I just couldn't find a good seat adjustment.

That said, I'm also surprised by so many of the same posts I know from e46fanatics relating to lower, gap, faster, lower, color this or that, faster, lower, gap...oh, and the 'how do I fix it now that I've modded it'...all the same.

I'm shocked mostly at my fellow b58 owners who still want faster. Where do they get to use any of the 5 sec. 0-60 time they have already?

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 1
njdangelo436.00
      05-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #8
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
I do this all the time. Did it with my last car too. I enjoy the sound.
Appreciate 1
franxx6.50
      05-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #9
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CP & 2017 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post

I'm shocked mostly at my fellow b58 owners who still want faster. Where do they get to use any of the 5 sec. 0-60 time they have already?
They're just like those millionaires, aren't they? They have more millions than they can spend but they still want more!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
1KWIKBMR
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post

Ya think they got common sense since they make so much money and went to some kind of school.

I'm going to get flamed by the seniors but I forgot we got barely high school on this forum
I'm 41, bought a used 2014 335i, not rich by any means, been an electrician half my life, got plenty of common sense. 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
Every time I leave a red light. (Even though I'm n55.) Occasionally I disregard the common sense I mentioned above.
Appreciate 1
franxx6.50
      05-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #11
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

You can code out the phony engine noise.

One of the nicest things about having MPPSK is that I can throw it into sport mode and it sounds like a beast... but it's a pretty quiet ride in comfort or (blasphemy!) eco pro. I hate freeway drone.
Appreciate 1
franxx6.50
      05-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #12
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by franxx View Post
I guess they could just run the exhaust pipes straight into the cabin, too.

Appreciate 1
franxx6.50
      05-23-2020, 02:23 AM   #13
VictorF32
VictorNM
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 435i Msport

Have been riding my 435i with seats down daily since I got it 8 months ago. Increased visibility and I can hear the exhaust better. Would highly recommend if not to many people in and out of the car.
Appreciate 1
franxx6.50