Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications recommended tune for m340?

06-01-2020, 06:21 AM   #1
Stiunit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

recommended tune for m340?

i am looking to get a DP, intake, and a tune /piggyback but not sure what is recommended . JB4 Still the recommend set up ?

thank you for any info
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 07:44 AM   #2
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Alpina D5S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiunit View Post
i am looking to get a DP, intake, and a tune /piggyback but not sure what is recommended . JB4 Still the recommend set up ?

thank you for any info
It depends on what you want. A piggyback everybody will tell you jb4.

If you want the flash route, I'm using mission performance stage 2 and it's fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
Stiunit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkSinatra View Post

If you want the flash route, I'm using mission performance stage 2 and it's fantastic.
thank you
do you know which is easier to switch to stock tune when needed , or be removed if needed ?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 10:56 PM   #4
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

thank you
do you know which is easier to switch to stock tune when needed , or be removed if needed ?
A piggyback is just unplugging the cables and remove the little box. The tune, for example the one I'm running, you just need to connect your laptop with the obd cable and flash it back to stock.

Both ways are really easy.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:

thank you for any info
if you're ever by Huntington Beach come by and drive my Mission Performance tuned M340 :-)

I'm willing to bet you'll order the second you get home
Appreciate 1
Stiunit23.00
      06-03-2020, 05:04 AM   #6
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:

thank you for any info
if you're ever by Huntington Beach come by and drive my Mission Performance tuned M340 :-)

Chenry, are you enjoying your M340i?
Is mission tuning meeting your expectations since you had it on your 340i?

I love mine.
Putting bastuck exhaust next week, have it on order for about 1 month, due to Corona is taking much longer for delivery.
Sorry op for thread hijack.

As I said before, if you try Mission performance stage 2 you will never go back.
The car retains all the stock personality, very smooth to drive, but extremely powerful.

Hope I can help you decide.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 08:04 AM   #7
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

thank you for any info

I love mine.
Putting bastuck exhaust next week, have it on order for about 1 month, due to Corona is taking much longer for delivery.

As I said before, if you try Mission performance stage 2 you will never go back.
The car retains all the stock personality, very smooth to drive, but extremely powerful.

Does Bastuck ship to US? Interested in hearing that exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #8
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

[/QUOTE]
Does Bastuck ship to US? Interested in hearing that exhaust[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure, but you can ask them if they have any vendors on the US.

I've bought mine without listening it, just on YouTube. Hope I'll like it, but here in Europe we just have bastuck and einsenmann at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I love mine.

Sorry for the delayed response - I missed this

To answer your question, "hell yes" Mission Performance is meeting all my expectations

I think this is car 5 or 6 for me tuned with Mission Performance. And in typical MP fashion the cars day to day drive-ability is darn near like stock however the car simply pulls like a freight train in a perfectly linear fashion. No peaks, no valleys, no spikes, no drop offs - just like a jet taking off. It's as if I checked the factory option box from BMW for more power on my cars build.

I'm really impressed by the second gen B58 that comes in these M340's. While I adore the original B58 the current B58TU motor is simply better in many respects. And the marriage of the B58TU and Mission Performance seems to be a marriage made in heaven.

Yes I am a huge Mission Performance fan - many know that by now. But it's for very good reason (here comes my shameless but honest and objective plug hahaha)

ps- as I've shared before (for those that don't know). When Toyota Global Corp needed someone to tune their very own B58 equipped Supra TRD - with the world watching and their reputation on the line...they hired Alex (owner - chief tech guy @ MP) and flew him out to Texas to tune their car. Yes MP is that good :-)

Last edited by chenry; 06-05-2020 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #10
ryivnx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5Comp, E46M3 6MT, 328d, M340i

I'm also running MP stage 2 on my car.
My car is a daily driver with me putting on it 70 miles a day.
So far I put 2000 miles since the tune went in - no issues whatsoever.

The car is very quick. The pull is quite impressive, haha.
The shitty CA gas does dumb down the power but if you put 3 gallons of E85 on a full tank, that stage 2 tune becomes savage.

With all that extra power I still get a combined 26 MPG.
One day I did a long drive of 200 miles all of which were highway. Decided to experiment and put the car in eco pro mode and set the speed at 75 mph. Averaged 31 MPG!!!

Go and try find a car that has around 500 hp (crank and with MP stage 2) on tap and is this economical!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 05:01 PM   #11
Alexey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryivnx View Post
I'm also running MP stage 2 on my car.
My car is a daily driver with me putting on it 70 miles a day.
So far I put 2000 miles since the tune went in - no issues whatsoever.

The car is very quick. The pull is quite impressive, haha.
The shitty CA gas does dumb down the power but if you put 3 gallons of E85 on a full tank, that stage 2 tune becomes savage.

With all that extra power I still get a combined 26 MPG.
One day I did a long drive of 200 miles all of which were highway. Decided to experiment and put the car in eco pro mode and set the speed at 75 mph. Averaged 31 MPG!!!

Go and try find a car that has around 500 hp (crank and with MP stage 2) on tap and is this economical!
Can you measure the acceleration time 60-130?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 09:15 AM   #12
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
412motorsport is acually starting a high hp build with the M340i with all the goodies, so it should provide a good benchmark to what you can accomplish with these cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 11:14 AM   #13
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thormessiah View Post
412motorsport is acually starting a high hp build with the M340i with all the goodies, so it should provide a good benchmark to what you can accomplish with these cars.
Cool I'm not familiar with 412motorsport (sounds like you are)- but always fun to follow these one off builds.

That said do they offer anything that is applicable to OPs situation such as their own remote tune/flash services (like BM3, PTF, Mission Performance etc) or a Piggyback (like Burger, Dinan, Race Chip etc)?

Thanks!

ps- would be cool for them to start a build thread that we can follow (but if they are not a sponsor that might be considered advertising so maybe they can't??)

Last edited by chenry; 06-06-2020 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: typo (I'm sure there are others I missed HA)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #14
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Cool I'm not familiar with 412motorsport (sounds like you are)- but always fun to follow these one off builds.

That said do they offer anything that is applicable to OPs situation such as their own remote tune/flash services (like BM3, PTF, Mission Performance etc) or a Piggyback (like Burger, Dinan, Race Chip etc)?

Thanks!

ps- would be cool for them to start a build thread that we can follow (but if they are not a sponsor that might be considered advertising so maybe they can't??)
I think they are just an independent shop that works on performance cars, but if I were to hazard a guess they'll get a custom tune from MP
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #15
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thormessiah View Post
Quote:

Thanks!

I think they are just an independent shop that works on performance cars, but if I were to hazard a guess they'll get a custom tune from MP
cool thanks for the reply :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 11:36 PM   #16
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

It really comes down to whether or not you want to reflash the car. For those under warranty who are avoiding flashing the JB4 is the only way to go. And for those who have decided to flash they've got some nice JB4 BEF maps that are MHD compatible including ones for straight E85 to take advantage of the factory TU high pressure pump.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

thank you for any info
Best piggy is JB4

Best flash is bootmod3, they just released a new map

We offer both options with 30 days money back guarantee

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Stiunit23.00
      06-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #18
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

BM3 all day long! Easy and simple to install. Great options to choose out of the box...ie...quicker shifter, burbles, etc.

I've had JB4 in the past...uhh...flash tune is the way to go these days. Stage 1 with basically a stock set up and on 93 I dynoed 370HP/390tq to the crank. In a M235i , N55....its pretty fast. Can't imagine what Stage 2 is like. I'll need a bigger boat for that.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #19
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Beast View Post
BM3 all day long! Easy and simple to install. Great options to choose out of the box...ie...quicker shifter, burbles, etc.

I've had JB4 in the past...uhh...flash tune is the way to go these days. Stage 1 with basically a stock set up and on 93 I dynoed 370HP/390tq to the crank. In a M235i , N55....its pretty fast. Can't imagine what Stage 2 is like. I'll need a bigger boat for that.
did you have to send your M340 DME in to unlock or are you on an early rev of software?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 08:02 PM   #20
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

thank you for any info

I love mine.

Interested to give my car a little extra, CARB legal? Can it be detected by dealer? If removed b4 service will dealer know it was there?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #21
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
I've noticed that under WOT when shifting to 3rd, the M340 kinda starts to noticeably slow down compared to the rapid 1st/2nd gears. I'm guessing the additional power and quick shift from BM3/MP changes this and gives it more life at higher speeds?

Love this car but have noticed this is where something like an F80 would start pulling on it hard. Still undecided about a tune- thinking I'd go for a piggy if anything
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 11:04 PM   #22
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

thank you for any info

I love mine.

Interested to give my car a little extra, CARB legal? Can it be detected by dealer? If removed b4 service will dealer know it was there?
As mission performance website says, stage 1 is emissions certified, stage 2 don't.

If you put your car back to stock before dealer visit you should be fine. As with all the tunes, even if a piggyback, if the dealer digs into your logs they will be able to know if your car was tuned.
Appreciate 0