M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Buying vs Leasing 850 Cab After Heavy Discount

06-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #1
jn42887
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Comp Cab

Buying vs Leasing 850 Cab After Heavy Discount

Hey everyone, I know there have been a lot of topics on this board vaguely touching upon this question, but nothing specific. So I was wondering...

Assuming a pretty heavy discount either way ($100k price on a $126k MSRP), if I'm planning on keeping a new M850 cab for 3-4 years, is it better to buy or lease? I mean after including everything such as repairs, depreciation, etc. I think I could maybe find a lightly used one for $5-$10k cheaper, but considering the discounts are so heavy at my local dealer, I'm not sure if that's worth it.

I've attempted to do the math myself using the estimated payments from the calculator on the BMW web site, and the answer seems to be "it depends." I've had to make some assumptions when doing the overall math, especially when it comes to depreciation, which seems to be a big unknown.

What do you guys think? Or does it depend on the specific deal the dealer gives me? This car will be a 3rd car for the next few months then become a DD.

Also, when buying/leasing a new car from a dealer, can you ask them to give it to you with different tires than what it's being shown with? The one I'm looking at appears to come with run-flats, which I'd like to avoid for ride comfort reasons.

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2012 528i

Garage List
I suggest u do a total cost of ownership analysis of owning vs planned expenses of leasing the car (lots of info online on this if u need help with it). Be as thorough as possible making assumed estimates on possible expenses. From an ownership perspective, also incorporate estimated terminal value of car at possible year of sale/trade-in. This should give u an idea of what to do.

Of course your analysis won't be perfect but my guess is if the cost difference of both analysis is small then it doesn't matter if u lease or buy...but if there's a huge difference then go with the one that has the most cost benefit.

My best bet is that leasing is more cost beneficial due to the following reasons:
1. With the discount you mentioned, if MF and residual value are also favorable then great deal for lease.
2. Depending on how long you plan on keeping the car if you bought it, expenses could run high after warranty
3. These cars depreciate a lot and with EVs trending up, it could depreciate even more leading to low sale/trade-in value

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2020, 09:24 PM   #3
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Providing the lease components are favorable (MF etc), lease, as these cars are not known for robust resale...

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 06-06-2020 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 11:59 PM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn42887 View Post
Hey everyone, I know there have been a lot of topics on this board vaguely touching upon this question, but nothing specific. So I was wondering...

Assuming a pretty heavy discount either way ($100k price on a $126k MSRP), if I'm planning on keeping a new M850 cab for 3-4 years, is it better to buy or lease? I mean after including everything such as repairs, depreciation, etc. I think I could maybe find a lightly used one for $5-$10k cheaper, but considering the discounts are so heavy at my local dealer, I'm not sure if that's worth it.

I've attempted to do the math myself using the estimated payments from the calculator on the BMW web site, and the answer seems to be "it depends." I've had to make some assumptions when doing the overall math, especially when it comes to depreciation, which seems to be a big unknown.

What do you guys think? Or does it depend on the specific deal the dealer gives me? This car will be a 3rd car for the next few months then become a DD.

Also, when buying/leasing a new car from a dealer, can you ask them to give it to you with different tires than what it's being shown with? The one I'm looking at appears to come with run-flats, which I'd like to avoid for ride comfort reasons.

Thanks everyone!
Short answer: if you plan to own for 3 years: lease.
if you plan to own for 6+: then buy.

the depreciation is real hard, you can't beat the lease residual values. that said, BMW financial isn't there to gift you, they make a good profit off leases.

If you lease, go to tirerack and buy a set of new tires. and then swap the OEM back for lease turn in and save yourself $ and $$.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 12:02 AM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn42887 View Post

Thanks everyone!
you can get the dealership to include full premium maintenance plus, and also get tire and rim insurance on a lease. even with everything, you should probably be out the door at around $1000/month max I think. lease with minimum miles and 0 down.
Appreciate 0