THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Guessing at 2021 incentives

View Poll Results: Do you think there will be good incentives on 2021s when they come out?
In my experience, yes, there will likely be solid incentives on 2021s when they hit dealerships. 2 10.53%
In my experience, No, I would not hold my breath for significant incentives on 2021s. 6 31.58%
In my experience, it is anyone’s guess at this point. 3 15.79%
I have zero experience with this and cannot give an informed opinion, but I like voting in polls! 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

06-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Guessing at 2021 incentives

In the context of the current economic environment, I'm wondering what the odds are that the current incentives on 2020 2 series will be extended to 2021s?

Currently those are:
- $3000 manufacturer rebate
- $750 loyalty rebate (guessing that is always there)
- 0.9% APR for financing with BMW FS

I realize no one has a crystal ball. However, there is a LOT of collective experience here, and especially with the popularity of leasing BMWs (meaning, many people go through the purchase process every 3 years), I thought some of you might know enough to have an informed opinion... or at least, a more educated guess than my own.

I have never purchased a car during the summer months. I have also never purchased a new model year shortly after its coming out. So, I have not paid a lot of attention to summer/fall deals, historically.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
I think you can count on incentives continuing for 2020 MY vehicles, but I've read a few articles in newspapers and some web posts which make me think it'll a be a while before we see any significant incentives on 2021 MY vehicles.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldstyle View Post
In the context of the current economic environment, I'm wondering what the odds are that the current incentives on 2020 2 series will be extended to 2021s?

Currently those are:
- $3000 manufacturer rebate
- $750 loyalty rebate (guessing that is always there)
- 0.9% APR for financing with BMW FS

I realize no one has a crystal ball. However, there is a LOT of collective experience here, and especially with the popularity of leasing BMWs (meaning, many people go through the purchase process every 3 years), I thought some of you might know enough to have an informed opinion... or at least, a more educated guess than my own.

I have never purchased a car during the summer months. I have also never purchased a new model year shortly after its coming out. So, I have not paid a lot of attention to summer/fall deals, historically.
Wyldstyle, I really enjoy your posts! You are dedicated and really want this car. I'd gladly sell you mine as a little later in the quarter but it is a convertible

However I don't think you will be seeing any aggressive incentives on the 2-series in MY'21

There are a few reasons, and I have noticed these trends in the last as well:

- the 2'er is not exactly a wanted commodity by dealerships, and not something BMW sold lots of. So you can bet that allocations, as the 2'er is phased out, will be few and far in-between.

- it has taken a while but with the M235i/M240i the 2'er has established itself as a niche product. The cars eventually clear lots, it just takes time. It will never be a volume seller, especially with drying demand.

Given the above, seems like the 2'er has very specific demand, and restricting supply, hence lesser allocations. If a dealer is going to get one or a few allocated, they will stick to their price and milk every penny they can for letting those units take up their retail real estate. It will eventually be picked up by a niche customer.

At the same time I see no reason for BMW to make the potential deals any sweeter for these niche customers, not for a model that is not in volume and has minimal impact on dealers while they are trying to get the most they can.

So, no, I don't think any major incentives are coming for MY'21.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2020, 12:31 AM   #4
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Wyldstyle, have you considered the S3? Or better yet the RS3? I mean, these are sedans but damn the RS3 is hot! I was thinking of your daughter, and since that's your use case, perhaps it is worth a thought?

One of the reasons they are milking this dying generation of F2x for all its worth is that no one else has a small AWD turbo coupe with a usable backseat. Given the environment no one will be bringing anything like this to the market anytime soon either.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

I wouldn't hold your breath. The 2 series has always had terrible incentives and residuals from BMW FS. It's a niche car which sells in very low numbers.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 03:07 PM   #6
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
The 2 series...sells in very low numbers.
For those interested, US and Canadian sales numbers can be seen on this page: https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/bmw-2-...es-usa-canada/.

GoodCarBadCar used to report monthly data within a few days after the end of a month, but it shows no sales data for April and May of 2020.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:24 PM   #7
jqp5533
Rep
Drives: 18' M240i xdrive

I think you'll see incentives continue for 2021 models.

I haven't bought many cars, I've only bought one used car.

For what it's worth, I was on a conference call this week about consumer cylical goods and publicly traded companies. For the automotive industry somebody asked, how long until we see it go back to normal. It's still early, but considering how many people have been financially set back, how many cars haven't been sold due to economic shut down, and how few buyers there have been due to not being able to go to dealerships... the answer was 2021. Keep in mind, that's for the average car. Luxury goods are rebounding pretty fast because wealthier people haven't been affected much, so deals for higher end cars I think will be cut short compared to hondas and toyotas unless there's a surpless.

Just thought I'd share.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2020, 12:31 PM   #8
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Wyldstyle, I really enjoy your posts! You are dedicated and really want this car.
Ha ha! The word is "obsessive." Whatever gets my attention tends to get all of it. No half measures here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Wyldstyle, have you considered the S3? Or better yet the RS3? I mean, these are sedans but damn the RS3 is hot! I was thinking of your daughter, and since that's your use case, perhaps it is worth a thought?
I appreciate that, and yes I have. Quite a lot. Very nearly bought one from out of state. The RS3 is probably over the top for me (like the M2), and there have been zero S3s locally to test drive. So I drove two different A3s (to help me decide whether to order an S3 from out of state), and I actually enjoyed them enough on secondary roads that I thought about saving a boatload of $$$ and going with one of those instead. But on that second test drive, I focused on taking it on the highway, and I didn't like it there nearly as much. The unfortunate reality is that my commute is 95% highway. I have to assume that the S3 wouldn't feel very different from the A3 at speed, and it felt a bit out of its element there (whereas the 2-er does both happily). Those ugly circular air vents really turn me off, too... But if an S3 were to pop locally I would definitely go give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #9
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldstyle View Post
Those ugly circular air vents really turn me off, too...

THANK YOU! The A/S/RS3 seem to be the only Audi with those; all the other Audi's we saw when my wife was looking for a car had normal vents. I think the other interiors look nice, but the Mercedes style round vents drive me nuts!

Even my wife, who's not into cars, noticed the poor driving dynamic of the A3 vs. the 230. 4 years ago, I was not impressed with the S3 vs. the 235.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
Even my wife, who's not into cars, noticed the poor driving dynamic of the A3 vs. the 230. 4 years ago, I was not impressed with the S3 vs. the 235.
"Poor" goes further with them. We dumped our 2016 A6 3.0T Prestige in about two years after they had no fix for the "lurchomatic" transmission, random electrical feature function, refused warranty for defective rotors, and the crowning glory, we were told by the tech that he was told to change a repair order to support the warranty denial. "Poor" goes quite far with VWAG/Audi. Never again, no matter what they build!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0