F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2013 3 series electrical problem
Studio RSR

06-11-2020, 01:15 AM   #1
bmwf30//
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i xdrive 2013

2013 3 series electrical problem

i have an f30 328i 2013... i have changed my left rear brake and turn signal at least 3 times in the past year. Can not figure out the issue its usually in sequence i change one and the other goes out a few days later. Sometimes the bulb randomly starts working again but only for a short period of time not sure what the issue is if anyone has had this issue or knows what the problem is plz lmk
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 04:37 AM   #2
rhmarquez
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf30// View Post
i have an f30 328i 2013... i have changed my left rear brake and turn signal at least 3 times in the past year. Can not figure out the issue its usually in sequence i change one and the other goes out a few days later. Sometimes the bulb randomly starts working again but only for a short period of time not sure what the issue is if anyone has had this issue or knows what the problem is plz lmk
Don't know if it's the same issue, but on my F32 the left brake light conector shorted out and melted the cable's pin conector as well as the tail light assembly. Apparently a common issue. This was causing intermittent failure of the light, as well as throwing Bulb Failure codes on the panel.

Had to get a new tail light plate assembly and a BMW pin conector kit to re-pin the wires. Repair was a fairly easy DIY and came up around $80.
Attached Images

2014 F32 435i M-Package | Alpine White with Dakota Red interior | ESS Tune | AFE Power Intake, Charge Pipe | M-Performance Exhaust | Bilstein B8 Struts | 19inch Vorsteiner Wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S | Carbon Fiber goodies
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2020, 05:49 AM   #3
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

You could try a few things that worked on prior bmws I've had...I assume the fundamentals are similar, but maybe not?

First, the bottom tab in the bulb holder can get fatigued and not hold the bulb so firmly...so remove it if you can to try to pull up the bottom tab and bend it up a little higher. Clean the bulb and metal contacts in bulb holder too.

BMW added a new ground directly to the body to fix an issue that I believe was 'really' in the loom going from the trunk lid to the body.

Anyway, sorry...basically all I can suggest is cleaning and tightening. Also, btw, bmw bulbs are better than others usually. Good luck

You could replace the socket itself.

Then, as suggested, it could be a wiring issue. Very common in e46 was a broken wire inside the loom going to the trunk lid--it'd affect the tail

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2020, 06:14 AM   #4
helix247
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf30// View Post
Same issue with the added bonus that both sides eventually stopped working with bulb light failure messages showing up on the dash. The two easiest things to check are the wire socket and the bulb socket. A picture was posted showing what a wire short would look like. The bulb socket may required a cleaning where the center tab is lifted upwards so thay it makes better contact with the bulb bottom contact. Also the side walls of the bulb socket may need to be filed/cleaned a bit to make better contact with the bulb base. Once I ruled out that the wiring was not shorted, I decided to replace the bulb sockets. They were approximately $45 USD on FCPEuro each side vs $90 USD each at the dealer. For the age of the car, $90 plus tax seemed like a simple solution. Everything fired up first try. Two months and no issues so far.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2020, 02:13 PM   #5
bmwf30//
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i xdrive 2013

Im gonna try all this out thanks guys
Appreciate 0