BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-15-2020, 12:01 AM   #1
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 (GO5)

Undo the USA update in June?

Can you revert back to previous version of update? It killed me coding and not sure I can do it again (ASS and ADV)? Also, camera views are acting up.
      06-15-2020, 01:30 AM   #2
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5TXguyG05 View Post
Can you revert back to previous version of update? It killed me coding and not sure I can do it again (ASS and ADV)? Also, camera views are acting up.
Unfortunately no. You can NOT go back to a previous version from a newer version.

Did you try rebooting iDrive after the update?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #3
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Its strange. Mine didn't touch any of my Codings when doing the OTA Update. Was your OTA update process interrupted or restarted? I have ASS and ADV both working. By the way I used BimmerCode App to program it using that Bluetooth dongle.
      06-19-2020, 03:27 AM   #4
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Quote:
Its strange. Mine didn't touch any of my Codings when doing the OTA Update. Was your OTA update process interrupted or restarted? I have ASS and ADV both working. By the way I used BimmerCode App to program it using that Bluetooth dongle.
If your fdl/Bimmercode coding persisted then either your OTA didn't work properly, or the coded ECU's were not upgraded.

Istep upgrades usually go 1) program ECU 2) VO code same ECU, wiping fdl coding
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #5
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately no. You can NOT go back to a previous version from a newer version.

Did you try rebooting iDrive after the update?
No, I'll try that, thanks
      06-19-2020, 10:10 PM   #6
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think it was interrupted, but could've missed it
      06-19-2020, 10:11 PM   #7
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
Quote:
If your fdl/Bimmercode coding persisted then either your OTA didn't work properly, or the coded ECU's were not upgraded.

Istep upgrades usually go 1) program ECU 2) VO code same ECU, wiping fdl coding
So, can I restore my coding from a backup after the update?
      06-20-2020, 12:45 AM   #8
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't recommend you do this.

When you do an i-step update the car coding 'schema' changes, and the local coding tools (esys, bimmercode?) need to update to address those changes.

In esys, a cafd that worked for an earlier i-step such as 07/2019, will be different to a newer one for say 11/2019.70.

I always manually recode everything again after an i-step update, and the i-step upgrade 'should' wipe your coding if its worked correctly.

The issue with esys and I guess also bimmercode, is that each newer i-step requires a newer psdzdata or equivalent to map to the cars 'schema' and coding values. The newer psdzdata needs to be manually mapped by the software provider (bimmercode, esysx, tokenmaster) to address changes to the newer psdzdata - new codes, changed codes etc. Without that the software is blind to what codes are available on the car.

Why do you think you cannot code your car again? Does bimmercode not support the newer i-step yet?

Last edited by ifr; 06-20-2020 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 09:58 PM   #9
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't recommend you do this.

When you do an i-step update the car coding 'schema' changes, and the local coding tools (esys, bimmercode?) need to update to address those changes.

In esys, a cafd that worked for an earlier i-step such as 07/2019, will be different to a newer one for say 11/2019.70.

I always manually recode everything again after an i-step update, and the i-step upgrade 'should' wipe your coding if its worked correctly.

The issue with esys and I guess also bimmercode, is that each newer i-step requires a newer psdzdata or equivalent to map to the cars 'schema' and coding values. The newer psdzdata needs to be manually mapped by the software provider (bimmercode, esysx, tokenmaster) to address changes to the newer psdzdata - new codes, changed codes etc. Without that the software is blind to what codes are available on the car.

Why do you think you cannot code your car again? Does bimmercode not support the newer i-step yet?
I guess I can recode, just new to this so wasn't sure. How do I know when Bimmercode is ready to code after this latest update? I am new to this.
      06-22-2020, 12:41 AM   #10
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I guess I can recode, just new to this so wasn't sure. How do I know when Bimmercode is ready to code after this latest update? I am new to this.
I don't use bimmercode. I guess it locks out or displays an error if the i-step version isn't supported.

One of the bimmercode users like LexxM3 should be able to advise.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:08 PM   #11
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
I don't use bimmercode. I guess it locks out or displays an error if the i-step version isn't supported.

Bimmercode beta 3.6 does support 03/2020.58. I just finished restoring my changes after being upgraded from 07/2019. I'm not able to test with 3.5 since I have the beta version and am providing feedback to the developer.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 06:57 PM   #12
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Bimmercode beta 3.6 does support 03/2020.58. I just finished restoring my changes after being upgraded from 07/2019. I'm not able to test with 3.5 since I have the beta version and am providing feedback to the developer.
If TestFlight, you can delete app and just download from App Store the current release version. When ready to go back to beta, reverse the process and use TestFight for the app. Your TestFlight invite survives the process.

If in Android, you have to delete app, cancel beta, download released app. When ready to go back to beta, reverse the process (I believe, double check first).