BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-18-2020, 01:53 AM   #1
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

BMW lane keep assist quirk

For anyone that has ever used lane keep assist, I find it has one very annoying and possibly dangerous quirk that can be easily reproduced. Many times I have used lane keep assist and when approaching an exit, it will drift the X3 into the exit instead of keeping the vehicle travelling straight. If I don't manually correct the steering first, the car will then swerve back into the correct lane like a drunk driver. It seems to do this on almost every exit I approach.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 06:51 AM   #2
Ashsarhaz93
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
For anyone that has ever used lane keep assist, I find it has one very annoying and possibly dangerous quirk that can be easily reproduced. Many times I have used lane keep assist and when approaching an exit, it will drift the X3 into the exit instead of keeping the vehicle travelling straight. If I don't manually correct the steering first, the car will then swerve back into the correct lane like a drunk driver. It seems to do this on almost every exit I approach.

Rob
I assume that in your neck of the woods your exit ramps do not have any broken white lines that separate the exit ramp from the main carriageway? If this is the case the lane near side lane markings will (according to the system) just disappear immediately making the car think it is suddenly on the far right of the carriageway & immediately try to correct it
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:34 AM   #3
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashsarhaz93 View Post
I assume that in your neck of the woods your exit ramps do not have any broken white lines that separate the exit ramp from the main carriageway? If this is the case the lane near side lane markings will (according to the system) just disappear immediately making the car think it is suddenly on the far right of the carriageway & immediately try to correct it
+1. And it’s the same with other car manufacturers too
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

I've never understood this option - in any car. Imo, at best, it is annoying, and at worst, it is dangerous. I turned it off the day I got my car and will never turn it back on.
Appreciate 2
Alias1431795.00
Kingpin4386.50
      06-18-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashsarhaz93 View Post
Happened to me number of times in UK. We have broken white lines on exit points, it still just wants to go solo and do WTF it wants to do (even though the nav is set to continue straight on :-/)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #6
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
I've never understood this option - in any car. Imo, at best, it is annoying, and at worst, it is dangerous. I turned it off the day I got my car and will never turn it back on.
Yup. Turned it off the day I got my G20 too. IMHO BMW has the worst LKA ever. Very intrusive and the input is sudden and scared the living daylights out of me when I first experienced it. Our Audis are so much better there.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #7
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Yup. Turned it off the day I got my G20 too. IMHO BMW has the worst LKA ever. Very intrusive and the input is sudden and scared the living daylights out of me when I first experienced it. Our Audis are so much better there.
You should test drive Tesla's - they are on top of their game in re to this. Makes bmw or audi's systems look prehistoric. I think Tesla system is the only system right now that knows how to properly take a highway ramp or exit or even stop and accelerate at traffic lights. Our bmws still have to learn how to do that (and won't unless you buy new bmw in the future). Bmw is meant to be driven and you let the car assist to assist you driving long highway stretches. My 2 cents...
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      06-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheusBimmer View Post
You should test drive Tesla's - they are on top of their game in re to this. Makes bmw or audi's systems look prehistoric. I think Tesla system is the only system right now that knows how to properly take a highway ramp or exit or even stop and accelerate at traffic lights. Our bmws still have to learn how to do that (and won't unless you buy new bmw in the future). Bmw is meant to be driven and you let the car assist to assist you driving long highway stretches. My 2 cents...
I agree. I’ve heard good things about the Tesla system. But I prefer driving and turn everything off in all my cars. Only thing I like is the blind spot monitor.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 05:00 AM   #9
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheusBimmer View Post
Tesla's not only on top of their game, they're playing a whole different game. But to be fair, I think that BMW's lane keep assist is meant as a safety feature to remind you that you're straying out of a lane and help nudge you back. It's not meant to be an autonomous driving feature. Otoh, Tesla has true self-driving tech. It's far from perfected, but no one else has anything like it and it's well down the road of true autonomous driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 06:44 AM   #10
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

the goal is not self driving, the goal is safety. but I also do not like BMW's version. spouse has a hyundai kona and that lane keeping assist is far superior. I have driven a tesla X and literally every tech thing about that car is far better than anything else on the road yet still not as engaging overall as my bmw.
Appreciate 1
hinckley3492.50