F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Knuckle Repair, DIY?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-19-2020, 01:25 AM   #1
renold458
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 430i Gran Coupe

Knuckle Repair, DIY?

Sup ya'll. Took my car to the dealer and they did a multi-point inspection on my car. They noted "L/F Knuckle strut stop damaged - strut dropped slightly". Parts quote were for:

33306787062 x 4 (Combination Nut)
31206872920 x 4 (Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly Bolt)
31216799097 x 1 ("Carrier, Left" or "Knuckle)

Service advisor stated it's bent slightly, so not really an issue, but Im posting wondering if this is a doable DIY and if there's any documentation for said DIY as I'd rather be proactive. If the DIY is involved, what's the repair cost I could be looking for? I'll likely buy the parts on my own from FCP for the warranty. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:26 AM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by renold458 View Post
Sup ya'll. Took my car to the dealer and they did a multi-point inspection on my car. They noted "L/F Knuckle strut stop damaged - strut dropped slightly". Parts quote were for:

33306787062 x 4 (Combination Nut)
31206872920 x 4 (Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly Bolt)
31216799097 x 1 ("Carrier, Left" or "Knuckle)

Service advisor stated it's bent slightly, so not really an issue, but Im posting wondering if this is a doable DIY and if there's any documentation for said DIY as I'd rather be proactive. If the DIY is involved, what's the repair cost I could be looking for? I'll likely buy the parts on my own from FCP for the warranty. Thanks in advance!
Depending on how many miles you have on the car, it may be worth replacing the front wheel bearing at the same time. They would have to remove it in the process.

It's a DIY. Not hard. You may need an alignment afterwards.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
renold458
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Depending on how many miles you have on the car, it may be worth replacing the front wheel bearing at the same time. They would have to remove it in the process.

It's a DIY. Not hard. You may need an alignment afterwards.
Car is about to hit 36K in 300 miles. I'd swap it out, just having a hard time finding any DIY documentation/video on the knuckle. Doubt the wheel bearing will have the same issue since I may have seen a few of those tutorials in my search.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
ktw
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 f31 328i xDrive

I agree with Polo--nothing tricky about the DIY to replace a front knuckle. Just a bunch of unbolting/bolting of the control arms, tie rod, brake carrier, etc. and slipping the strut out of the knuckle. I followed directions on newTIS. The hardest part for me was getting the torque+90 deg on the hub bolts. With the hub and knuckle off the car, there isn't much to hold on to; with them on the car clearance to access the bolts was tight (but would be much easier on RWD or with a lift).

Double check you get the correct hub bolts. BMW changed the thread pitch at some point.

Presumably if the strut dropped down in the knuckle, you will also want to inspect the bottom of the strut to make sure nothing was damaged there.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
ktw
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 f31 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktw View Post
Double check you get the correct hub bolts. BMW changed the thread pitch at some point.
Actually on that note, I should have 8 of the 31-20-6-872-920 bolts in my garage since I got the wrong ones at first. PM me if you want them since it looks like you're nearby (I'm in Mountain View).
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #6
renold458
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree with Polo--nothing tricky about the DIY to replace a front knuckle. Just a bunch of unbolting/bolting of the control arms, tie rod, brake carrier, etc. and slipping the strut out of the knuckle. I followed directions on newTIS. The hardest part for me was getting the torque+90 deg on the hub bolts. With the hub and knuckle off the car, there isn't much to hold on to; with them on the car clearance to access the bolts was tight (but would be much easier on RWD or with a lift).

Presumably if the strut dropped down in the knuckle, you will also want to inspect the bottom of the strut to make sure nothing was damaged there.
Thanks for the newTIS resource, basically what I'm looking for. Now to find the right document I do happen to have an RWD F36 (2019) and the part numbers listed for the hardware in the OP I assume are the right ones as that was in the parts quote the dealer gave me. I'm probably going to take it to an Indy to check out the strut and the knuckle condition and go from there. Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
renold458
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually on that note, I should have 8 of the 31-20-6-872-920 bolts in my garage since I got the wrong ones at first. PM me if you want them since it looks like you're nearby (I'm in Mountain View).
Sending you a PM now!
Appreciate 0