E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > "Dinan Authorized Dealer" Does that even mean anything?

09-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
ClarkGriswold
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i, Audi Q7

"Dinan Authorized Dealer" Does that even mean anything?

A while back I needed to take my car into the dealership for some service work. I spoke with the SA about Dinan and the possiblity of getting the Stg. II reflash.

I have never seen anyone try to talk me out of something more in my life. The dealership basically said that the service department manager will not do the Dinan reflash on the 335i. He then told me all the rumors that have been floating around this forum (i.e. Dinan/BMW relationship ending, BMW Performace Flash upgrade, Issues with Dinan).

Here is the question or issue: What kind of "Authorized Dealer" will not sell the prodcut they have contracted to sell?

Is Dinan aware that their "Authorized Dealers" are steering people away from their product?

I understand that the dealerships first alliance is to the car manufacturer, but to go out of your way to NOT sell a product you have committed/contracted to support, seems a bit dishonest. If they don't believe in the product, they need to do the right thing and end the relationship with Dinan. As it sits now, they are able to bring people into the door with help from the Dinan name, then steer them away (I am not saying that is what is happening, but it could happen).

That is like going to a BMW dealership and the salesperson talks you into a Lexus.

Just my thoughts. Anyone else?

Last edited by ClarkGriswold; 09-23-2008 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
superlubricity
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 C63, '08 X3, '04 Ranger

Garage List
Wow. Thankfully I have two Dinan Authorized "Signature Series" Dealers in my area. Sig. Series Dealers are prettty tight with Dinan. They prep and package S cars for sale and promote the full line of Dinan parts.

http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/cars-for-sale
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
oddjob2021
ASR Turbos+LSD+Meth= :D
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Interesting, Go talk to the Dinan sales and see what they say?

2007 335i Coupe
Mods: Check the Garage
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

That dealership is Desert BMW of Las Vegas. The Henderson dealer is owned by the same company and they did all of my Dinan work with no problems. It is pretty weird I must say.
      09-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
ClarkGriswold
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
That dealership is Desert BMW of Las Vegas. The Henderson dealer is owned by the same company and they did all of my Dinan work with no problems. It is pretty weird I must say.
We don't know that its Desert BMW of Las Vegas... Just kidding.

Vegaspeed... I still need to ride in your 335i, and feel the love of the DINAN. I have just been super busy.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

I was just at Russell BMW here in Baltimore taking a look at a M3 steering wheel. I got to talking with one of their sales reps about the 135/335 etc. he brought up Dinan, I brought up aftermarket tunes. I then said "well at least your warranty stays intact w/ Dinan." he immediately chuckled and said "not anymore". I responded with "well you have the dinan warranty, not the BMW at that point". He said "yup! hope nothing breaks major..."

didnt matter to me as I'm not interested in the Dinan products.

I took him for a ride in my tuned 335, he was VERY impressed with the feel and speed and sound. he admitted it felt a good deal faster than the current M3.....He also liked the fact that I can turn off my tune w/ the push of a button while driving. he thought that would be great for when his wife drives the car.
      09-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
ClarkGriswold
Private First Class
Rep

I spoke with Dinan yesterday. Like you could possibly imagine, they weren't pleased in the least that their "Authorized Dealer" was steering people away from their product.

He also told me that Desert BMW of Henderson does quite a bit more Dinan products than Desert BMW of Las Vegas. Just as Vegaspeed had said.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Knauz BMW (also a Dinan dealer) did the same thing to me -- I asked my SA if their Dinan guy was in the office and all the SA's ganged up saying that Dinan mods for my 335 were a horrible horrible idea and they always recommend against them to customers. I didn't even get as far as mentioning what parts I was interested in.

What kind of salesman blows off a sale with a 100% retail profit margin?

The thing that pisses me off is I've talked to another fantastic local shop who said they'd love to become an authorized Dinan dealer but can't because of Dinan's commitments to Knauz.
Appreciate 0