BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-24-2020, 06:18 AM   #1
jsx
Rep
Drives: 2020 G01

ID7 instrument cluster – BMW pls fix the middle part

I have 2020 X3 with Live Cockpit Pro. In general, I like the new instrument cluster – design, information displayed, etc. There is one thing about it that makes me feel bad though. It’s the middle part, not well utilized in the current version.

I don’t like the navi/route preview option currently available. The way it’s implemented makes it useless to me. I use the infotainment display and/or HUD for navigation. And if the navi/route preview option is disabled, there is a big black hole between speedo and tacho. Such a waste of space. And actually a design flaw.

I can see how BMW is addressing this issue in the newer models like g05, g20 and few others by enabling Assisted Driving View. This is really nice. Having it would be best to address my concern. But I understand it’s tightly coupled with the Driver Assistant Pro hardware. And we’ll see it in this form in X3 no earlier than in 2022 model.

Wondering if BMW could add something like a ‘Lite’ version of the Assisted Driving View for ours 2020/21 X3s in one of the upcoming software updates. Making use of the existing hardware and visualizing adaptive cruise/lane assist operations.

Curious your opinion.

Also, any other ideas how to make a better use of the center of the new instrument cluster in the cars w/o Driver Assistant Pro welcome.

Btw,
BMW engineers – If you guys are reading this, pls act on it or fwd to the right team/individuals in your company. Fixing this issue would greatly improve the user experience. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

I'm a huge fan of BMW's in-car tech. It's far and away the best in the business with one major exception - Live Cockpit Pro. For whatever reason, all of BMW's attempts to do a digital dash have been epic failures imo. fwiw, like the OP, I just leave the center part of the display empty. It's better than the spaghetti string "map" and since I use Waze nav in the center display, the route preview is of no use. But it looks like BMW is committed to this format, at least thru the current generation of cars. So there's little hope of an upgrade I think.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
I am ok with it. I like the in cluster Nav. Between that and the turn-by-turn in the HUD is good.. I use a map widget in the console screen to show "route overview"; plus my current media selection and weather.

Best full cluster screen I used was in a Peugeot rental us France 3 years ago. Had numerous selections you could choose from with a whell selector in steering wheel - plus custom option. Was way cool.

Telsa decent too. They should all be highly skinned / customizable IMO.
      06-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
sant.aries08
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 30i M Sport

I absolutely agree with jsx and he has explained the problem very well. I am thinking BMW coding might be the solution. And may be the Assisted Driving View option is already built in but not enabled. But I am just an old kid on the block who know nothing about coding stuff, so seeking expertise of tech heads hear. Listed below is a screenshot of Assisted Driving View in live cockpit taken from G20 and a youtube video link on coding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EP_JKu0Q4M&t=585s

it will be helpful if some one can tell:

1. If enabling Assisted Driving View on live cockpit is POSSIBLE.
2. How it can be done or if someone can do it for some charge in Melbourne Australia.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0