F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Still having issues with car not starting with key in car
Extreme Powerhouse

06-25-2020, 04:47 PM   #1
ImmDanny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro

Still having issues with car not starting with key in car

I made a post a few weeks back stating that sometimes when I'm in the car (2014 335i) with the key fob, I can press the start button and nothing will happen. No warnings, no noise, nothing. From there it takes anywhere from 1 to 12 more pushes of the start button for the car to start. Sometimes I can leave the key in my pocket, sometimes I bring it up to the steering column, but even then it still takes a couple presses of the start button.

I replaced the coin battery in the key fob, I've tried both key fobs (occurs with both), I've made sure I don't have a phone near the key fob, make sure door is closed.

Not sure what else to or what it could be. Bad key fobs? Bad start button? Bad sensor that detects the key? Something else?

I will say that it doesn't happen EVERY single time, but quite often. Doesn't matter if the car was off for 1 minute since I last started it, or a day or 2, it's just random.

I will say that locking the car via the BMW button on the key fob or by touching the little pad on the door handle sometimes takes a few presses as well. The unlock via door handle always works. This makes me lean toward key fob possibly being bad, but still not sure. The lock isn't as big of an annoyance as the taking 15 presses of the start button to start the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #2
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

I don’t know, but if it’s happening with BOTH fobs, I would be ruling out the fobs and looking to the piece they both have in common, the car’s sensor that reads the fob.
Appreciate 0