BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-26-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
archway007
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Fullscreen Carplay

Hey guys, just successfully got fullscreen carplay working. Here's a few tips for anyone having troubles.

I have a 2019 X3 M40i, iDrive6, with firmware version NBTevo_U19384l (more on this in a bit).

Depending on the firmware version, you'll either need todo this with a USB or a ethernet to E-SYS.

With firmware versions N and O, it looks like you can use USB, versions P, Q, R, S, U, you need the Enet cable.

I picked up the Enet cable on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To determine firmware version, go to "Navigation" -> Choose "Map" -> Press Options button -> Select "Navigation settings" -> Scroll down to "Position and version" -> Select "Version information"

Since I have a Macbook Pro 2017, I needed a few other things to make this work, the first is a enet to usb-c cable. The other is running windows on my machine.

I was able to make this work with VirtualBox and windows 10 home edition.

The trick with VirtualBox, is you must make sure that you set your additional ethernet line in the network settings to bridge mode, and specify the plugged in ethernet cord from the car. I would double check on your mac's network settings to ensure that the DHCP server issued the connection an IP Address.

After that, I was able to run through the installer in a few minutes with no problems.

There's alot of coding options online, personally I found this one on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NBT-EVO-BMW...n/254126008338
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #2
we0
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3

Too bad I can't do this with my 2020 x3. I have a ENTRYNAV2, still trying to research any solutions but no luck. Don't know why there's 2 different firmwares
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:19 AM   #3
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Found this thread doing a search. I’m trying to code full screen carplay with a ENET cable to my MacBook Pro using VirtualBox VM with windows 10 guest OS. Windows is unable to detect anything over the ENET cable and I was trying (unsuccessfully) to get USB pass through working. Now I feel dumb because clearly the ENET connection works like a network adapter even though it’s plugged into apple’s do-everything USB-C port (facepalm). Sounds like I just need to setup this secondary network adapter (after my wifi connection) to pass through in the VM settings as well?
Appreciate 0