BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-27-2020, 06:09 AM   #1
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 2.0D X Line G01

Professional Sat Nav

Is there any way when you select a destination using the Interactive Map, I would like to type the destination rather than accepting just the destination from the map.

I could overwrite the destination on my previous two X3's that had bog standard Sat Nav. Your help would be greatly appreciated as at the moment I have several destinations that at first glance I don't know where they are until going into the map and enlarging to find what area it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 07:31 AM   #2
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
I'm not sure, if I understand it correctly, but:
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
VrmmVrmm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 XLine G01

BMW used to have a site themselves whereby you could customise and plan a route that you preferred rather than the calculated route offered by the Nav System. They took it down which baffled me as I liked to use it...quick and simple to plan with. If you use Google Maps to customize a route you have to convert the format of the file(s) but that done and loaded into the Nav system it works perfectly. Trouble is very few utilities around to do the conversion. Adding intermediate points directly into the Nav System is also an option but tedious...clicking on a map and or dragging to a preferred optional route is very handy using the PC as the interface. Like I said if anyone knows of a utility to convert the Google Maps file to tar.gz format I too would like to hear about it. I do a fair bit of touring and scenic routes are required whereas A to B is what the Nav serves up.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

Mostly I press steering wheel button and just say Navigate to... and say where you want to go, this works really well for POI, so Navigate To St Anne’s Manor Hotel or Navigate to The Shard
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #5
VrmmVrmm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy509 View Post
Mostly I press steering wheel button and just say Navigate to... and say where you want to go, this works really well for POI, so Navigate To St Anne’s Manor Hotel or Navigate to The Shard
Yes you're correct but that's A to B (eg where you are straight to The Shard) no issue that's simple....it's plotting a route which needs to visit several other destinations on the route say 15 destinations. As I had mentioned this ability to compose a route easily is particularly useful say when you're pre-planning a scenic dive around the whole of the Peak District or the Highlands of Scotland.

Last edited by VrmmVrmm; 06-28-2020 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 09:57 PM   #6
IslandDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrmmVrmm View Post
Yes your're correct but that's A to B (eg where you are straight to The Shard) no issue that's simple....it's plotting a route which needs to visit several other destinations on the route say 15 destinations. As I had mentioned this ability to compose a route easily is particularly useful say when you're pre-planning a scenic dive around the whole of the Peak District or the Highlands of Scotland.
Just use voice commands in reverse from last stop to first, and add as stop? I setup multi-stop routes using voice all the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 01:59 AM   #7
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy509 View Post
The delights of St Anne's Manor....takes me back to the days of working in TVP for weeks at a time..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 02:15 AM   #8
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe I was not clear,

Using the interactive Map find the exact location you want, zoom in, press controller and a box appears, press Navigate To or Save. As the location does not have an address or POI, I want to manually input the address using the Controller, as I said, I could do this with my previous X3's that had standard Navigation, my new X3 has the Professional Version, I hope that is more clear than my opening post.
Thank you for all of your help so far
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 03:09 AM   #9
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Are you saying you want to add an address/POI to the map file?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:18 AM   #10
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
Maybe I was not clear,
Still a bit unclear . . . Do you want to name the destination while navigation is active, or do you want to save the destination with a name? And you have iD6, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:38 AM   #11
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
If you is the address, why use Interactive map. If you don't, and look up the place in the map, you don't need to add address anymore. :
      06-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #12
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
If you is the address, why use Interactive map. If you don't, and look up the place in the map, you don't need to add address anymore. :
Sometimes, the destination you want to save can only be input from the interactive map. My previous home was on a main street, but my driveway was behind the house accessed thru an alley that I couldn't save with a specific street number. So I saved the address through the interactive map and then re-named the saved address in my saved list. I have a hunch that's what the OP is trying to do.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 09:10 AM   #13
VrmmVrmm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandDriver View Post
Just use voice commands in reverse from last stop to first, and add as stop? I setup multi-stop routes using voice all the time.
Oh, I agree most things are possible but when it's also possible to have a whole route composed before you set out that improves the experience rather than having to interject as you go...I typically design a route maybe circa 200 miles and just set off knowing the Nav is set up to follow exactly the route planned and not making up it's own mind. I suppose in fairness I should state that this is my first BMW so I cannot reflect on drivers referring to what they had in their last BMW re: Nav. I had Merc & Lexus before BMW...I love the X3 G01.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #14
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Still a bit unclear . . . Do you want to name the destination while navigation is active, or do you want to save the destination with a name? And you have iD6, right?

Correct
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #15
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I don't have the address so use interactive map to find destination, then click navigate to then try and manually name that destination, i cannot do that, but could on the standard Navigation System but not the system I have now that is the Professional version
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #16
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Sometimes, the destination you want to save can only be input from the interactive map. My previous home was on a main street, but my driveway was behind the house accessed thru an alley that I couldn't save with a specific street number. So I saved the address through the interactive map and then re-named the saved address in my saved list. I have a hunch that's what the OP is trying to do.
Hinkley, that is exactly SPOT ON, Thank You, as I said I could do that with the standard Sat Nav but not what I have now which is the Professional System
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:27 PM   #17
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hinkley, that is exactly SPOT ON, Thank You, as I said I could do that with the standard Sat Nav but not what I have now which is the Professional System
Admiral, tomorrow I'll check out my iD7 X4, but you're a few hours ahead of me, so you may try the following, keeping in mind this is all from memory from my last car, which had iD6 . . .

- I'm guessing that you've already set a destination with the interactive map and so it should be shown as a set of coordinates in the list of Previous Destinations under the Destination Input menu (again, this is all from memory).
- If you click on the coordinates, you may get a pop-up menu with an option to "Save" the destination.
- If that option doesn't exist in the pop-up menu, go back to the list of Previous Destinations, highlight the coordinates in the list of Previous Destinations, and press the Options button behind the iDrive controller.
- That may give you a pop-up menu with an option to Save the destination. Once saved, I think that pressing the Options button again will give you another pop-up menu with an option to Name the saved destination.

- If none of that works, you may be able to name the destination directly in the list of Previous Destinations by highlighting the coordinates and pressing the Options button.

LMK if any of that works. If not, I'll jump in my car tomorrow, or one of the iD6 members may be able to better help. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 02:11 AM   #18
BatMeoW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Correct
I've my car for almost 3 years now, and have not even once used the car screen to input the destination. Probably that's why I never found out that you cannot name a destination. However, I've always been using the ConnectedApp to input the destination, and it allows you to edit/name the destination as you like. Once it's sent to the car, it shows it with the selected name, and you can pull it up from the "Recent destinations" or "Messages". You can also send the destination using Google Maps and name that as well. Though this works only when you're sending destination using computer, and not when using a phone.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 2
Admiral776.00
      06-29-2020, 02:13 AM   #19
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The problem that I have is when I want to navigate to somewhere with no actual address. I use the Ineractive Map to find the destination, I find it and save it, but when going back into Previous Destinations it gives the address as the nearest large town that could be 20 to 30 miles away, which is no use to me whatsoever, as I said earlier, on my previous X3's I could rename the destination and save it to Previous Destinations, making it a lot easier to find when scrolling through Prev Dest. for a return visit, I hope this makes sense
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 05:13 AM   #20
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
I've spent half an hour trying to figure this out. I have ID6 with Pro SatNav. I don't have the option to save a destination from the map. I can just save it as a contact. I cannot rename destinations anywhere in the iDrive. The only place I can rename them is in the Connected Drive app (I have Android). Select destinations, tap on a destination a then in the right corner three dots, and you can change the name. This should have affect also on the name in the I drive SatNav, but I didn't check that out.
There is one route I didn't try - set a destination as GPS coordinates. Maybe in that case you can give a name to it.
      06-29-2020, 05:18 AM   #21
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep

Update from my earlier post

I have just spent an hour in the car trying various methods to overcome the problem, i have also tried Hinkley's good advice that I thank him for.
The result is the only way I can select the destination that I want and save and rename it. It is a bit of a faff but that is the only way it seems I can navigate to where I want to go using the Interactive Map and not having co-ordinates

1) Navigation
2) Interactive map
3) Use Controller to select the destination
4) Press Controller and Save Destination
5 The destination is not saved in Previous Destinations but in the Car's Contacts
6) You can then name that destination using the controller
7) The destination is then saved in Previous Destinations and Contacts
8) You can then go into Contacts and delete the contact and it is saved in Previous Destinations'

Eureka !!

I would like to thank everyone who has tried to figure out my dilemma

Admiral

Last edited by Admiral; 07-01-2020 at 05:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2020, 05:33 AM   #22
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've spent half an hour trying to figure this out. I have ID6 with Pro SatNav. I don't have the option to save a destination from the map. I can just save it as a contact. I cannot rename destinations anywhere in the iDrive. The only place I can rename them is in the Connected Drive app (I have Android). Select destinations, tap on a destination a then in the right corner three dots, and you can change the name. This should have affect also on the name in the I drive SatNav, but I didn't check that out.
There is one route I didn't try - set a destination as GPS coordinates. Maybe in that case you can give a name to it.
Thanks titomi, I did not try your last re GPS suggestion, I'll give it a go and report back

Last edited by Admiral; 06-30-2020 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0