BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #1
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

30e - good for 'car camping'?

I'm considering 30e for my next car, and have some questions around 'car camping'.
I've watched that BEV owners camp in car - just keeping A/C on at set temperature and sleep in their cars.

Can I do it in 30e, supposing it's at 100% battery?
1. Can I turn off the car, and just keep the A/C on only with the battery for 6-8 hours?

2. If yes, does it also keep any exterior/interior lights on? I've watched that XC60 PHEV can do #1, but it also keeps exterior lights on.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:19 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I cannot imagine this working. Even Tesla owners with a battery capacity 7-10x of the X3 30e (10kWh usable, IIRC) have to be mindful of not exhausting their batteries for an overnight trip. EDIT - well maybe slightly exaggerated, because at least you can use gas to drive yourself home.

I think best case, the 30e would consume about 1.5kW/hour. If your outside temp is <50ºF or >80ºF, it could be 2kW/hour, possible more with lights on.

Last edited by SamS; 06-28-2020 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:45 PM   #3
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I cannot imagine this working. Even Tesla owners with a battery capacity 7-10x of the X3 30e (10kWh usable, IIRC) have to be mindful of not exhausting their batteries for an overnight trip. EDIT - well maybe slightly exaggerated, because at least you can use gas to drive yourself home.

I think best case, the 30e would consume about 1.5kW/hour. If your outside temp is <50ºF or >80ºF, it could be 2kW/hour, possible more with lights on.
Thanks, yes, I'm not too concerned with using up the battery overnight, as I can use gas on the way home, just like you said.

It sounds like battery should be able to do A/C for 6-8 hours, then.
The only thing I need to know is whether it will keep everything off but the A/C, then. The last thing I want is to keep the lights on at the campsite.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:53 PM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX3DRIVER View Post
Thanks, yes, I'm not too concerned with using up the battery overnight, as I can use gas on the way home, just like you said.

It sounds like battery should be able to do A/C for 6-8 hours, then.
The only thing I need to know is whether it will keep everything off but the A/C, then. The last thing I want is to keep the lights on at the campsite.
Well a couple of things:
  • I don’t think it will only keep the A/C on, I think the car will be “awake”, i.e. in Park, and likely to consume >2kW/hour.
  • How do you know it won’t just decide to turn on the ICE after an hour or so? Meaning, regardless if the math/consumption might work out (I think real world, we’re still being too conservative), BMW probably didn’t design the car to just sit in Park for hours without the gas engine cutting on.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:05 PM   #5
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well a couple of things:
  • I don’t think it will only keep the A/C on, I think the car will be “awake”, i.e. in Park, and likely to consume >2kW/hour.
  • How do you know it won’t just decide to turn on the ICE after an hour or so? Meaning, regardless if the math/consumption might work out (I think real world, we’re still being too conservative), BMW probably didn’t design the car to just sit in Park for hours without the gas engine cutting on.
I'm a total newbie to PHEV, so probably I don't know anything about how ICE kicks in or is kept on.
So, if I want a camp mode, is BEV the only way?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:34 PM   #6
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX3DRIVER View Post
I'm a total newbie to PHEV, so probably I don't know anything about how ICE kicks in or is kept on.
So, if I want a camp mode, is BEV the only way?
To be safe, it's probably best to see if you can find a dealer with one in stock, and see if they'll let you borrow it for a few hours.

Only recently have the BEVs (like Tesla) really focused their software/consumption on 'camp mode'-type applications. Works pretty well for Tesla, but unless someone can confirm otherwise, I'd have to imagine BMW doesn't expect you to use the car in this manner.

Regardless if the vehicle somehow doesn't kick on the ICE, that 10kWh battery is not going to hold up overnight. I know we looked at the math, but showing up at your area with the full 10kWh capacity doesn't seem likely, even if you go in pure gas-only mode to get there.

And based on what I've seen with the X5 45e, the car itself decides when it wants to supplement the battery-only operation with the ICE. Check the vid starting about 10:25.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 06:51 PM   #7
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
To be safe, it's probably best to see if you can find a dealer with one in stock, and see if they'll let you borrow it for a few hours.

Only recently have the BEVs (like Tesla) really focused their software/consumption on 'camp mode'-type applications. Works pretty well for Tesla, but unless someone can confirm otherwise, I'd have to imagine BMW doesn't expect you to use the car in this manner.

Regardless if the vehicle somehow doesn't kick on the ICE, that 10kWh battery is not going to hold up overnight. I know we looked at the math, but showing up at your area with the full 10kWh capacity doesn't seem likely, even if you go in pure gas-only mode to get there.

And based on what I've seen with the X5 45e, the car itself decides when it wants to supplement the battery-only operation with the ICE. Check the vid starting about 10:25.

Thanks.
Your inputs helped a lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
What drives the need for air conditioning when car camping? Please tell us more about where you plan to camp and the details surrounding the expedition. I am a pretty experienced car camper.
Appreciate 0