F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > BBC News: Huge increase in speeding drivers during London lockdown
Extreme Powerhouse

06-29-2020, 05:36 AM   #1
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

BBC News: Huge increase in speeding drivers during London lockdown

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53215121

From the article:

The highest speeds recorded during the lockdown in London were:

-163mph on a 70mph road
-134mph on a 40mph road
-110mph on a 30mph road
-73mph on a 20mph road
      06-29-2020, 05:43 AM   #2
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

Round here I've only noticed people are driving slowly, dawdling around as if they have nothing else to do (probably true to some extent) and nowhere to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 06:14 AM   #3
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01

holy crap, I wonder what their defence will be - sorry guv new car, didn't realise the power, or I needed to get home for the loo etc etc

bye bye licence anyway!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53215121

From the article:

The highest speeds recorded during the lockdown in London were:

-163mph on a 70mph road
-134mph on a 40mph road
-110mph on a 30mph road
-73mph on a 20mph road
Some fu*ker near me doing his best to beat that 110 in a 30 on a bike, going through red lights at the same time. Be interesting to see the result if a truck was coming the other way...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Sorry officer, I was just out testing my eyesight. It seems I'm not able to see speed signs.
Appreciate 3
JustChris17487.50
      06-29-2020, 08:36 AM   #6
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Seems to be common for people to drive above 50 in a 30 since lockdown started.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #7
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Whilst I do not in anyway condone speeding, the number of police camera patrol cars I've seen this last few weeks has been staggering. Surely there must be something more productive they can be doing with their time.
For instance, this weekend some drug head parked his car on the estate near our house and promptly fell asleep. From 1am to 5am his car alarm must have gone off at least 50 times. Police attended and did nothing. Pathetic. Twot went back to sleep and off the alarm goes again. And again. The whole local estate were fuming. A few guys went to have a word, and he just shouts back that he's entitled to park wherever he wants.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      06-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #8
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Someone in Coventry was clocked at 129 in a 30. The report didn't say whether the driver had been found - I'd guess the car was on false plates or unregistered.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 12:01 PM   #9
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

There are 70mph sections in London?
      06-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
There are 70mph sections in London?
This is the Met's area of jurisdiction, so a few A roads and a little bit of motorway, Chris
Attached Images

06-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #11
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
Whilst I do not in anyway condone speeding, the number of police camera patrol cars I've seen this last few weeks has been staggering. Surely there must be something more productive they can be doing with their time.
For instance, this weekend some drug head parked his car on the estate near our house and promptly fell asleep. From 1am to 5am his car alarm must have gone off at least 50 times. Police attended and did nothing. Pathetic. Twot went back to sleep and off the alarm goes again. And again. The whole local estate were fuming. A few guys went to have a word, and he just shouts back that he's entitled to park wherever he wants.
1) camera vans are nearly always manned by civilians and not warranted officers. The tickets are processed and sent out by civilians.

2) a van alarm going off - So the police turned up, found nothing untoward going on and leave. I'm not sure what you would expect the police to do? Incredibly annoying but I can't see how it's a police matter.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #12
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Quote:
1) camera vans are nearly always manned by civilians and not warranted officers. The tickets are processed and sent out by civilians.

2) a van alarm going off - So the police turned up, found nothing untoward going on and leave. I'm not sure what you would expect the police to do? Incredibly annoying but I can't see how it's a police matter.
Sat in his car with the alarm going off. Surely that would suggest DG90? Or is it normal to sleep through your own car alarm?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #13
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Sat in his car with the alarm going off. Surely that would suggest DG90? Or is it normal to sleep through your own car alarm?
I read it as he parked his van up and went asleep somewhere on the estate, ie he lived there.

Even so, if officers have spoken with him, and there's no suspicion of alcohol then there's nothing to stop someone sleeping in the van even if the alarm is going off.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 12:23 AM   #14
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

They think London is bad they should try the countryside too. I have seen 50 in a 20 - there are kids around the corner for heaven's sake. 70 in a 30. Empty roads are bringing out the worst in some. With many city slickers fleeing London for a getaway or permanent move the country lanes are awash with inexperienced drivers. I've also noticed more drivers opting to drive well over the hazard line to avoid damaging their lease wheels.

I've been chilling. I was behind a cyclist on a 20. He asked if I was going to overtake l said you're alright mate. It's been nice not rushing around.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 08:00 AM   #15
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I read it as he parked his van up and went asleep somewhere on the estate, ie he lived there.

Even so, if officers have spoken with him, and there's no suspicion of alcohol then there's nothing to stop someone sleeping in the van even if the alarm is going off.
Mmm, see what you mean. Can you confirm goodbyalfa ? Was the guy sleeping in his car or in a house/flat?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 08:37 AM   #16
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mmm, see what you mean. Can you confirm goodbyalfa ? Was the guy sleeping in his car or in a house/flat?
Probably me not reading it correctly.

I seemed to think he was in a van when clearly it was a car!
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 09:24 AM   #17
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
I've been chilling. I was behind a cyclist on a 20. He asked if I was going to overtake l said you're alright mate. It's been nice not rushing around.
I’ve always found driving at 20mph annoying, there’s something about it in a car, it’s as though you’re hardly moving, and you can’t even drive in 4th gear at that speed in some manual cars either.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      07-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #18
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Quote:
I’ve always found driving at 20mph annoying, there’s something about it in a car, it’s as though you’re hardly moving, and you can’t even drive in 4th gear at that speed in some manual cars either.
I used to hate it too but it's better than a 5 mph limit. A lot of 20 zones here and 20 cameras. Then straight on to national speed limit roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #19
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
I used to hate it too but it's better than a 5 mph limit. A lot of 20 zones here and 20 cameras. Then straight on to national speed limit roads.
If it was a 5mph limit I’d walk there faster

Luckily there aren’t too many 20 zones round my way, it’s mainly just a few short ones outside schools which I don’t mind slowing down for for obvious safety reasons.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00