BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Heated seats as a service? BMW wants to sell car features on demand

07-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Heated seats as a service? BMW wants to sell car features on demand

They didn't learn anything from Carplay...

Quote:
Heated seats as a service? BMW wants to sell car features on demand

BMW says it's a way to try before you buy, but do people want an extra monthly fee?

Jonathan M. Gitlin - 7/2/2020, 1:55 PM

I'm all too aware that connected cars aren't a popular topic around these parts, and that's unlikely to change with today's news. BMW is planning to move some features of its new cars to a subscription model, something it announced on Wednesday during a briefing for the press on the company's digital plans.

It's not an entirely new idea to the auto industry—Tesla has pioneered the idea of shipping vehicles with hardware that can be enabled at the time of purchase or later on for a fee. And BMW has done something similar in the past with infotainment features; for a while, if you wanted access to Apple CarPlay, you had to pay an $80 yearly subscription until the automaker abandoned that idea.

But those were for digital services—now the Bavarian carmaker has plans to apply that model to features like heated seats. BMW says that owners can "benefit in advance from the opportunity to try out the products for a trial period of one month, after which they can book the respective service for one or three years." The company also says that it could allow the second owner of a BMW to activate features that the original purchaser declined.

In fact, BMW has already started implementing this idea in some markets, allowing software unlocking of features like adaptive cruise control or high-beam assist (in the United States, those options are usually standard equipment). Other features are more whimsical, like having a Hans Zimmer-designed sound package for your electric BMW or adaptive suspension for your M-car. Indeed, the company says that its forthcoming iNext will "expand the opportunities for personalization." I'm sure y'all can't wait.
Source: Heated seats as a service? BMW wants to sell car features on demand
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
Zagnificent55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C (LBB+6MT+MR)

Simply no. On a BMW features like those should be standard, especially if they’re tied to a hardware component. If the feature is purely software, like Tesla autopilot, I’d have much more leeway for something that involved that changes the experience and functionality of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagnificent55 View Post
Simply no. On a BMW features like those should be standard, especially if they’re tied to a hardware component. If the feature is purely software, like Tesla autopilot, I’d have much more leeway for something that involved that changes the experience and functionality of the car.
Except that the Tesla semi-auto driver is tied to a bunch of hardware. Much more that a seat heater is.

I don't want any car I own to have a feature that can be turned on and off by anyone but me. That is just asking for trouble.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #4
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Connected Car Beta Days 2020: July Brings Comprehensive Software Upgrade https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1735658

Your next BMW might only have heated seats for 3 months https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1735439
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0