F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Transferring car ownership to a family member
Studio RSR

07-04-2020, 04:51 AM   #1
AnotherGrey
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Transferring car ownership to a family member

It appears that even if you are giving a car to a family member at the same address, you have to go through the same procedure with the DVLA as if you were selling the car.

Does this add a previous keeper to the car's V5C - I assume it does?

Presumably we'll have to pay the VED again for that month as we would if we sold it?

Are there any legitimate ways to give a car to a family member without these downsides?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 05:00 AM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGrey View Post
It appears that even if you are giving a car to a family member at the same address, you have to go through the same procedure with the DVLA as if you were selling the car.

Presumably we'll have to pay the VED again for that month as we would if we sold it?

Are there any legitimate ways to give a car to a family member without these downsides?

Thanks
I had the same issue so it’s still in my daughters name - we live at same address so no issues with notifications such as road fund, offences etc...
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2020, 05:04 AM   #3
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

I don’t think you can do this without adding a keeper to the V5, but the VED can mostly be worked around with good timing.

If you ‘sell’ the car towards the end of the month (so you’ve had benefit of that months VED), and re-tax at the start of the next month, you’ll only lose a day or two. Ideally you want the car off the highway during this period, but I’m not sure the system updates quickly enough for it to show as untaxed if it was just parked up somewhere.

Make sure you transfer ownership online to avoid postage delays and DVLA ineptitude.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2020, 05:05 AM   #4
AnotherGrey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I had the same issue so it’s still in my daughters name - we live at same address so no issues with notifications such as road fund, offences etc...
Thanks, but doesn't that approach complicate things with the insurance company? I thought that they preferred the owner, keeper and driver to be the same person? Perhaps I'm behind the times on this, as I realise that lease cars aren't like this.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 05:10 AM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, but doesn't that approach complicate things with the insurance company? I thought that they preferred the owner, keeper and driver to be the same person? Perhaps I'm behind the times on this, as I realise that lease cars aren't like this.
There is a question that asks if you are the registered keeper, I just say no, but yes to owner. Premium didn’t seem to be affected...
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2020, 05:24 AM   #6
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Quote:
They don't care really. My wife and I have ended up insuring each other's cars numerous times and really was of no concern or impact on price.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2020, 05:34 AM   #7
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
They don't care really. My wife and I have ended up insuring each other's cars numerous times and really was of no concern or impact on price.
I agree. As long as you're honest about who the main driver is, and the registered keeper is a close relative at the same address, they almost certainly won't be bothered.

If the relationship was more distant, in both meanings of the word, it would probably prompt some further questions.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 05:36 AM   #8
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

And there's no way round avoiding it being an additional owner, so if it's a close relative at same address then not transferring it may be a better option.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 05:42 AM   #9
AnotherGrey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Good to know. If they don't really care about the answer, I'm surprised that they ask the question.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 05:58 AM   #10
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Good to know. If they don't really care about the answer, I'm surprised that they ask the question.
Its insurance. You should see some of the questions they have asked as additional requirements for the Covid 19 outbreak for our work insurance, even the brokers struggle to see the relevance. Arse covering at its finest....

Renewal through for M5 today - only a 21% increase.... might put a bit more effort into getting a better price this time!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #11
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Its insurance. You should see some of the questions they have asked as additional requirements for the Covid 19 outbreak for our work insurance, even the brokers struggle to see the relevance. Arse covering at its finest....

Renewal through for M5 today - only a 21% increase.... might put a bit more effort into getting a better price this time!
That's quite a hike. I was surprised recently that switching from my old 335d to the 840i cost £10 for the remaining 3 months of my policy.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 09:04 AM   #12
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:

Thanks
Whilst you don't HAVE to transfer it, bear in mind that YOU (the registered keeper) are legally liable for ensuring the car is roadworthy, MOT'd, and taxed.

Transfer it over, and the family member is liable.

Teaching responsibility, and all that (if it's one of the kids)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #13
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:

That's quite a hike. I was surprised recently that switching from my old 335d to the 840i cost £10 for the remaining 3 months of my policy.
Is that because you gave your current mileage as about 10 a week
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 04:05 PM   #14
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Is that because you gave your current mileage as about 10 a week

I seem to be managing a couple of hundred miles a week at the moment despite not really going anywhere. I blame the B58

I do wonder how they arrive at their premium figures - I had quotes for the switch to an X3MC and the 840i over the last few months. Both of them were about the same as my 6 year old 335d...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 03:58 AM   #15
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
M5 was twice the SQ5 that preceded it and this years was the wrong side of £1100...

A bit of comparison site effort and I am down below £800 again... would try BMW insurance but they insist on a tracker... and if it gets nicked I don’t want it back...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 04:22 AM   #16
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
I seem to be managing a couple of hundred miles a week at the moment despite not really going anywhere. I blame the B58

I do wonder how they arrive at their premium figures - I had quotes for the switch to an X3MC and the 840i over the last few months. Both of them were about the same as my 6 year old 335d...
The insurance companies are in the BMW knowledge group, they know that the 335d is the fastest car BMW make......
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 09:11 AM   #17
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Unfortunately my B58 is waiting for the track rods to be replaced before they "catastrophically" break. Hopefully it will get done tomorrow as I've got a week off and I'm certainly planning on putting some miles on.

Since I hit middle age I've been surprised at how affordable my car insurance has been, including a few quotes I got for very expensive cars just out of curiosity. I guess the main things they want to know are, will you maim or kill someone, and to a lesser extent, will it get nicked. If you live in a low crime area and you've got an OK driving record, the actual car probably doesn't make a massive difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 02:53 PM   #18
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately my B58 is waiting for the track rods to be replaced before they "catastrophically" break. Hopefully it will get done tomorrow as I've got a week off and I'm certainly planning on putting some miles on.

Since I hit middle age I've been surprised at how affordable my car insurance has been, including a few quotes I got for very expensive cars just out of curiosity. I guess the main things they want to know are, will you maim or kill someone, and to a lesser extent, will it get nicked. If you live in a low crime area and you've got an OK driving record, the actual car probably doesn't make a massive difference.
Just wait till you are a bit older, mine is definitely on the increase now. Might add my 28 year old daughter to see if that helps...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 03:16 PM   #19
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Just wait till you are a bit older, mine is definitely on the increase now. Might add my 28 year old daughter to see if that helps...
Despite your attitude to house music I think you're only a few years older than me. Must be down to where you live
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #20
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Despite your attitude to house music I think you're only a few years older than me. Must be down to where you live
Nope, it’s because I have more cultured tastes! Give me rock, punk, or indie...

I’m nearer 60 than 50 so I grew up in the good years....
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 03:37 AM   #21
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

Quote:
They will care depending on the answer you give
Appreciate 0