F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > any window fitters?
Extreme Powerhouse

07-05-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

hey guys

I purchased a new build last year with 2 velux windows on the top floor. When it rains heavy they leak through the handle but only when it hammers it down. Ive had the window fitters out 3 times but they can't seem to see where its leaking. I've decided to take a look myself i think I can see where waters getting in but I don't have any experience with windows at all so looking for any ones advice. ive posted some pictures below excuse the poor quality it was quite awkward [IMG]undefined[/IMG]

thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Tell builder : get someone competent in to fix it, or I get an independent in to fix it, and then bill you (and if need be, take you to court to get the bill paid) for the expense of doing so.

They've had 3 chances. You've been reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #3
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Have you measured the pitch of the roof? Velux require 15 degree pitch minimum. Just having an extension drawn up and it's a big factor apparently.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

I'd advise contacting NHBC, this is exactly what your Buildmark policy is for. If they agree it's not right, they'll instruct the builder to fix it. If it's still not right, NHBC will either get it fixed for you, or pay you to get it fixed.

That avoids you paying someone else upfront and running the risk of not getting your money back.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Can’t tell myself from the pics but has it got the flashing kit installed?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 01:13 AM   #6
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

^ as above. Can't see a flashing kit. Pitch is an easy fix with angle adaptors that won't involve tearing the roof apart.

NHBC.

Third party glazer for quote or advice. Off the record won't cost. For example a free quote from a glazer saying you're thinking of replacing it and saying why. Then ask your questions. Officially you'll have to pay a surveyor or glazer if you want a report. You then take said report to NHBC and provided you meet their criteria for claim then you claim.

Has the house builder finished all the plots? If their around on Phase 2 or something it's easier to approach the builder directly and say yes two years is up but would they consider it because it's their error etc.

Who is the house builder? Have you tried explaining your plight to the customer services department? It sounds like you have if three visits have been made. Kick it up to their head office if that's the case.

Some ideas here on self-diagnosis:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/l...window.246962/
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 02:46 AM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
Can't tell myself from the pics but has it got the flashing kit installed?
Isn't it a pan flashed skylight, which doesn't require a flashing kit?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:16 AM   #8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

That velux looks like it isn’t installed with the correct gaps around the flashing, you should have about 80mm at the top of the window, this could cause water to bounce over the top and through the vent, it may also cause water to track back up under the tiles but this is less likely give the drop stops on the flashing.

Have a look on their website for the I instructions specific to that window and check the gaps around the edge first.

Is it coming around the frame into the vent or coming through the vent because the first option would indicate the felt isn’t sealed properly against the window frame.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:50 AM   #9
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
Can't tell myself from the pics but has it got the flashing kit installed?
Isn't it a pan flashed skylight, which doesn't require a flashing kit?
I can't tell from the pics but I thought they stood out from the roof more but I'm no expert
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 05:40 AM   #10
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I can't tell from the pics but I thought they stood out from the roof more but I'm no expert
the flashing kit appears to be installed, otherwise it wouldn't have its hood installed.

You can install them recessed or proud depending on tile type and designers intent.
      07-06-2020, 07:37 AM   #11
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
I'd advise contacting NHBC, this is exactly what your Buildmark policy is for. If they agree it's not right, they'll instruct the builder to fix it. If it's still not right, NHBC will either get it fixed for you, or pay you to get it fixed.

That avoids you paying someone else upfront and running the risk of not getting your money back.
Just be aware that most NHBC claims have clauses now... such as min cost and water ingress before they will step in for roof work.

The hood looks ok, so either its the angle or the sealant around (which is the most common as shoddy work they tend to seal around the protective film which lifts)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #12
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
Just be aware that most NHBC claims have clauses now... such as min cost and water ingress before they will step in for roof work.

The hood looks ok, so either its the angle or the sealant around (which is the most common as shoddy work they tend to seal around the protective film which lifts)
These windows do not need sealant, if they have used sealant - they have fudged it