BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions false driver side seatbelt warning

07-06-2020, 10:59 PM   #1
Brad4fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05/G30

false driver side seatbelt warning

today this happened to me, seatbelt warning went off while I was driving. parked, unbuckled and buckled up again solved the problem. not sure if this gonna happen again in the future.

will book a service again. all those small things just drive you crazy. g30 is nice car but way too many those little things. maybe it's just mine car...

what happen to the german engineering?!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad4fun View Post
today this happened to me, seatbelt warning went off while I was driving. parked, unbuckled and buckled up again solved the problem. not sure if this gonna happen again in the future.

will book a service again. all those small things just drive you crazy. g30 is nice car but way too many those little things. maybe it's just mine car...

what happen to the german engineering?!
Modern luxury cars, especially the Germans, have so much technology that it is almost certain that some things will go wrong. On the other hand, I have had my 530e for approximately 30 months and have had only minor problems (the problem with the grills and the latch in the storage compartment below the light switches not staying closed; I waited until i had a scheduled maintenance to have the door replaced). Otherwise, mine has been rock solid and I loaded mine up with all the tech.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Not sure how well BMW's stack up against other makes
Would need to break out issues into those that stop the car driving or a breakdown and those when some piece of ancillary equipment fails that is a nuisance ie I drive display as an example

Had my 540 now for 3 years and other than a coolant leak fixed under warranty and the backup camera not working on 3 occasions it's been good as gold
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #4
Brad4fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05/G30

Thanks for the reply. I have this car for just over 2 years now, and I for the most part it's fine. For the record here's what went wrong for my car.

Tire leaking air, factory defect, and replaced at the dealership
Coolant low warning, top up at dealership
Engine light came on for the grill shutter, fixed at dealership
Backup camera black out, fixed at the dealership
Passenger side rattle sound, fixed at the dealership (turns out inside passenger side door cable hitting something and battery tray screw is loose)
And now is this ghost seatbelt warning

That's a lot of dealership visits within 2 years of ownership, mind you it's a brand new car. Some of those needs multiple visit.

Anyway, all those little things make you super paranoid about any warning sound. Every time you hear something in the car you're like now what....

But, I for the most part, it's fine car when it's behave like it should be.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 10:42 PM   #5
basementman
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540iXdrive

This is a quick fix. Just had it done to me a few months ago. There is a TSB to secure loose wire harness under the seat. All good once fixed.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 12:44 AM   #6
540i_DFW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i, BMW 540i xDrive

Did you have your cell phone on the passenger seat? I know the passenger occupancy sensors in the roof lining are sensitive to cell phone frequency and will cause the warning. As soon as you remove it the warning will stop.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #7
cbruno4444
Rep
Drives: 2020 G30

Yeah, I feel your pain. I've driven a Toyota, Lexus, or Infiniti since I've been old enough to drive, and never had small "glitchy" issues with those makes, as I've had regularly on my BMW. But I'd never return to them, as BMW is just on a whole different level of driving and ride quality, and comfort/amenities. As someone else said, it's almost an unfair comparison because of how much technology integration BMW has vs. Japanese luxury brands.

The latest on my G30 is that the steering column tilt/shift spasms when I turn the car on, instead of coming down to proper position. And it then gets stuck in the wrong position with the switch dead until I turn off/lock the car and recycle the electronics. Happens maybe 10% of the time I get in the car. Annoying, but a small price to pay to drive such a pleasurable machine.
Appreciate 1