BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Things to know before you buy?

07-07-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
Marlbombs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Things to know before you buy?

Hi all, I am working on closing a deal on a slightly used M2C which will be my daily driver. I've been all over the map with cars: some hondas back in the day, a couple of STI's, an Evo X, and a 135i. Anyhow, I have test driven a couple of M2Cs so I have a small idea of what to expect. I was just wondering if there is anything you wish you knew before you bought the car, any pleasant (or not so pleasant) surprises you discovered after you got the car, or just some general wisdom for a new guy. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 08:03 PM   #2
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Honestly, its such a basic car feature wise, that doing a bit of research you realize what this car offers. Its what makes the M2 great. You cant add 30K in options, there are like 3 options (besides the CF stuff). What you do realize is that it may not sound so great, its not the fastest car on the road, or even have the best stereo. But boy, does it do everything great for a street car all at once, all while being truly understated and under the radar.

After driving the M3 for 6 months, I have less desire to change anything about it. Despite some shortcomings, its the most engaging car I've owned, always begging for your complete attention, your input on the gears/shifting, and begging to be driven hard.

So I guess to answer your question, dont buy this car to slide your seat back and just chill drive. Ain't happening...
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
Really_fat_ninja
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post

So I guess to answer your question, dont buy this car to slide your seat back and just chill drive. Ain't happening...
So you mean I shouldn’t be in comfort mode all the time?
      07-07-2020, 08:31 PM   #4
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really_fat_ninja View Post
Quote:

So you mean I shouldn’t be in comfort mode all the time?
Well, I guess unless you're a really really fat ninja. then comfort mode all the way.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 3
      07-07-2020, 08:31 PM   #5
Marlbombs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, its such a basic car feature wise, that doing a bit of research you realize what this car offers. Its what makes the M2 great. You cant add 30K in options, there are like 3 options (besides the CF stuff). What you do realize is that it may not sound so great, its not the fastest car on the road, or even have the best stereo. But boy, does it do everything great for a street car all at once, all while being truly understated and under the radar.

After driving the M3 for 6 months, I have less desire to change anything about it. Despite some shortcomings, its the most engaging car I've owned, always begging for your complete attention, your input on the gears/shifting, and begging to be driven hard.

All of that sounds great to me and is the majority of the appeal. That said, do you have any opinions on this car as a daily driver? Im coming from a Subaru STI so some noise and as stiff ride arent deterrents for me, and surely the stereo is better than my subaru haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 08:32 PM   #6
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbombs View Post
Hi all, I am working on closing a deal on a slightly used M2C which will be my daily driver. I've been all over the map with cars: some hondas back in the day, a couple of STI's, an Evo X, and a 135i. Anyhow, I have test driven a couple of M2Cs so I have a small idea of what to expect. I was just wondering if there is anything you wish you knew before you bought the car, any pleasant (or not so pleasant) surprises you discovered after you got the car, or just some general wisdom for a new guy. Thanks in advance!
If those cars where all manual (I had 2 of those 3) don't make this your first DCT, get a manual. You need to grow into a DCT if you are a manual person, you cannot just go cold turkey. Trust me. I did it for an F80 and sold it 6 months later for a manual M2C.

It's the perfect daily/canyon carver/track weapon in one. Is it the absolute best at any of those three things, no; but it's great at all of them which makes it right about perfect.

In all honesty I cannot think of anything I wish I knew before I got it (other than that it gave me a very hard 911 GT3 itch that I'm trying to shake for the sake of my bank account). But I research the hell out of my cars and am a pretty big M fan.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 09:13 PM   #7
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbombs View Post
Quote:

All of that sounds great to me and is the majority of the appeal. That said, do you have any opinions on this car as a daily driver? Im coming from a Subaru STI so some noise and as stiff ride arent deterrents for me, and surely the stereo is better than my subaru haha.
It's absolutely the perfect dd, for the reasons I mentioned. It's the complete package. You may start enjoying going to work just because you get to drive the M2.
Appreciate 1
Sarg33554.50
      07-07-2020, 11:57 PM   #8
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

I DD mine. I like a stiffer suspension setup, but I also slow down for bumps and stuff.

The manual transmission isn't amazing, but it 100 percent "scratches that itch" if you know what i mean. It feels reasonably satisfying and smooth but it isn't as tight and direct as some prefer. The rev matching works flawlessly, but if you want to match your own revs, you have to either turn off stability control all the way or just simply work with/around the system by rev matching yourself and letting the ecu occasionally correct you.

My only real complaint is that the fuel tank is small, which is sort of annoying because the car doesn't get great gas mileage.

I love driving this thing, its been a fantastic car in all the ways others have noted above.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:43 AM   #9
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, M550i, X545e

Is it worth it to save buying a used M2 with 10-20k in mileage for only a $8-10k savings in cost over a new car? I looked a a few "gently used" M2's only to find about half of them had previous issues. Between Carfax and a good relationship with my BMW service manager we pulled the history from 5 cars only to find issues I did not like so finally just said buying a new car was a much safer bet.
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:11 AM   #10
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN' View Post
Is it worth it to save buying a used M2 with 10-20k in mileage for only a $8-10k savings in cost over a new car? I looked a a few "gently used" M2's only to find about half of them had previous issues. Between Carfax and a good relationship with my BMW service manager we pulled the history from 5 cars only to find issues I did not like so finally just said buying a new car was a much safer bet.

You can't put a price tag on peace of mind, especially on a performance-oriented vehicle like the M2 or M2C.

If you where looking at something more conservative, like a 5 or 7 series, then I would have a different answer but If you can swing it, a model like this, I would certainly push to get one new..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:42 AM   #11
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
What kind of issues were these on 1-2 year old cars?
Appreciate 1
jkoral1024.50
      07-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #12
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C , DATSUN 260z, Porche

Quote:
It's absolutely the perfect dd, for the reasons I mentioned. It's the complete package. You may start enjoying going to work just because you get to drive the M2.

^^^^ THIS
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #13
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Ive come to the conclusion that no matter what car group you're in, and it doesnt matter how much power the car makes, someone will always say that it isnt that fast.

That being said i agree with everyone here about it being the perfect DD. With the exception of the really small gas tank, i also DD this car and i love it.

For me 410 hp is more than enough. I dont use all of it unless theres a clear open stretch of road and even then i dont really give her the beans the entire time.

Strangely, my biggest regret is not getting the DCT. Every car i've ever owned has been a MT except one, and for some reason i really wish i had gotten the DCT in this car. Its possible that i've just been massively spoiled by the MT cars i've owned (BRZ, S2000, Miata, Eclipse GST) and the BMW MT just doesnt really hold up. ALso because of how much power the M2C has, sometimes i feel i'm not getting to use as much of it because i cant just put my foot down and enjoy the speed. Dont get my wrong, i still love the car and i love driving MT, so this isnt a huge issue for me. But the small amount of time i spent in my 230i with the ZF transmission, i realized how nice it was to just sit back and let the car do the work. Again not a massive regret, just happens to be the main regret.

That being said i think i've realized that 400hp seems to be my threshold for a MT. Anything above that mark and i'm going ZF or DCT. Anything below, i'll stick with MT.
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
JCZ51483.50
Fabb228.50
      07-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #14
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
The exhaust produces artifical sounding burbles when you're in sport/sport+. I initially really didn't like it but it sort of grew on me. But I still think a lot of people might initially find it annoying (passengers, people on the street, etc.). I'm also worried that if I upgrade the exhaust then the burbles might get even louder.

You can apparently turn it off by tuning the car. But I'm still a bit confused myself on how easy that is to do on an M2C. I've read stuff about the ECU/DME being locked and needing to take it out and ship it somewhere to have someone unlock it. I don't mean to spread FUD around so someone please correct me if I'm wrong!! But then even if you turned it off via a tune, it feels risky for me since I don't want to risk the warranty (it'd be ridiculous but seems possible).
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #15
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

The burbles are also growing on me. They are more anoying when you let off from 3-4k or so and you have 15-20 burbles... they make more sense at higher RPM. In sport mode the burbles are little less "in your face" then Sport+. In a perfect world you would be able to select the burbles, rev match, fake sound and exrra cooling independently...
      07-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #16
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

I bought mine to DD. I look forward to driving it to and from work. It is basically the highlight of my work day. I take it out on the weekends just to go for a drive. Plenty of acceleration for the public roads, corners like it is on rail, comfortable, large enough trunk. This car really is the whole package to me. Buy it, you will not be disappointed.

Current: 2021 X3M
Gone but not forgotten: 2020 M2C LBB MT
Appreciate 1
jdubm2c169.00
      07-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #17
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
But I still think a lot of people might initially find it annoying (passengers, people on the street, etc.)
cut to me driving down by Alki beach, car in 1st gear at 3K Rpms in sport+. Inching along in traffic for ten or so seconds before letting off the gas to just the loudest "Blat! brap! burbleburblegrrrrr"

The question becomes "am I the worst?" to which the answer is undoubtedly "yeah. Yeah sometimes I most definitely AM the worst. Sorry world. Now hear this"

"BLAP! BRAP! Burbleburbleburbleburble...."
Appreciate 7
ESB1051.00
BlkSVT388.50
Fuji550i389.50
Brandt51902.50
Bumpinjeep5559.50
Fabb228.50
      07-08-2020, 03:58 PM   #18
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
cut to me driving down by Alki beach, car in 1st gear at 3K Rpms in sport+. Inching along in traffic for ten or so seconds before letting off the gas to just the loudest "Blat! brap! burbleburblegrrrrr"

The question becomes "am I the worst?" to which the answer is undoubtedly "yeah. Yeah sometimes I most definitely AM the worst. Sorry world. Now hear this"

"BLAP! BRAP! Burbleburbleburbleburble...."
I know people complain the M2C should be louder etc etc, but frankly the stock exhaust is perfectly ok unless you want attention all the time. It burbles and farts just enough to put a smile on my face, without embarrassing me when I dont want to be. Plus I've figured out when/how to make it burble and fart if needed. Again, perfectly understated.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
Moflow2484.50
      07-08-2020, 04:22 PM   #19
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
I know people complain the M2C should be louder etc etc, but frankly the stock exhaust is perfectly ok unless you want attention all the time. It burbles and farts just enough to put a smile on my face, without embarrassing me when I dont want to be. Plus I've figured out when/how to make it burble and fart if needed. Again, perfectly understated.
I guess at the end of the day of course it's all just personal preference. But I'd like a stronger and louder sound when flooring it but would be happy to do away with the burbles. I do like the bangs and pops that you sometimes get at high RPMs when accelerating quickly through some gears.

Agreed with M2Cmtl that they're okay at higher rpm but letting off at 3-4k rpm just feels a bit off to me. But yeah at least Sport (not sports+) is less crazy. But what I do is just leave it in Comfort/Efficient when I'm in a parking lot or traffic etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #20
Dillon152
Rep

budget for speeding tickets
Appreciate 2
Brandt51902.50
Sarg33554.50
      07-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #21
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, M550i, X545e

Quote:
Quote:
What kind of issues were these on 1-2 year old cars?
One they would not CPO as they said the previous owner missed the requirement for the break in service.
One had aftermarket shocks ( that resulted in the dealer having to replace the lower arms), and exhaust that were improperly installed ( detectable rattle and vibration).
One had a transmission replaced under warranty.

I found a good one that had 900 miles but had orange stitching and they wanted $58k Whit thought was overpriced for a used one.
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #22
Marlbombs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
Ive come to the conclusion that no matter what car group you're in, and it doesnt matter how much power the car makes, someone will always say that it isnt that fast.

That being said i agree with everyone here about it being the perfect DD. With the exception of the really small gas tank, i also DD this car and i love it.

For me 410 hp is more than enough. I dont use all of it unless theres a clear open stretch of road and even then i dont really give her the beans the entire time.

Strangely, my biggest regret is not getting the DCT. Every car i've ever owned has been a MT except one, and for some reason i really wish i had gotten the DCT in this car. Its possible that i've just been massively spoiled by the MT cars i've owned (BRZ, S2000, Miata, Eclipse GST) and the BMW MT just doesnt really hold up. ALso because of how much power the M2C has, sometimes i feel i'm not getting to use as much of it because i cant just put my foot down and enjoy the speed. Dont get my wrong, i still love the car and i love driving MT, so this isnt a huge issue for me. But the small amount of time i spent in my 230i with the ZF transmission, i realized how nice it was to just sit back and let the car do the work. Again not a massive regret, just happens to be the main regret.

That being said i think i've realized that 400hp seems to be my threshold for a MT. Anything above that mark and i'm going ZF or DCT. Anything below, i'll stick with MT.
This is an interesting take to me. I have always been a manual guy, except for my Evo X which had a DCT. I loved it until one of the clutch packs died at only 22k miles. I have only had the chance to test drive an M2C with the DCT and I actually liked it a lot. I also think it would be nice if im stuck in traffic on my way to work to be able to throw it in auto. However, my concern is more long term as I cant find much about the longevity/durability of the unit (PTSD from the Evo), but I imagine repair costs are IMMENSE compared to the 6MT. Any concerns for reliability on the DCT?
Appreciate 0