BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Stupid question

07-10-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Stupid question

Hey! I don’t know enough about engines, would someone explain why the s55 can’t handle a supercharger (twin charges setup)? Does it have to do with the length of the pistons or something else entirely?

Seeing as no one has even given it a thought, I accept it as a given, would just like to understand the mechanics behind it
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
Poffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

I haven't seen that it CAN'T handle one, but taking off TT's to supercharge seems like a costly endeavor. Given there is not discernible turbo lag, I would think you're better off improving the original forced induction system.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cWW View Post
Hey! I don’t know enough about engines, would someone explain why the s55 can’t handle a supercharger (twin charges setup)? Does it have to do with the length of the pistons or something else entirely?

Seeing as no one has even given it a thought, I accept it as a given, would just like to understand the mechanics behind it
There's nothing stopping people from adding a supercharger except the poor value proposition. You already have turbos. If you want more power it's far easier and cheaper to add bigger ones.
      07-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #4
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep

Totally, in terms of power I’m inclined to agree. That being said, if one were to use the turbos to maximize top end torque and a supercharger to maximize low end torque, it would be a more linear power curve with the added benefit of your turbo pushing out its maximum potential power right?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #5
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

So you want to twincharge the engine with both supercharger and turbocharger. Let me know how that goes for ya in the cost factor. If it runs any less than 100k Id be impressed.
Its just pointless. If you want more down low torque, these cars have it. Find the dyno readings on. 2015 m3 before they put the buffer area to stop people from crashing. Tune the car, youll have all the torque the car can handle.
Itd honestly be cheaper to fit an S63 motor in this car than to twincharge it.
Appreciate 1
chris7197341.00
      07-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #6
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOhnoez View Post
So you want to twincharge the engine with both supercharger and turbocharger. Let me know how that goes for ya in the cost factor. If it runs any less than 100k Id be impressed.
Its just pointless. If you want more down low torque, these cars have it. Find the dyno readings on. 2015 m3 before they put the buffer area to stop people from crashing. Tune the car, youll have all the torque the car can handle.
Sounds like an engine management nightmare, too. Unless a real pro did it it would probably be a disaster.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 08:01 PM   #7
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

If the F80/2 forum is any indication of the stupid amounts of money those owners spend in their cars for power bragging rights, someone would have done it by now if it made sense.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
chris7197341.00
m20e30871161.00
      07-10-2020, 10:38 PM   #8
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
If the F80/2 forum is any indication of the stupid amounts of money those owners spend in their cars for power bragging rights, someone would have done it by now if it made sense.
I remember seeing the 1008 hp build M4, I wish I could find it again because that dude knew which parts were built to last.
Now that took some real schmoneys.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134947.00
      07-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOhnoez View Post
Once again, I have absolutely no interest in doing it, one would just assume that people burn money on these cars and as such would attempt it to maximize power. Makes sense in regards to the engine already being built with low end torque in mind, and again it’s for educational purposes, so mind letting me know why it would cost so much and Be an engine Managment nightmare?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 12:03 PM   #10
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Sounds like a terrible idea. You can tune the car for more than sufficient HP with the turbo system so you don't need to add a supercharger system which would be a very expensive add on. I don't think anyone even makes a supercharger for the S55 lol. If it was a cost effective method tuners would be on it. I mean it's a nice hypothetical but no real world reality. SO i guess the answer is you can but it's not a good way to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #11
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Once again, I have absolutely no interest in doing it, one would just assume that people burn money on these cars and as such would attempt it to maximize power. Makes sense in regards to the engine already being built with low end torque in mind, and again it’s for educational purposes, so mind letting me know why it would cost so much and Be an engine Managment nightmare?
First you need to find a way to run the supercharger off the engine. The S55 is not designed for this and there is 0 room in the bay for one.

So now you can take out all the intake and exhaust and turbo stuff to make room in the bay.

Then I would add a supercharger roughly where the chargecooler is. That blows over the engine into a custom turbo setup. As this setup requires "fliping" their flow from over the engine(OEM) to under/around it.

That blows into a custom chargecooler/intake manifold like the B58/S58 has.

The stock ECU cannot handle the supercharger control as it was never meant for it. So you need a new ECU and one that talks to the car and new wirring.

Its hard enough to tune a car well. Doing it in a whole new and complex way is going to be expensive and ime consumming.

You could cut the whole front end off and redesign it to package everything however you want. But money and time and for what?

Last edited by Megator; 07-13-2020 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
m2cWW67.00
      07-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #12
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
First you need to find a way to run the supercharger off the engine. The S55 is not designed for this and there is 0 room in the bay for one.

So now you can take out all the intake and exhaust and turbo stuff to make room in the bay.

Then I would add a supercharger roughly where the chargecooler is. That blows over the engine into a custom turbo setup. As this setup requires "fliping" their flow from over the engine(OEM) to under/around it.

That blows into a custom chargecooler/intake manifold like the B58/S58 has.

The stock ECU cannot handle the supercharger control as it was never meant for it. So you need a new ECU and one that talks to the car and new wirring.

Its hard enough to tune a car well. Doing it in a whole new and complex way is going to be expensive and ime consumming.

You could cut the whole front end off and redesign it to package everything however you want. But money and time and for what?
My friend, this is exactly the tech focused explanation I was looking for to my entirely curiosity oriented question and I can’t thank you enough! Much appreciated
Appreciate 1
msdss497.50
      07-15-2020, 01:38 AM   #13
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My friend, this is exactly the tech focused explanation I was looking for to my entirely curiosity oriented question and I can’t thank you enough! Much appreciated
If you like it so much hit the appreciate button .
      07-15-2020, 09:13 AM   #14
m2cWW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
If you like it so much hit the appreciate button .

You are about to teach me something else I didn’t know, where in the world is the appreciate button?
Appreciate 1
msdss497.50
      07-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #15
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You are about to teach me something else I didn’t know, where in the world is the appreciate button?
Lol, it is pretty hiden.
Attached Images

07-15-2020, 03:30 PM   #16
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

So Volvo has a twincharged motor in the sense that it’s both supercharged and turbocharged. However, it’s not regarded as a particularly good motor noted for being surgy at times. For the S55 I don’t see any benefit. Even if you found room for the supercharger there are a few reasons why turbos are generally considered to be superior, and they all center around efficiency. Superchargers take quite a bit of power to even spin up. For example, the hellcat’s supercharger takes 80 hp just to run. Word is the GT500 takes 100 hp to spin as well. Turbos use expended energy from combustion to essentially recycle that spent power, making them far more efficient. There is also the complexity of tuning it to work. I suspect unless you have the resources of a major OEM, I doubt it’ll ever truly run “stock” smooth. Superchargers at one point were favored over turbos really for two reasons.

1. If you wanted immediate low end power (less of an issue today with today’s better turbo designs)
2. Cost - supercharging is cheaper than turbocharging

Eventually most of the industry moved to turbocharging because of efficiency and improvement in turbo designs. Like the twin scroll turbo found in the N55/B58 and Porsche’s variable scroll wheels.

If the S55 used one giant laggy turbocharger it might make sense, but the mono scroll turbos on the S55 spool up incredibly fast and you can get some really good power out of them. It’s a fun thought exercise, but for cars like ours I don’t think supercharging is the answer. A mild hybrid probably makes more sense as it provides immediate low end torque while the turbos spool up. This is where much of the industry is going, including BMW.
Appreciate 0