F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Defective Windshield Camera?
GetBMWParts

07-11-2020, 10:02 PM   #1
Czarcasm
Rucci
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2018 Nissan Altima SL

Defective Windshield Camera?

Hi all! My car is acting up and it's rather annoying. Firstly I got my car back from the dealership 2 days ago (replacement of blown LEDs) and now my auto high beams are not working properly, nor is my lane keep or Forward Collision system and my adaptive headlights are acting weirdly.

First off, the auto high beams have one of two "modes" firstly if I start the car and press the Auto High Beam Button on the stalk the high beams immediately kick on and refuse to turn off even when they detect light (my neighborhood is BRIGHTLY illuminated so there is zero need for high beams) however, if I start the car without the auto high beams activated and I drive for a couple miles then press the button they work properly for a total of 5 minutes and then immediately kick back into high beam only mode. As for the lane keep and forward collision upon start up I have a Frontal Collision Warning System Inactive for 3 seconds and then it immediately goes away but the systems still don't work.

As far as my headlights go I have the Executive Pkg and I have the full adaptive LED headlights problem is they are not moving, like at all and I have no warning message for the headlights. They won't don't the start up sequence upon start up or anything and I KNOW the headlights were working as they should last week and now they are pointing towards the ground..I think the FCW, AHB, LKAS acting up has something to do with the headlights but maybe I'm wrong. I just want to have some sort of an idea what the issue is before I call the dealer trying to explain to them an issue that they probably won't be able to replicate. I'm not mad just a tad bit annoyed haha. I'm leaning more towards a defective windshield camera and I think that has something to do with the headlights but I'm not really sure.

Any ideas? Thanks.
      07-11-2020, 10:49 PM   #2
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Take it back to the dealer rather than dig into it yourself, looks like they should be able to see the issues..
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The certainly should be able to see the issues, they caused them!
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2020, 01:30 PM   #4
Czarcasm
Rucci
Albania
Rep

Seems as if today the issues are because worsening none of the safety tech is working properly. I'll set up and appointment with the dealer tomorrow to see what the actual issue is. This is kind of affecting my thoughts on keeping this car, it's literally a couple days old less than 1k miles and it's already having these random electrical issues.
      07-12-2020, 01:43 PM   #5
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Seems as if today the issues are because worsening none of the safety tech is working properly. I'll set up and appointment with the dealer tomorrow to see what the actual issue is. This is kind of affecting my thoughts on keeping this car, it's literally a couple days old less than 1k miles and it's already having these random electrical issues.
I wouldn't call then random issues if you're having problems after the car had been worked on. Looks more like poor maintenance or bad parts or both. How did the car even pass the dealer's function check after maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #6
Czarcasm
Rucci
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
Quote:
I wouldn't call then random issues if you're having problems after the car had been worked on. Looks more like poor maintenance or bad parts or both. How did the car even pass the dealer's function check after maintenance.
Poor maintenance can't be the problem seeing as no actual maintenance was needed before these issues lol. The dealer wasn't asked to do anything other than to replace improperly functioning LEDs. The day I picked up the car everything was working as it should then the next day it all just started acting wonky. I'm not even sure if they completed the maintenance inspection after the repairs.
      07-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #7
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Poor maintenance can't be the problem seeing as no actual maintenance was needed before these issues lol. The dealer wasn't asked to do anything other than to replace improperly functioning LEDs. The day I picked up the car everything was working as it should then the next day it all just started acting wonky. I'm not even sure if they completed the maintenance inspection after the repairs.
Which LEDs?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
Czarcasm
Rucci
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
Quote:
Which LEDs?
The front left fog lamp (which they also replaced some wiring harnesses as well) and one of my license plate lamps (which wasn't even working the night I took delivery).
      07-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #9
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The front left fog lamp (which they also replaced some wiring harnesses as well) and one of my license plate lamps (which wasn't even working the night I took delivery).
Well I don't believe in coincidences... They did something...
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2020, 08:36 PM   #10
Czarcasm
Rucci
Albania
Rep

Just an update to this thread because I don't just want to leave this as if it was unresolved, and
who knows maybe it could help someone else who's having the same issue.

They ruled a defective windshield camera because apparently some harness was fidgeted with (the dealer most definitely did this). So they are replaced that. Also one of the techs left a hairline crack in the windshield while he was removing the windshield camera so the replacement will be here next week as well as the replacement part for the adaptive LEDs.

Also, I'm switching dealers lol. They've damaged my car twice already.