2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Pre LCI AC/Radio Trim Panel retrofit???

07-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
daddylonglegs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10

F10 Pre LCI AC/Radio Trim Panel retrofit???

if anyone knows if I can upgrade my f10 radio and air conditioning unit to the one with LCI on F30's or the G30 please let me know!!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddylonglegs View Post
if anyone knows if I can upgrade my f10 radio and air conditioning unit to the one with LCI on F30's or the G30 please let me know!!
Highly doubt it without serious modifications; i.e. $$$$$$$
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 09:47 PM   #3
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

I know, and the answer is no, or not at least not w/o a small fortune and a lot of work on your part.....it is cheaper to sell your car and pay for an F10 with the options you want....

So, I assume you have the head unit, basic and you want to upgrade to the head unit, high. Also, I assume you want to upgrade from 2 or 2.5 zone to 4-zone climate control (there really isn't an "air conditioning" upgrade, unless you are referring to type of freon).

Let's lay out your issues one at a time. Your F10 most certainly can mechanically accept both basic and high head units, but it's all in the harness. The basis runs wires directly to the speakers from the head unit, and the high unit is wired to the audio amplifier in the rear left side of your trunk (tucked under the trim), via coax, then twisted speaker wires run from the audio amplifier to the speakers. This huge bundle of wires to support the amplifier and speakers for the head unit, high, runs from the head unit under the center console, cuts down under the driver's seat, under the carpet, then to the rear of the truck on the left side of the car. This harness only supports H-K, and requires a complete change if you want the B&O..it uses different AMP connectors. This means you'll need to strip the whole car interior out, except the dashboard, and install that harness (I have one for sale if you are interested)....but this harness also goes to the instrument cluster, GPS antenna, HUD, and other items that you must ensure you have if you swap this harness...it's a PITA.

This also applies to 2 to 4 zone climate control upgrade, except to get true 4 zone, you must put in the flaps controls by replacing the distribution box that is housed around your heater cabin radiator and A/C evaporator, which requires you to remove your dashboard. You need a new center, left and right front vent, a new center armrest that allows air to be sent to the floor vents in the rear, a new rear control panel, new carpet so it lays over the new floor vents and pillar vent plumbing, new rear floor vents that have a temp sensor and electrical heater elements, and B pillar vents, and tubes to connect. If you get this far, you need a new body harness (this is not the same harness for the radio stated above) to add the many wires that run from the rear fuse box, down the right side of the car, then picks up additional power wires from the JBE, and then runs up the center console to the rear controller, center vent, left and right floor vent and then back to the driver's side ambient lighting module. And if you get to this point, you now need to get all the VO codes correct to make sure all 4-zone functions work.

I did the 4-zone update and it took 4 months and a lot of $$$$. Was it worth it? Yes for me, but it's because it's a hobby for me...not a task for the typical DIY'er.

I also updated my F10 for rear seat heating too....and updated my front seats for ventilation, massage, and Gentleman's function..and added the rear sunshade...

If you plan to do both or either, be glad to give you some pointers.

Cheers.

NOTE: It would be less hassle if you use aftermarket stereo components to upgrade your audio, and live with your 2-zone climate control.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
daddylonglegs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
I know, and the answer is no, or not at least not w/o a small fortune and a lot of work on your part.....it is cheaper to sell your car and pay for an F10 with the options you want....

So, I assume you have the head unit, basic and you want to upgrade to the head unit, high. Also, I assume you want to upgrade from 2 or 2.5 zone to 4-zone climate control (there really isn't an "air conditioning" upgrade, unless you are referring to type of freon).

Let's lay out your issues one at a time. Your F10 most certainly can mechanically accept both basic and high head units, but it's all in the harness. The basis runs wires directly to the speakers from the head unit, and the high unit is wired to the audio amplifier in the rear left side of your trunk (tucked under the trim), via coax, then twisted speaker wires run from the audio amplifier to the speakers. This huge bundle of wires to support the amplifier and speakers for the head unit, high, runs from the head unit under the center console, cuts down under the driver's seat, under the carpet, then to the rear of the truck on the left side of the car. This harness only supports H-K, and requires a complete change if you want the B&O..it uses different AMP connectors. This means you'll need to strip the whole car interior out, except the dashboard, and install that harness (I have one for sale if you are interested)....but this harness also goes to the instrument cluster, GPS antenna, HUD, and other items that you must ensure you have if you swap this harness...it's a PITA.

This also applies to 2 to 4 zone climate control upgrade, except to get true 4 zone, you must put in the flaps controls by replacing the distribution box that is housed around your heater cabin radiator and A/C evaporator, which requires you to remove your dashboard. You need a new center, left and right front vent, a new center armrest that allows air to be sent to the floor vents in the rear, a new rear control panel, new carpet so it lays over the new floor vents and pillar vent plumbing, new rear floor vents that have a temp sensor and electrical heater elements, and B pillar vents, and tubes to connect. If you get this far, you need a new body harness (this is not the same harness for the radio stated above) to add the many wires that run from the rear fuse box, down the right side of the car, then picks up additional power wires from the JBE, and then runs up the center console to the rear controller, center vent, left and right floor vent and then back to the driver's side ambient lighting module. And if you get to this point, you now need to get all the VO codes correct to make sure all 4-zone functions work.

I did the 4-zone update and it took 4 months and a lot of $$$$. Was it worth it? Yes for me, but it's because it's a hobby for me...not a task for the typical DIY'er.

I also updated my F10 for rear seat heating too....and updated my front seats for ventilation, massage, and Gentleman's function..and added the rear sunshade...

If you plan to do both or either, be glad to give you some pointers.

Cheers.

NOTE: It would be less hassle if you use aftermarket stereo components to upgrade your audio, and live with your 2-zone climate control.
ohhhh, I see. Ill forget about it then. Thats awesome you love to work on your car like that, I do too. Im painting my interior red and could use some help with seat disassembly, I am sure you know exactly where the bolts and clips are? Could you PM me for some additional guidance? I need to get the butt cushion separated from the back cushion and the side and back panels removed from the front seats. Couldnt find anything online
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

When I changed my interior color, I bought new seats from an ///M F10, which didn't fit in and LCI....but that's another story. But got it to work with some 1/2" C-channel.

Removing the leather is as follows:
- Remove plastic trim on the bottom cushion (side opposite the buckle, requires removal of a rivet, just drill it out)
- Disconnect the back cushion motor adjustment arm from bottom cushion
- Remove the two torx bolts between the back cushion and bottom cushion
- Disconnect the heating wires (may require clipping some zipties/clips) for seat back

This is all it takes (1st time, maybe 1 hr, 2nd seat 15 minutes)...but this requires removing the seat from the car.....don't turn your car on with seats out or your SRS light will come on.

Now for the hard part...the hog ring removal process.

- For removal, I tend to use use two pliers and instead of spreading the ring, I separate the ends perpendicular to the ring itself so it looks like a spring, then rotate to remove...less calories to do it this way....
- Installation with the hog ring pliers is easy, so assembly will be easier

The leather will peel right off...then installation is opposite...not hard, just a pain because of the hog rings.

Rear seats bottom cushion leather changeout is easy, just need to pull out the plastic end sewn on the leather, and remove....replacement is reverse.

Door panel leather panel color change out can be done....and have a post on it and will send the link if you need later on...

BTW, i changed out the dashboard to full leather...that was worth every cent in my opinion, as well as changed out the door cards to full merino leather...and this too was worth every penny..the F10 looks so good now...

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
daddylonglegs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
When I changed my interior color, I bought new seats from an ///M F10, which didn't fit in and LCI....but that's another story. But got it to work with some 1/2" C-channel.

- Remove plastic trim on the bottom cushion (side opposite the buckle, requires removal of a rivet, just drill it out)
- Disconnect the heating wires (may require clipping some zipties/clips) for seat back

This is all it takes (1st time, maybe 1 hr, 2nd seat 15 minutes)...but this requires removing the seat from the car.....don't turn your car on with seats out or your SRS light will come on.

- For removal, I tend to use use two pliers and instead of spreading the ring, I separate the ends perpendicular to the ring itself so it looks like a spring, then rotate to remove...less calories to do it this way....

The leather will peel right off...then installation is opposite...not hard, just a pain because of the hog rings.

Rear seats bottom cushion leather changeout is easy, just need to pull out the plastic end sewn on the leather, and remove....replacement is reverse.

Door panel leather panel color change out can be done....and have a post on it and will send the link if you need later on...

BTW, i changed out the dashboard to full leather...that was worth every cent in my opinion, as well as changed out the door cards to full merino leather...and this too was worth every penny..the F10 looks so good now...

Cheers
Ahh, Kind of hard to visualize without pictures, but ill be giving it a shot in a week or so after my exams. And in regards to the AC, I just wanted to change the control panel to update the buttons and LCD screen, nothing more than that. Im simply repainting the leather so wont need to do any leather removal from the seat. Just need to take the seats out and take of the trim and remove the back cushion from butt cushion. Luckily this will save me from removing the hog ring.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

I can provide pictures....I'll take a few....it may take me a few days...as I will need to disassemble the seats (they are in my living room right now - nice conversation piece between the wife and I)

Also, if your buttons are worn (showing white), then you can get just the button covers as a replacement from BMW or from eBay sellers...just make sure you get the right set..there are several versions of the radio/climate control panels...just use a plastic trim removal tool, and the button covers pop off...need to be careful not to break the tabs off the covers...could provide pics if you need.

Easier if you remove the control panel, but you don't have to...

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
daddylonglegs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I can provide pictures....I'll take a few....it may take me a few days...as I will need to disassemble the seats (they are in my living room right now - nice conversation piece between the wife and I)

Also, if your buttons are worn (showing white), then you can get just the button covers as a replacement from BMW or from eBay sellers...just make sure you get the right set..there are several versions of the radio/climate control panels...just use a plastic trim removal tool, and the button covers pop off...need to be careful not to break the tabs off the covers...could provide pics if you need.

Easier if you remove the control panel, but you don't have to...

Cheers
You are a real stand up guy. I appreciate the help. Im going to send you a private message.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #9
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:

Cheers
How hard was it to find all the Merino leather parts that were all the same color? Did you manage to buy it all as one set?

I have standard seats with dakota leather and my ass starts hurting after an hour and half because it's really dang stiff so I've been seriously considering a seating upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:56 PM   #10
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

I had to peruse eBay on a daily basis...

Obviously the parts have a narrow price range, but a huge conditional range, so be careful, price often does NOT reflect condition, so before dumping $2000 for ///M front and rear seats in Silverstone II, the condition had to be close to perfect. I found them, but after being a lurker for a while...

I also had to buy 9 door panels to get the "all leather" w/ Silverstone panel/door pull combination....and I did OK after bidding for what I wanted to pay....need to be super patient and know that there will be other like items shortly, so being not compelled to buy instantly for top dollar is the key...

What do you think? (see pics)

The steering wheel smoothness and plushness is now all over the car
- Merino Leather Dash
- Merino Leather Door Cards
- Merino Seats/Center Console

….Should have done this in 2015!
Attached Images

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 07-20-2020 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2020, 11:38 PM   #11
daddylonglegs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Obviously the parts have a narrow price range, but a huge conditional range, so be careful, price often does NOT reflect condition, so before dumping $2000 for ///M front and rear seats in Silverstone II, the condition had to be close to perfect. I found them, but after being a lurker for a while...

I also had to buy 9 door panels to get the "all leather" w/ Silverstone panel/door pull combination....and I did OK after bidding for what I wanted to pay....need to be super patient and know that there will be other like items shortly, so being not compelled to buy instantly for top dollar is the key...

- Merino Leather Dash

Did you see my private message sir?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #12
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:

- Merino Leather Dash

I'm usually not a fan of wooden trim, but I think that looks great.
Appreciate 0