E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Questions regarding non-idrive to CIC retrofit

07-14-2020, 09:13 PM   #1
Guesswhosback
Challenge Accepted
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i '07

Questions regarding non-idrive to CIC retrofit

Alright guys, managed to get all parts for a full retrofit, except combox.

Do have some questions about the retrofit itself, and before anyone asks,
YES i did my homework and I SEARCHED ALOT, but I just want to be sure that in my case, it will work without issues.
*That would be with the standard CCC controller with voice/menu button*

First thing first, i made an ''electric schem'' that should work on my car (2007/07), would like to have confirmation that the wires hook up should 100% look like that :

Second question, are the CAN high / low wires shielded? Also do they really need to be twisted all the way up, I mean, of course its because of magnetic field but would standard wires (20awg) without twists work flawless?

Third question, if everything went right, it should comes ON but probably with no sound since it wont be coded yet, fin. But does that video is 100 % accurate on the steps to do to code it right?

4th question, I know there's emulator for sale with flicker problems etc, but want to avoid those possibies problems... So basicly what are the other steps after that? I mean FS is just for map updating with the 1b file etc righ? and you enter the donor car vin's ? I'm a bit confused on that point...

THANKS A LOT for your time I'm pretty much excited doing this but kinda scared in another way, your help will be MUCH appreciated, really !
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

1: Yes that pinout looks ok, however, i would just use the quadlock for the pinouts, its makes the loom a lot more contained, retrofit wise its all in one place, i have made a few retrofit looms from the quadlock and never had a problem, get a quadlock extension lead and it makes it reversible).

2: can bus is not shielded and yes its best to twist, for a short distance it will be fine, but its costs nothing to twist them and its pretty easy to do so, why not?

3: That is the correct procedure for adding option for the cars vo/fa. not sure what option he coded though.

4: FSC coding is to allow the nav to function correctly. Emulators work by not allowing the cic to "see" the cars vin number, so it boots in standalone mode. they can have problems though.

Your best bet would be to VIN and FSC code the cic to your car, that way the cic know its in the correct car, You can diy this with the tools available on the internet, but if the cic needs firmware updated you need a icom for that (and dont let anyone tell you you can do it with a d-can lead, you cant).

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #3
Guesswhosback
Challenge Accepted
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
1: Yes that pinout looks ok, however, i would just use the quadlock for the pinouts, its makes the loom a lot more contained, retrofit wise its all in one place, i have made a few retrofit looms from the quadlock and never had a problem, get a quadlock extension lead and it makes it reversible).

2: can bus is not shielded and yes its best to twist, for a short distance it will be fine, but its costs nothing to twist them and its pretty easy to do so, why not?

3: That is the correct procedure for adding option for the cars vo/fa. not sure what option he coded though.

4: FSC coding is to allow the nav to function correctly. Emulators work by not allowing the cic to "see" the cars vin number, so it boots in standalone mode. they can have problems though.

Your best bet would be to VIN and FSC code the cic to your car, that way the cic know its in the correct car, You can diy this with the tools available on the internet, but if the cic needs firmware updated you need a icom for that (and dont let anyone tell you you can do it with a d-can lead, you cant).
Thanks a lot for your reply, really appreciated!! Yeah I heard that for FSC you might need an ethernet cable or something. How hard is that part? And which vin do you use while coding? The one from your car, or the one from the one that the radio comes from? Thanks again for your time!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 02:39 AM   #4
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

To Virgin the cic you need

1: ethernet lead (to ftp to the cic), and a d-kcan lead.
2: usb script to clear the certs in the cic (I have that)
3: FStools (to make the new fsc certs and install them).

The cic needs to be fully up to date (c1a).

You need a working set of bmwtools (like ncsexpert) to connect FStools and a jre (1.5 or above).

I admit its not easy, but its worth the steep learning curve to get it working.

If you are only ever going to do this once, might not be worth the agro, send the cic away and get it done for you.

Here in the UK its approx £50-£80 to get the cic firmware updated and vin/fsc coded.

As for the question.

Without an emulator or fcs coding the nav will not work (greyed out), so it wont matter what vin you use, if you use an emulator, then get the 1b files from the cic and use that to generate a fsc map code.

Dont be tempted to use a activate script you wont be able to update the maps if you do.

BTW all the tools needed are online for download, it just costs you time and effort (the ethernet lead is like £5-£7).

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #5
Guesswhosback
Challenge Accepted
Canada
Rep

Thanks a lot for the replys, much appreciated man!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
Guesswhosback
Challenge Accepted
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
To Virgin the cic you need

1: ethernet lead (to ftp to the cic), and a d-kcan lead.
2: usb script to clear the certs in the cic (I have that)
3: FStools (to make the new fsc certs and install them).

The cic needs to be fully up to date (c1a).

You need a working set of bmwtools (like ncsexpert) to connect FStools and a jre (1.5 or above).

I admit its not easy, but its worth the steep learning curve to get it working.

If you are only ever going to do this once, might not be worth the agro, send the cic away and get it done for you.

Here in the UK its approx £50-£80 to get the cic firmware updated and vin/fsc coded.

As for the question.

Without an emulator or fcs coding the nav will not work (greyed out), so it wont matter what vin you use, if you use an emulator, then get the 1b files from the cic and use that to generate a fsc map code.

Dont be tempted to use a activate script you wont be able to update the maps if you do.

BTW all the tools needed are online for download, it just costs you time and effort (the ethernet lead is like £5-£7).
Hey man, quick update, finished the retrofit, dash radio screen controller installed! started the NCS part, added #0909, $6VA and $609 to VO and deleted my old radio from there , coded the door gong xilophone tone, everything works! Except for the navigation got to FS code it. Since I dont have at the moment (ordered) the usb to cic plug yet, wanted to know if there's a way to ''activate my vin'' and FS code it WITHOUT updating the map for the moment. I mean at first when I pluged it , the map worked flawless but after restart the car it realised it wasnt same vin and NAVIGATION went gray in menu I guess. So basicly if I change vin in CIC , change FS codes, it should work without the need to update map at the moment right?
didn't use emulator btw

Thank you !
Appreciate 0