07-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #1
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40iX

Help removing center console

Hi all,

I am attempting to install the OEM Glass/Crystal Clarity iDrive controller and Start/Stop button.

I am using the documentation from newtis.info (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...les/1VncsaDBUz) to remove the upper center console in my 2019 X5 40iX. I can't seem to figure out how to disconnect the wires to get the gear shifter console part off.

Has anyone done this, and have any tips or tool recommendations?

Thanks!!!

2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW X5 40iX
2019 BMW 440iX M Performance Cabriolet
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #2
maxim38rus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X5, i3, 6GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawzy44 View Post
Hi all,

I am attempting to install the OEM Glass/Crystal Clarity iDrive controller and Start/Stop button.

I am using the documentation from newtis.info (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...les/1VncsaDBUz) to remove the upper center console in my 2019 X5 40iX. I can't seem to figure out how to disconnect the wires to get the gear shifter console part off.

Thanks!!!
Did you try asking here: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1694729?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #3
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim38rus View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!!!
No, one can see that I didn't. The items in that thread do not require removal of the idrive controller.

2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW X5 40iX
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
maxim38rus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X5, i3, 6GT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim38rus View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!!!
No, one can see that I didn't. The items in that thread do not require removal of the idrive controller.
I see, sorry for bringing into confusion. As long as I'm not very familiar with the installation process, that tread looked to me similar to what you were asking for.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #5
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Hi Shawzy - what are you trying to remove exactly? The entire center control, wood surround, light pipes and side leather pieces are one unit. You remove the side carpet panels, remove four torx screws. Then gently pry it up. There will be four connections, 2x for the light bars, 1 for the iDrive controller, and 1 for the main control unit.

If you are merely swapping the gear shifter, ie just the knob, none of that needs to be done. It's super quick.

Edit: if you're just stuck at disconnecting the main harness, there's a plastic piece that swings and locks it into place. You just push down in the general area of that "lock bar" and slide it down, which will disconnect the harness. Similar connections are used throughout the car - have a look at the Bavsound g05 YouTube video and jump to the doors, you'll see how it works.

Once it's out, you'll remove a few screws on the bottom of the iDrive module, then you'll do some prying from the bottom to clear it of the tabs that it snaps into and push it out.
      07-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Hi Shawzy - what are you trying to remove exactly? The entire center control, wood surround, light pipes and side leather pieces are one unit. You remove the side carpet panels, remove four torx screws. Then gently pry it up. There will be four connections, 2x for the light bars, 1 for the iDrive controller, and 1 for the main control unit.

If you are merely swapping the gear shifter, ie just the knob, none of that needs to be done. It's super quick.

Edit: if you're just stuck at disconnecting the main harness, there's a plastic piece that swings and locks it into place. You just push down in the general area of that "lock bar" and slide it down, which will disconnect the harness. Similar connections are used throughout the car - have a look at the Bavsound g05 YouTube video and jump to the doors, you'll see how it works.

Once it's out, you'll remove a few screws on the bottom of the iDrive module, then you'll do some prying from the bottom to clear it of the tabs that it snaps into and push it out.
Thanks.

Yeah I am stuck with 3 of the wire harness connectors. I'll take a look at the link and try the method you suggested.

On a side note I had my car at BMW Toronto to get the new I step firmware -which I now have.

They wouldn't do the VO coding or the install as they said "BMW will not authorize the installation of the parts you supplied without voiding your warranty. Once the car gets plugged in at any dealer, BMW Canada will be notified by the data of the install then the warranty will be cancelled."

Crazy.

Anyone know someone who can Vehicle Option (VO) code S4A2 remotely for me?!?!

2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW X5 40iX
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #7
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

Yeah I am stuck with 3 of the wire harness connectors. I'll take a look at the link and try the method you suggested.

On a side note I had my car at BMW Toronto to get the new I step firmware -which I now have.

They wouldn't do the VO coding or the install as they said "BMW will not authorize the installation of the parts you supplied without voiding your warranty. Once the car gets plugged in at any dealer, BMW Canada will be notified by the data of the install then the warranty will be cancelled."

Crazy.

That's quite a statement. Usually modifications would only void the warranty on impacted system, and they have to prove the modification caused the problem. If they say changing your iDrive controller voids the entire car that sounds like complete bullshit. Now it's possible if they upgrade the car your coding would be lost, because it's not enabled for your VIN, but you would just code it back on.

RE: Coding, search on the iDrive/Electronics/Coding forum, at least one person has done it.

Last edited by timmahh; 07-16-2020 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
Shawzy44158.00
      07-17-2020, 07:52 PM   #8
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks.

Crazy.

That's quite a statement. Usually modifications would only void the warranty on impacted system, and they have to prove the modification caused the problem. If they say changing your iDrive controller voids the entire car that sounds like complete bullshit. Now it's possible if they upgrade the car your coding would be lost, because it's not enabled for your VIN, but you would just code it back on.

RE: Coding, search on the iDrive/Electronics/Coding forum, at least one person has done it.
Thank you!!!! I got the console off and the I-drive installed. Interesting though the start stop button didn't fit. I believe my CC set I bought came from an X6. I may fiddle with things and see if the start stop mechanism can be swapped or not.
Attached Images

2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW X5 40iX
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #9
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Nice! What did you get for the s/s exactly? On mine (aftermarket) you just yank the old one out and pop the new one in. It sits a little higher, but I like it because it's easier to find the button.
      07-17-2020, 08:03 PM   #10
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Nice! What did you get for the s/s exactly? On mine (aftermarket) you just yank the old one out and pop the new one in. It sits a little higher, but I like it because it's easier to find the button.
I found a complete gear shifter console on eBay from a 2019 X6 for 600 Euros.
I may order the aftermarket button from car analysis.

Still need to find someone to program the VO code to have the X light up.

2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW X5 40iX
Appreciate 0