F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport Wagon and GT Owners your assistance needed
Extreme Powerhouse

07-16-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
matmanx1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Sport Wagon and GT Owners your assistance needed

Hi all. I'm beginning the process of shopping /researching a replacement for our aging family SUV and would like some information from a Sport Wagon and a GT owner if I could.

The question is basically this. How wide is the cargo space in the rear? My wife and I volunteer for a non-profit during the latter part of the year and are often transporting bundles of folded boxes that are about 41 inches long and 37.1 inches wide. I would really appreciate if one of you could tell me if they will fit comfortably in the Sport Wagon and in the GT before I really get serious about shopping.

I know their are larger wagons out there (like the E400/E450, A6 Allroad and Jaguar XF-S Sportbrake) but if our cargo will comfortably fit in a BMW Sport Wagon or GT then that would be a more efficient and cost effective way to go for us. I appreciate the help if you could spare a few minutes and have a measuring tape handy!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 03:33 PM   #2
Shred Sled
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328ixDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmanx1 View Post
Hi all. I'm beginning the process of shopping /researching a replacement for our aging family SUV and would like some information from a Sport Wagon and a GT owner if I could.

The question is basically this. How wide is the cargo space in the rear? My wife and I volunteer for a non-profit during the latter part of the year and are often transporting bundles of folded boxes that are about 41 inches long and 37.1 inches wide. I would really appreciate if one of you could tell me if they will fit comfortably in the Sport Wagon and in the GT before I really get serious about shopping.

I know their are larger wagons out there (like the E400/E450, A6 Allroad and Jaguar XF-S Sportbrake) but if our cargo will comfortably fit in a BMW Sport Wagon or GT then that would be a more efficient and cost effective way to go for us. I appreciate the help if you could spare a few minutes and have a measuring tape handy!
Quote:

37 1/4" at the narrowest point (up against the back seat between the wheel wells)

47" at widest inside point (although the opening is smaller)
37" deep, but the rear seats slant back and the rear hatch angles in so more like 34" of depth.
The opening is 27" tall.
Attached Images

07-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #3
JackMikk
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 and 5\ Camaro SS 19

It makes sense. I don’t know, it’s convenient for me to transport all kinds of junk.
Appreciate 1
matmanx1101.50
      07-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
matmanx1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred Sled View Post
37 1/4" at the narrowest point (up against the back seat between the wheel wells)

37" deep, but the rear seats slant back and the rear hatch angles in so more like 34" of depth.
The opening is 27" tall.
Thank you! That is extremely helpful. I think the GT measurements are a little larger so I am interested to see just how much difference there is. Sport Wagon is definitely better looking though!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 08:46 PM   #5
Shred Sled
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328ixDrive Touring

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred Sled View Post

The opening is 27" tall.
Thank you! That is extremely helpful. I think the GT measurements are a little larger so I am interested to see just how much difference there is. Sport Wagon is definitely better looking though!
Glad I could be of some help.
The Grand Turismo style never appealed to me. Prior to the F31, I drove an E61 and E46 Touring. Great utility and a car like feel. An over abundance of SUV/SAV in the US. Unfortunately, we lost wagons altogether...at least BMW.
      07-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #6
matmanx1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I selfishly hope that the A6 Allroad will do well enough over here that BMW reconsiders their stance on wagons here in the US. Having spent most of the day driving around my Dad's 2019 330i I know that the new platform is excellent and a Sport Wagon or GT based off of it would be even better.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 09:28 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
I think the GT measurements are a little larger so I am interested to see just how much difference there is.
The GT area is larger but the angle of the rear window brings the actual cargo space to about the same. The main advantage to the GT is five more inches of wheel base, which gives a smoother ride and three inches of additional rear seat legroom, so adults can sit in the back seat comfortably. That extra three inches also means three more inches of cargo with the seats folded down.
Appreciate 1
matmanx1101.50