BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2019 530e Front louvers not opening

07-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #1
rts2101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

2019 530e Front louvers not opening

So from time to time, when my car is plugged in and charging, the front louvers will open and the fan comes on....I suppose because the battery is hot.

Today, I was in the garage and noticed the fan came on, but the louvers did NOT open.

I can usually 'manually' open the louvers by opening the hood and manually starting the engine. That did not open them either.

No warning lights on the dash, just 'lucky' I noticed this I guess.

I guess I am in for another trip to the dealership???

Is there a fuse I can check?

Last edited by rts2101; 07-16-2020 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
There is a fault memory entry if the radiator blind drive fails, and in this case it will be stuck in the position it was at the time of the fault. I'm not sure if this fault is displayed in the vehicle status information, but if you have the ability to read fault codes you would see an entry if the motor for the flaps is defect or if the fuse tripped. F70 should be the correct fuse (front glovebox), if I read that correctly (check newtis here).

I did hear multiple reports of the mechanism being jammed, most of the time you can get it unstuck, but sometimes everything needs to be replaced (under warranty ofc).

Last edited by Flamingi; 07-17-2020 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
rts2101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Thank You or the Information. I took the car into the dealership today and the lower flaps, which I was not even aware of, needed to be replaced. They said that would affect the upper flaps as well.

I haven't checked the upper flaps yet, which always opened fully when he hod was opened and engine started manually, as well as when the fan turned on occasionally when charging the high voltage battery.

That's how I noticed the problem to begin with....I was in the garage when the fan came on and looked and saw the flaps closed.

It's little worrisome, as I am in Florida where it is very warm right now, and I wonder if an extended trip down the interstate with malfunctioning flaps would have caused the engine to overheat. That, and the fact that I did not get an indication inside the car.

EDIT: I was sitting in the garage while charging and the fan came on....all shutters opened like they used to, so I think I am in good shape. Apparently, malfunctioning lower shutters can affect the upper ones. Still not super comfortable that I did not get an indication in the car, even thought the technician said he found a code stored for the lower shutters.

Last edited by rts2101; 07-19-2020 at 07:25 AM..
Appreciate 0