F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > High pitched noise under acceleration(HELP!)
Studio RSR

07-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #1
Ily4s
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F30, BMW E46

High pitched noise under acceleration(HELP!)

Hi guys!
I looked everywhere but didnt found a clear answer. I have this high pitched whistling noise when I press the gas pedal(specially in sport mode). Never really paid attention to the sound, always thought it was my injen cold air intake sucking air in. Couple days ago, I randomly came across a video on youtube, a car that has same mods as mine, not having this whistling noise. It got me triggered.Did some research and found nothing about it. Car drives great, no lights in the dash, no issue and no power loss. Did someone experienced something similar? What do you guys think? What could it be? Timing chain was done this winter, I had the noise before and it is still present*

2013 F30 328i(N20) EWG

Thank you for your help!

Link of the video:
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
Slowestn20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i n20

You are my hero!!! I have the 100% same sound here’s link!
I’m FBO full e85 stage 1 turbo and my car randomly started doing this I thought it might be the timing chain also but you still have the sound after fix in trying to figure this out ‘
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #3
Ily4s
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowestn20 View Post
You are my hero!!! I have the 100% same sound here’s link!
I’m FBO full e85 stage 1 turbo and my car randomly started doing this I thought it might be the timing chain also but you still have the sound after fix in trying to figure this out ‘
Yess! We have the exact same sound! It drives me crazy tbh. Its 100% not timing chain related noise. I had it before and I still have it now, after the timing chain job was done by a BMW dealership. From my online research, this noise is maybe related to an alternator issue or a potential boost leak?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #4
Slowestn20
Private First Class
Rep

So I did a data log with this sound and I did hit target boost every time for the most part, I had this sound after I did my coolant I did get it every where possibly in the alternator maybe?? I wanna doggies this out lol
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 09:43 PM   #5
Ily4s
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowestn20 View Post
So I did a data log with this sound and I did hit target boost every time for the most part, I had this sound after I did my coolant I did get it every where possibly in the alternator maybe?? I wanna doggies this out lol
From my understanding, it could be related to a faulty alternator bearing/pulley but it's just a wide guess. I seriously try to figure out from where this noise come from but i am lost...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 12:29 PM   #6
Slowestn20
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ily4s View Post
From my understanding, it could be related to a faulty alternator bearing/pulley but it's just a wide guess. I seriously try to figure out from where this noise come from but i am lost...
Yeah I have no idea either lol
Appreciate 0