BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40 2022

Automatic Windows App

I've got this new app come up and don't quite know why and why would it be useful. Anyone else got it? [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
JTG1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

I think there is a post on this elsewhere. Apparently you can set a location, and then the window will automatically lower when you reach that location. Someone gave an example of when you approach your mailbox, the window will lower so you can get your mail. Seems a little silly to me personally, but maybe I just haven't envisioned a very solid use case for this function yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Exactly - there is no use case! Waste of time for BMW to invest in such an app! Time they could spend stabilising the iDrive!
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshD View Post
Exactly - there is no use case! Waste of time for BMW to invest in such an app! Time they could spend stabilising the iDrive!
Or people who have to use a fob to get into a parking garage for work or home. It's a nice feature for that. Or if you get coffee on the way to work every morning and pull through a drive through frequently... Another convenient case.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #5
Carneylad
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d, Tesla Model 3

I get a coffee each morning and when I get to work, I have to get my badge and paperwork checked and scanned so having the window go down automagically would be cool for me.

I'm on 03/2020 so it's not available to me yet. Looking forward to it. Hopefully it's quite accurate and works.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2020, 05:40 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I use mine to open the window while I'm approaching my mailbox. Obviously not needed but then again no one really needs a vehicle like an X5, we just want to treat ourselves.

The app is not tied to 07/2020.xx, if you update your Apps and Services it may get installed as it did for another member.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #7
JTG1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I use mine to open the window while I'm approaching my mailbox. Obviously not needed but then again no one really needs a vehicle like an X5, we just want to treat ourselves.

The app is not tied to 07/2020.xx, if you update your Apps and Services it may get installed as it did for another member.
Totally agree! I certainly don't "need" a lot of the options/tech, but I will enjoy them! So if folks find the auto window thing to be handy (or just kind of fun), then by all means enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 04:39 AM   #8
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG1 View Post
Totally agree! I certainly don't "need" a lot of the options/tech, but I will enjoy them! So if folks find the auto window thing to be handy (or just kind of fun), then by all means enjoy it.
... first world problems
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2020, 05:36 AM   #9
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

It's just such an odd feature to release at this stage.

We are heading to automating pretty much everything, but there are hundreds of more useful features to release before this. This is the kind of thing you'd expect them to save for when there's nothing left to release!

You know someone is going to get wet if not soaked with this feature at some point
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #10
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post

We are heading to automating pretty much everything, but there are hundreds of more useful features to release before this. This is the kind of thing you'd expect them to save for when there's nothing left to release!

You know someone is going to get wet if not soaked with this feature at some point
I'm wondering if they have a team of developers working on "apps" and they just release them as they come available. This is so simple, and almost all the functionality is there since you can already do it with the panoramic camera - some developer probably knocked it out in 15 minutes and BMW was like "OK" send it out but get back to the task at hand...

Improvements I'm looking for:
1) GPS triggered parking cameras - I want them to turn on automatically when I pull into my driveway
2) Use CD app to roll windows up / close sunroof - I know this is a safety concern but surely there's a way to implement it while still making sure someone's arm doesn't get taken off.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:35 AM   #11
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I'm wondering if they have a team of developers working on "apps" and they just release them as they come available. This is so simple, and almost all the functionality is there since you can already do it with the panoramic camera - some developer probably knocked it out in 15 minutes and BMW was like "OK" send it out but get back to the task at hand...

Improvements I'm looking for:
1) GPS triggered parking cameras - I want them to turn on automatically when I pull into my driveway
2) Use CD app to roll windows up / close sunroof - I know this is a safety concern but surely there's a way to implement it while still making sure someone's arm doesn't get taken off.
Maybe a personal request from the CEO to access the keypad to his estate gates

1) isnt there something similar to this already or does that just activate the front CTA? like you say its all there already so would be easy
2) not sure that'll happen. suspect they would need a heartbeat sensor like volvo came up with as a pre-req

I'd like them to regress a little, and provide a method to manually open the trunk and move the back seats when the battery is flat!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #12
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Maybe a personal request from the CEO to access the keypad to his estate gates

1) isnt there something similar to this already or does that just activate the front CTA? like you say its all there already so would be easy
2) not sure that'll happen. suspect they would need a heartbeat sensor like volvo came up with as a pre-req

I'd like them to regress a little, and provide a method to manually open the trunk and move the back seats when the battery is flat!
for 1) yes, but for the pano camera. I don't like parking with that camera b/c the images are too distorted and it's hard to gauge distance. I prefer the parking cameras vs the fish eye of the pano.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:59 PM   #13
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:

Literally. And there's no way they use the rain sensor data to disable it. Also for the OCD types that don't want to roll their windows down after a car wash!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:57 PM   #14
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
It would be an awesome prank for someone to secretly set the Auto Window location to be inside an automatic car wash. But I do assume that BMW was smart enough to prevent activation upon sensing water or rain. After all, there is apparently a feature that will close the sunroof if it senses rain (have to dig to find info on that, but I recall discussions about it).

Still ... how do we delete Connected Apps from the car again?
      07-21-2020, 03:16 AM   #15
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
It would an awesome prank for someone to secretly set the Auto Window location to be inside an automatic car wash. But I do assume that BMW was smart enough to prevent activation upon sensing water or rain. After all, there is apparently a feature that will close the sunroof if it senses rain (have to dig to find info on that, but I recall discussions about it).

Still ... how do we delete Connected Apps from the car again?
Correct it is the door and acces menu. It does however only work with a parked and locked car.
Appreciate 0