BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-19-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
DiamondLights
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

G05 Safety/Anti theft etc

Hi all

So, deposit down and I may actually be pulling the trigger on getting this X5.

One thing i have to hold my hand up is safety with regards to theft. IN the UK, the X5 is the most stolen car in the country, and seen the odd scare video recently.

Anyone have thoughts or any action taken to deter except the faraday pouches etc?

I was told to turn off keyless entry/go - any ideas how to do that in a G05 too?

Welcome your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
I saw a G05 with a steering wheel extra-lock yesterday. quick frankly I was quite amazed, feels like we're back in the90's!
Personally I don't have any 'extras' but I keep the keys in a metal box at night; but I'm not in 'at risk' areas.
      07-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
Carneylad
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d, Tesla Model 3

I don't have comfort access on mine so I'm. It worries at all. I also have it set to chirp when I lock it so I know of its been jammed or whatever.

The key also has a motion sensor built in so not really any need for extra security I don't think. The display key will also let you know if your alarm is set and also the interior/tilt alarms.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #4
BryanC84
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 45e M Sport

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
I work on the theory, if they want it, they'll take it, regardless of what measures you put in place. Hand it over and don't risk your own well being. Its a piece of metal on wheels.

I have a dealer fitted tracker to mine. I have no idea where it is on the vehicle. There is obviously the inbuilt tracking aswell.

As long as its insured and GAP insurance is sorted.. there isnt much else you can do.

You could back it up to something and ground anchor it in front. You could put a steering lock on.

But.. that wont stop a theft if you're just about to get in the car etc.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Also in the UK and I had the same concerns. Just picked my car up yesterday!

I didn't get comfort access - I don't mind pressing a button, and actually prefer it!
I have done the following:

1. Install a Stop Lock Pro overnight - https://amzn.to/30oR7FC
2. Faraday box (not pouch as these stop working as the foil in the flap wear down and cracks with time)
3. Had an Autowatch Ghost installed - without a button combination the car won't start.
4. I block the car into the drive with my wife's car in front. lol
5. Finally I installed Rimgard to stop the wheels from being stolen - https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1740736

That should deter the chancer, and even some of the common thieves. Although if someone really wants it then they will do whatever it takes, for which I would hand things over straight away and let the GAP insurance (return to invoice) come into play!

Someone has the same G05 round the corner to me in blue for the past year, and he hasn't any of the above yet has been fine.....
With security being very good on these vehicles, and tracking etc via the BMW app being available, I'm hoping most thieves will avoid!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #6
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
Also in the UK and I had the same concerns. Just picked my car up yesterday!

I didn't get comfort access - I don't mind pressing a button, and actually prefer it!
I have done the following:

1. Install a Stop Lock Pro overnight - https://amzn.to/30oR7FC
2. Faraday box (not pouch as these stop working as the foil in the flap wear down and cracks with time)
3. Had an Autowatch Ghost installed - without a button combination the car won't start.
4. I block the car into the drive with my wife's car in front. lol
5. Finally I installed Rimgard to stop the wheels from being stolen - https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1740736

That should deter the chancer, and even some of the common thieves. Although if someone really wants it then they will do whatever it takes, for which I would hand things over straight away and let the GAP insurance (return to invoice) come into play!

Someone has the same G05 round the corner to me in blue for the past year, and he hasn't any of the above yet has been fine.....
With security being very good on these vehicles, and tracking etc via the BMW app being available, I'm hoping most thieves will avoid!
If I had to go to all of that effort because I was scared car would get nicked, I wouldn't bother having a nice car.

I have no comfort access so not bothered about relay theft. Live in an ok area of London, on a dead end road. Have CCTV installed (both for car and house safety) and that's as far as I'd go.

I too am of the opinion that if they really want it they will get it. No point in worrying over a steel tin on wheels as long as it's insured and has GAP.

Ghost is a good idea, impressive bit of kit, been meaning to get one buy never got around to it. Probably worth the £400 ish.

Oh and according to the DVLA, only source I'd trust, in the UK, the X5 isn't even in the top 10 of most stolen cars
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

how on earth is anyone able to steal a vehicle like this? it's more computer than car at this point. Hell, it has as many trackers as my phone does. Are you saying these thieves are just that advanced now that they're easily and frequently stealing X5s in Europe? Pretty sure it's not that common for that to occur here in the US.

The most that's happened to me so far is i got an alert on my connectedDrive app saying someone tried to open the door (it was locked and fortunately they were just checking for unlocked cars for easy stuff to steal).
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 07:04 PM   #8
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
how on earth is anyone able to steal a vehicle like this? it's more computer than car at this point. Hell, it has as many trackers as my phone does. Are you saying these thieves are just that advanced now that they're easily and frequently stealing X5s in Europe? Pretty sure it's not that common for that to occur here in the US.

The most that's happened to me so far is i got an alert on my connectedDrive app saying someone tried to open the door (it was locked and fortunately they were just checking for unlocked cars for easy stuff to steal).
I've never heard of those kind of alerts, I want that!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 03:36 AM   #9
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Umm relay theft in keyless entry cars has been a thing since around 2008 (scanning for key signal, boosting using device, opening and starting using boosted signal). Where have you been that you have not heard of this? This is a worldwide problem
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:28 AM   #10
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
If I had to go to all of that effort because I was scared car would get nicked, I wouldn't bother having a nice car.

I have no comfort access so not bothered about relay theft. Live in an ok area of London, on a dead end road. Have CCTV installed (both for car and house safety) and that's as far as I'd go.

I too am of the opinion that if they really want it they will get it. No point in worrying over a steel tin on wheels as long as it's insured and has GAP.

Ghost is a good idea, impressive bit of kit, been meaning to get one buy never got around to it. Probably worth the £400 ish.

Oh and according to the DVLA, only source I'd trust, in the UK, the X5 isn't even in the top 10 of most stolen cars
I know what you mean - although I like to just make myself feel as though I've done what I can TBH. I only paid for the Ghost install, the rest was given to me so I installed it regardless! lol

I also have CCTV, but these days even that is not a deterrent. With hoods up, and now face masks commonplace, CCTV does nothing except bring you more pain when you watch it back I guess!

I also didn't get comfort access, but I still keep my keys in a Faraday box just in case. Again, maybe me being OTT....

Thanks for the reassurance RE top 10 stolen cars from the DVLA. I would assume high performance sports cars top it - and I always thought a Range Rover would be above a X5 as being more desirable? Have several Range Rovers down my road that have always been fine ;o)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:29 AM   #11
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How do I enable this feature??
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:39 AM   #12
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I had the same debate when getting my M50i as I was amazed that my insurance was £500 more than my 2018 M4.

However per the above I reached the conclusion that simply having good GAP is the way forward. I went with ALA as their level of cover is superior and cheaper than BMW's own. Return to invoice of purchase in the event of a loss (with additional cover included to get an identical car should a replacement not be available for the price you paid).

My house has CCTV, alarms, two dogs etc so if they get passed all that they can have the car. It's only a lump of metal and plastic at the end of the day.

A steering wheel lock whilst a visual deterrent isn't worth all that much if it's pros coming for your motor. Likewise a tracker is pointless in 2020 as most likely your car will be in a container on its way to Eastern Europe before you even notice or if its amateurs you'll be getting your car back with drilled locks, molested and trashed. Who wants that?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 07:06 AM   #13
gobiman
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z1 (1989), Merc GLC43

I have an AMG Mercedes which has been on the street in Chelsea for four years and so far unmolested. I disagree with the "do nothing" approach because the pros will take notice. I have -
1. Disklok - takes 20 secs on and off. It's not infallible but takes time, noise and effort to remove.
2. An OBD port lock (+discreet stickers on window). Stops laptop access (at least quickly) via broken window.
3. I don't have a tracker but my guess is that any pro (having seen the disklok and OBD lock sticker) will think I'm serious and decide that there are easier targets.
4. Keep the keys in a metal tin in the kitchen, which is at least 50m from the car.
I also park under a street light in a well-lit road.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #14
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How do I enable this feature??
I didn't do anything special I swear. I was at a friends house and unbeknownst to me his neighborhood was sketchy. Around 11pm I got an alert on my iPhone from the connected drive app that there may have been an intruder or some wording like that. So I of course ran out to the truck and didn't see anything or anyone thank god.

But I didn't enable anything to the car or the app. It just said that on its own. I suppose you could just park it somewhere and then try to fiddle with the door handle and see if you get an alert on your phone
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #15
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Umm relay theft in keyless entry cars has been a thing since around 2008 (scanning for key signal, boosting using device, opening and starting using boosted signal). Where have you been that you have not heard of this? This is a worldwide problem
While that's true what common thief would want to mess with a technologically sophisticated car that takes all that work to open and is being tracked when you can just break into a civic fifty feet away with ease and less risk and liability
Appreciate 1
Tenac4551.50
      07-20-2020, 10:50 AM   #16
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
While that's true what common thief would want to mess with a technologically sophisticated car that takes all that work to open and is being tracked when you can just break into a civic fifty feet away with ease and less risk and liability
Not to mention boosted signals are only from woke keys, BMW and other brands now have the signal drop off if no motion to activate. I ran into this while washing my X5... Had it sitting on a desk about 12' away car was unlocked. It self locked (didn't fold in mirrors) didn't see or hear it do it probably cause power washer. Went to open the door to clean inside and wouldn't open. Even though I could see the key right there still locked... I even had to pick the key up walk towards it for it to unlock again.

The other thing if you are worried about boosted signal, you should be just as worried about jaming. Nothing on the market cannot be jammed to prevent signal from being tracked.

My theory here only a theory, I have insurance, I don't keep anything I cannot lose in the vehicle. So if it gets stolen I FINALLY get to use the insurance I've been paying!!!! LOL
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #17
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I know what you mean - although I like to just make myself feel as though I've done what I can TBH. I only paid for the Ghost install, the rest was given to me so I installed it regardless! lol

I also have CCTV, but these days even that is not a deterrent. With hoods up, and now face masks commonplace, CCTV does nothing except bring you more pain when you watch it back I guess!

I also didn't get comfort access, but I still keep my keys in a Faraday box just in case. Again, maybe me being OTT....

Thanks for the reassurance RE top 10 stolen cars from the DVLA. I would assume high performance sports cars top it - and I always thought a Range Rover would be above a X5 as being more desirable? Have several Range Rovers down my road that have always been fine ;o)
Faraday is no use to you. It literally makes not difference in this scenario.

In my kind hot hatches are most commonly stolen, too many Golf R's go missing in London
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #18
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

yeah like you I'm not worried about it getting stolen. As much as I love it, its a lease, it's fully insured, and I don't have anything of value in it. The only thing that I worry about is a frustrated low intelligence thief who may try to steal it, realize he cant, then just go about keying the car or vandalizing it out of anger.

In any case, yet another reason to get a new car is that they're becoming like iphones in terms of stealability. short of the tires, is it really worth the effort to try and boost something this complex? I'm sure all the expensive parts have VIN#s on them anyway. I also feel like some of you who want these security gadgets just want it because you want new toys to play with not necessarily because you live in some crime infested country where people are stealing G05s left and right
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #19
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Because the approach to end goal of theft is different here (UK as opposed to USA where you are I presume)?

Cars are not stolen here for a joyride or to commit other crimes (not as often anyway). Most high end cars are stolen to order and shipped off by sea to other parts of the world or taken apart and shipped off to Easter European countries as parts.

Hence it's worthwhile for a theif to go info all that effort.

Years ago, my friend had his RR Sport stolen from a shopping centre. The thieves followed us in, when we parked the car, they had a replacement plate sorted, parking coin ready to exit car park, ferry ticket booked out of the country. Tracker picked up the car 48 hours later. Was already in Albania, some 1700 miles away.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101167.50
      07-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #20
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cars are not stolen here for a joyride or to commit other crimes (not as often anyway). Most high end cars are stolen to order and shipped off by sea to other parts of the world or taken apart and shipped off to Easter European countries as parts.

wow, I didn't know any of that, very interesting and sad. You guys should just move over here lol
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #21
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

wow, I didn't know any of that, very interesting and sad. You guys should just move over here lol
I think I'll take the risky car theft to be honest
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2021, 05:29 AM   #22
BrummyGit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e M Sport

I've had my UK X5 less than 2 weeks and I've already been targeted by car thieves.

There is a spate of BMW thefts in our area at the moment where the thieves seem to have new technology available. Last week in one street they targeted three 3-series in one evening - caught on camera they walked up to the first two cars and touched the rear door and the car unlocked. Nobody stood by the house with a relay device. We know one of the owners and those cars DO NOT have Comfort Access. For whatever reason they didn't even open the door on either of those cars, they unlocked and the interior light can be see on, but they took a third on the same street.

This weekend a 6 month old X5 was taken very close to me - they broke into his home for his keys, and ripped out the interior light cluster and apparently a tracker which were found in the street. What did they rip out - would this be standard BMW components or an aftermarket tracker?

Also do BMW include tracking (beyond the normal connected drive app) or theft alerting in the car as part of connected drive? The X5 has been the most stolen car in the UK for a number of years in the last 10 - surely they would make efforts to improve this. A colleague just got a Jaguar which includes theft alerts and tracking built into the car as standard.

Later the same night they came back and targeted my car - I have them on CCTV in the small hours looking around, but I think my closed gates surprised them and they didn't do any more than look around this time. The worrying thing is I believe I caught them on CCTV checking the car out the evening before and they must have already known where to look as it's not visible from the road unless you stop at my entrance and look for it - you would never see it just driving past.

I have a Stoplock Pro Elite steering lock, keys in faraday bag (even though they go to sleep), and CCTV. I can't fit any extra security as vehicle modifications are forbidden in the lease, and if I'm honest they can take the car as long as they stay out of my home. I'm not sure what more I can do but this will drive me mad for the 4 years of my lease. I just need to make it unappealing for them to try.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13550.50