F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > And there it was, gone...
ARMA SPEED

07-23-2020, 06:43 AM   #1
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

And there it was, gone...

So after exactly 11 months my M5 departed today...

What can i say? The car is immense, the speed is barely comprehensible, it feels so sure footed, the ride is firm but comfortable (especially with those seats), and it never went to the dealer except for the running in service...

So why has it gone, you may ask.... Well it was a chance to fulfill a dream, tick a few boxes on my bucketlist, treat myself. But the reality is it didnt get used enough, partly because of world events, partly because I didnt like leaving my baby in some places.... It transpires that most of its use was up and down the M1 to see family - and average speed cameras, variable speed limits, etc dont really need a 600ps V8.

Plus when i bought it annual pay rises and bonuses of 15 to 20% were the norm, and I think it is safe to say both of those are a thing of the past...

So time to say thanks for the memories, glad I did it, thoroughly recommend to anyone who will get use out of it...

Now what next? Well a 5 door Mini Cooper runaround for now and lets see what Q4 and the new year bring in terms of deals...maybe just a short term lease of whatever is cheap via my son in law until the world is a more fun place!

Eta - hope the pics look better for you than they do on my phone!
Attached Images

Last edited by isleaiw1; 07-23-2020 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 9
Rbrown2765.50
mcoops1757.00
JustChris17489.00
M2Andy225.00
JD64270.50
dopper993532.50
Soul_Glo13347.00
rich100874.50
      07-23-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

Pics would look even better if they were all up the right way 😂😂

Must be a bit sad to see that kind of machine heading back, but at least you’ve scratched the itch.

With regards to the MINI, if you’re looking at a 5 door, don’t discount the Clubman for a bit more room and refinement over the hatches 👍
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18779.50
      07-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #3
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Wow that’s a bit of a shock. And maybe a bit of a knee jerk reaction too I would say.

Buy yourself a new M135i for a bit of fun without costing too much cash. Some pretty good deals on them and they drive wonderfully. I love driving ours but again with lockdown it’s underused at present.
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
isleaiw18779.50
      07-23-2020, 07:18 AM   #4
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Wow that’s a bit of a shock. And maybe a bit of a knee jerk reaction too I would say.

Buy yourself a new M135i for a bit of fun without costing too much cash. Some pretty good deals on them and they drive wonderfully. I love driving ours but again with lockdown it’s underused at present.
No knee jerk reaction, considered carefully, looked at needs not wants and decided now I have scratched the itch I am happy to move it on, particularly whilst I could get out of it at £5k more than WBAC said in March...

Wont be an M135i, if I was going for that running gear it would be in a Mini branded car, better for the dog.

But I have done fast, and now I want to do refined and comfortable. Its really not about the money (although I have been pondering more property as and when prices soften...)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
Pics would look even better if they were all up the right way 😂😂

Must be a bit sad to see that kind of machine heading back, but at least you’ve scratched the itch.

With regards to the MINI, if you’re looking at a 5 door, don’t discount the Clubman for a bit more room and refinement over the hatches 👍
I have the Mini, its my station and supermarket car (and dog walking and football etc). Bought and paid for, nearly 5 years old and nearly 21k miles on the clock. The plan is to have one car that does it all so it gets used.... but no rush, the Mini is a decent drive (although 300 mile round trip to see family will be less fun in it!).

Scratching the itch was exactly how I described it to my daughter, who thinks I am mad. But it was always my dream car back in the day - E39 especially - but now I think that maybe they are better suited to German intercontinental express duties than my weekend toy.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:27 AM   #6
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

I do think it's increasingly difficult to exploit the potential of very high powered cars on UK roads. Obviously that depends to some extent on where you live but even here in North Yorkshire - which has some great driving roads and a relatively low level of congestion - the dreaded camera vans are often lurking to spoil any enjoyment.

For that reason I think fun is more likely to be found in something like an Elise or perhaps even an MX5; they're not rocket ships in a straight line but the higher level of involvement and intimacy makes for a much more satisfying driving experience even at legal speeds. All IMHO of course!

ETA: And if you don't want more than one vehicle, a G21 M340i does a very good job of covering most of the bases - might be a bit biased there though!

Last edited by JNW1; 07-23-2020 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-23-2020, 07:28 AM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Blimey!

Sorry to hear that, what the mileage in the end and no pics here at the moment?

PS are we all officially shopping for you now too?
PPS 11 months you say...so officially less time than I changed my last car, duly noted

Last edited by JustChris; 07-23-2020 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18779.50
      07-23-2020, 07:30 AM   #8
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

As you know I have also sold mine, any WBAC quote is a joke so I would not even compare their numbers.

No doubt you took a hit but thats life with an M5, great cars but for me they are an itch to scratch and not as exciting as I had hoped in the long term.

Maybe a Cayman GT4 would be a better option for fun and better residuals

Here it is at Sytner Maidenhead £61,500

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...1-6d544a0f0c0b
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18779.50
      07-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #9
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
As you know I have also sold mine, any WBAC quote is a joke so I would not even compare their numbers.

No doubt you took a hit but thats life with an M5, great cars but for me they are an itch to scratch and not as exciting as I had hoped in the long term.

Tempted! Dammit I guess it went back in the 5's and they have it on for £61k. Bit of a bargain that now.
OneExtra810.50
      07-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #10
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post

Yep, they told me where it was going and how much, in case I knew anyone who wanted one on cheap rate finance....

Jon, think you missed refined and comfy from the brief, not sure a Cayman would fit that brief, and my Mum might struggle to get in and out at 85 (as might I to be honest!)

It was exciting - like when you squeezed the accelerator at 75 to get passed a wagon before the dual carriageway ran out and found it was doing slightly more when you next looked down (not an appropriate number for a public forum but more than 77...)

WBAC was £3k less this time (and a few quid).... but I am happy to have owned it and happy with what I got out of it....
Appreciate 2
OneExtra810.50
C320342.50
      07-23-2020, 07:42 AM   #11
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
I do think it's increasingly difficult to exploit the potential of very high powered cars on UK roads. Obviously that depends to some extent on where you live but even here in North Yorkshire - which has some great driving roads and a relatively low level of congestion - the dreaded camera vans are often lurking to spoil any enjoyment.

For that reason I think fun is more likely to be found in something like an Elise or perhaps even an MX5; they're not rocket ships in a straight line but the higher level of involvement and intimacy makes for a much more satisfying driving experience even at legal speeds. All IMHO of course!

ETA: And if you don't want more than one vehicle, a G21 M340i does a very good job of covering most of the bases - might be a bit biased there though!
funnily enough I did look at an MX5 a couple of weeks ago, but that and any of the ones I had wasnt a good combination. Not completely out of the question next year when we see whether there are bargains to be had in houses towards the end of the year. Rental properties make me money, unlike cars...

And yes an M340i T does do most things well, but so far no matter how much I look at them I cant love the looks....
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Tempted! Dammit I guess it went back in the 5's and they have it on for £61k. Bit of a bargain that now.
At the reduced rate finance it wont be a bad price.
And yes, alot of 5s...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:47 AM   #13
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

One other thing that wont help M5 sales, well actually 2:-

1) Anyone notice a cracking new spec you can put on a 5, MSport Pro or something? yes you pay for it, but it has M5 seats, looks great and is in only two colours, Donny Grey (beautiful) and TanzBlue2 (beautiful high maintenace). The wheels are cracking also. UK configurator doesn't have the Donny grey but image a de-badged 520D in that spec. M5 imitator lolz

2) The M550i

Bit problems with M5 pricing ahead I feel.
      07-23-2020, 07:55 AM   #14
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
One other thing that wont help M5 sales, well actually 2:-

1) Anyone notice a cracking new spec you can put on a 5, MSport Pro or something? yes you pay for it, but it has M5 seats, looks great and is in only two colours, Donny Grey (beautiful) and TanzBlue2 (beautiful high maintenace). The wheels are cracking also. UK configurator doesn't have the Donny grey but image a de-badged 520D in that spec. M5 imitator lolz

2) The M550i

Bit problems with M5 pricing ahead I feel.
I think the economic issues that will unfold post furlough scheme will be much more of an issue....

Still cant believe they arent bringing the M550i as an estate...... However, I did say to the Sytner guy that if Nott'm could just put a pre reg B3 Tourer on in green with a few choice extras and sell it to me for what price they have my M5 at, I will be at the front of the queue....

And I guess in my head that is what I am waiting for....
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      07-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #15
g9icy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe MSport

If you don't mind my asking, how did you get out of it so soon? Did you take a big financial hit?

An M5 is still my dream car, and I'd love to get an F90 when they drop to ~30k (in a few years ovs).
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18779.50
      07-23-2020, 08:24 AM   #16
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
And yes an M340i T does do most things well, but so far no matter how much I look at them I cant love the looks....
Quote:
However, I did say to the Sytner guy that if Nott'm could just put a pre reg B3 Tourer on in green with a few choice extras and sell it to me for what price they have my M5 at, I will be at the front of the queue....

And I guess in my head that is what I am waiting for....
No doubt a B3 Touring will be a better car (as it should be given the price differential!) but does it really look that much different from the M340i Touring? If looks are a problem with the latter I'm not sure spending loads more on the Alpina derivative would make a lot of sense!
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18779.50
      07-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #17
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

I know that feeling. Handing back my M5 was a sad day and even now I still think back to that car. The decision was maybe forced on me by circumstances but that's life.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it but the times to actually use it were very few and far between. I scratched the itch and can tick the M car off my bucket list. Maybe I'll have another go in the future but I think more with my practical hat on now than I used to do before.

There's a lot to be said for a bought and paid for all weather car. No need to be precious and doing a tip run is a lot easier

Onwards and upwards!
      07-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #18
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g9icy View Post
If you don't mind my asking, how did you get out of it so soon? Did you take a big financial hit?

An M5 is still my dream car, and I'd love to get an F90 when they drop to ~30k (in a few years ovs).
Big financial hit? Its all relative.... and fortunately once I have put down a deposit as far as I am concerned its gone and can be forgotten...

But yes, on a monthly / ppm basis the numbers are pretty shit. On dreams lived it seems ok....
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 09:01 AM   #19
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
No doubt a B3 Touring will be a better car (as it should be given the price differential!) but does it really look that much different from the M340i Touring? If looks are a problem with the latter I'm not sure spending loads more on the Alpina derivative would make a lot of sense!
Now you are being way too rational... always wanted an Alpina ever since my first BMW (an E30) used to go into Sytner Nott'm for service and repairs....

But you are probably right, the worst thing about the B3 is still the looks....
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #20
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:
Quote:

funnily enough I did look at an MX5 a couple of weeks ago, but that and any of the ones I had wasnt a good combination. Not completely out of the question next year when we see whether there are bargains to be had in houses towards the end of the year. Rental properties make me money, unlike cars...

540i Touring....?

Appreciate 1
isleaiw18779.50
      07-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #21
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
540i Touring....?
Its probably the car I should have bought first time, not sure I could buy one now....
Appreciate 1
mcoops1757.00
      07-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #22
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
540i Touring....?
Its probably the car I should have bought first time, not sure I could buy one now....
Not even with ACS breathing on it?

Appreciate 0