BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Admin Please remove this post

07-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #1
NBE23M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2

Admin Please remove this post

Please delete

Last edited by NBE23M2; 08-20-2020 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Delete
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      07-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #2
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Just wow.

1. Buy a low-mileage used engine
2. Sell car
3. Start over with a fresh car
Appreciate 3
      07-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
ewant81
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Sorry to hear about your engine! If you do replace the engine and start tuning again, I would strongly recommend getting a custom map with the car on some rollers. Failing that, get a wideband O2 sensor fitted with an AFR gauge so you can see when it's running lean.

It does sound like the Dinan flash map has made the engine run lean leading to excessive det.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      07-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewant81 View Post
Sorry to hear about your engine! If you do replace the engine and start tuning again, I would strongly recommend getting a custom map with the car on some rollers. Failing that, get a wideband O2 sensor fitted with an AFR gauge so you can see when it's running lean.

It does sound like the Dinan flash map has made the engine run lean leading to excessive det.
Couldn't he just use bootmod to log or do a live reading of the sensors to find out if everything is as it should be?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #5
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:

This was a piggyback, not the flash, right? Do you have a source for the flash running lean?
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2020, 01:14 PM   #6
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBE23M2 View Post
BMW reached out to me a week later with their findings: cylinder 1 had very low compression and due to the “Dinan tune” they weren’t going to cover it under warranty. They said they contacted Dinan for coverage but they weren’t going to cover it either since I “hadn’t purchased their entire package.” They said the car “needed a motor”. An M2 short block from BMW is $22,000 and the labor is $3,800. So all in about $26,000 plus tax. I asked what happened to the engine and they didn’t know anything except cylinder 1 failed a compression test and that there was metal present in the oil and the oil filter.
So what now?
Try to find an inventive solution for the problem.

Did Dinan inform you that the car "needed a motor" at the time of your order ?

07-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #7
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Dinan probably would have just rejected your claim cus of BM3 anyway but to deny based on you just having the tuner and not the whole package doesn't make sense. Are they saying you need the S2 package to have warranty? I wonder if everyone knows this cus this is news to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Can white smoke (burning oil) come out of an exhaust with a catalytic converter?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #9
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
Dinan probably would have just rejected your claim cus of BM3 anyway but to deny based on you just having the tuner and not the whole package doesn't make sense. Are they saying you need the S2 package to have warranty? I wonder if everyone knows this cus this is news to me.
It sounds like he had the $299 Dinan boost controller, not the Elite "Dinantronics" piggyback, with the supplementary warranty.

Regardless, he claimed he had removed the Dinan Sport, awhile back and went BM3 flash tuning, so Dinan's involvement is in this situation is completely irrelevant.

By design, the second you flash tune these vehicles through the OBD2 port, the ECU's 'checksum' triggers an incremental flash counter, with a sequenced date and time stamp attached, which is a dead giveway to anyone checking, how and when software was changed.

Thus, specifically the engine section of his warranty coverage would of been null & voided, either way. Case close, end of discussion.

Also, I bet you anything that he volunteered more information than what was necessary, to the dealer. So, he kind of sunk himself but I guess that's "right" thing to do.. Or so I've heard

It sounds like a used motor is in your future OP, good luck.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #10
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2/M3/4/5

That's awful, sorry to hear. Might as well expand your used motor search to include the S55. At least you'd be upgrading.
      07-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #11
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
That's awful, sorry to hear. Might as well expand your used motor search to include the S55. At least you'd be upgrading.
Um, huge can of worms. Not as easy as it sounds.

-Used N55
-Sell car
-Get different car.
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      07-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #12
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2/M3/4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Um, huge can of worms. Not as easy as it sounds.

-Used N55
-Sell car
-Get different car.
Perhaps, but we know it fits!
      07-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

OP a few things I want to add:

1) Did you data log your car after flashing the ots map for the first time and after the first misfire was addressed, if so can you post it?

This is an essential part to ensuring your car or local fuel quality can handle the map without issue.

2) Why didn't you half the maintenance interval? BMW is notorious for having extremely long maintenance intervals which contributes to premature failure after warranty. This shouldn't have been an issue for such a low mileage car though, just some advice I suppose.

3) What were the exact misfire codes and were the from bm3, ista, or a generic obd2 tool? Also did any of the spark plug electrode fall off into the cylinder?

4) It is kind of weird that the engine failed from a misfire, generally at such low power levels misfires tend to be benign.

5) Did you use anti-seize on your plugs?

6) I would not advise in buying any used n55 engine and dumping it in the car and selling it. If you do not have the proper paper work proving that the used engine was in good shape and an m2 engine you will loose insane resale value since bmw already inspected it and now it will be on the car fax reports.

7) What I recommend is filing a claim through your car insurance, if you have comprehensive coverage that will count towards engine replacements. Your premiums will jump but I think the end cost will be less than doing a proper m2 engine replacement.

Quote:

Wide band o2 sensors are not needed on BMW's because the factory sensor is already wide band and can provide all the data required through the obd2 port, unlike most Japanese cars which use narrow band sensors making it a requirement to have those gauges. So no need to waste money one an AFR gauge and wide band sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Couldn't he just use bootmod to log or do a live reading of the sensors to find out if everything is as it should be?
Yes that is exactly what he could have done.
KevM2723.50
Megator517.50
      07-23-2020, 04:30 PM   #14
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
Perhaps, but we know it fits!
it will fit but it will be hard and expensive.

From the different wiring harness, different ecu's, different intakes, exhaust, different LPFP, different engine mounts, different cooling set up (meaning different mounting brackets, different under body trays for the oil cooler).

So not going to be an easy retrofit, and you have a bunch of extra stuff you have to buy.
Hankdoll135.50
      07-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #15
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post

7) What I recommend is filing a claim through your car insurance, if you have comprehensive coverage that will count towards engine replacements. Your premiums will jump but I think the end cost will be less than doing a proper m2 engine replacement.

Comprehensive auto insurance doesn't cover mechanical breakdowns, especially since it's already documented that it was a result of intentional tuning.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #16
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Comprehensive auto insurance doesn't cover mechanical breakdowns, especially since it's already documented that it was a result of intentional tuning.

Oh yes my bad, I get confused since collector/modified car insurance also includes mechanical break down insurance which is different than comprehensive.
Poochie9104.50
      07-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #17
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
It sounds like he had the $299 Dinan boost controller, not the Elite "Dinantronics" piggyback, with the supplementary warranty.

Regardless, he claimed he had removed the Dinan Sport, awhile back and went BM3 flash tuning, so Dinan's involvement is in this situation is completely irrelevant.

By design, the second you flash tune these vehicles through the OBD2 port, the ECU's 'checksum' triggers an incremental flash counter, with a sequenced date and time stamp attached, which is a dead giveway to anyone checking, how and when software was changed.

Thus, specifically the engine section of his warranty coverage would of been null & voided, either way. Case close, end of discussion.

Also, I bet you anything that he volunteered more information than what was necessary, to the dealer. So, he kind of sunk himself but I guess that's "right" thing to do.. Or so I've heard

It sounds like a used motor is in your future OP, good luck.
PTF claims the flash counter reverts to what is was before the tune when the car is reverted to stock. I'd be very curious to hear how the dealer figured out he had a "Dinan" tune. Did they actually see evidence of a flash or did the OP not completely remove the Dinan "chip" device?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #18
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
PTF claims the flash counter reverts to what is was before the tune when the car is reverted to stock. I'd be very curious to hear how the dealer figured out he had a "Dinan" tune. Did they actually see evidence of a flash or did the OP not completely remove the Dinan "chip" device?
He probably left the dinan tmap harness (since the sport tuner is only one cable) on while he brought the car for service, seeing that he probably thought it is a dinan tuner so it should be ok. Despite the fact that not all dinan products come with warranty, the sport tuner is an example. So when the tech saw it they marked it down.

Also I don't believe the flash counter is everything, there are probably other mechanisms the car can use to detect tunes, like boost deviation in comparison to fueling for piggy backs. Or hidden ghost codes for flash tunes. There is even data stored on the key.
      07-23-2020, 06:03 PM   #19
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
He probably left the dinan tmap harness (since the sport tuner is only one cable) on while he brought the car for service, seeing that he probably thought it is a dinan tuner so it should be ok. Despite the fact that not all dinan products come with warranty, the sport tuner is an example. So when the tech saw it they marked it down.

Also I don't believe the flash counter is everything, there are probably other mechanisms the car can use to detect tunes, like boost deviation in comparison to fueling for piggy backs. Or hidden ghost codes for flash tunes. There is even data stored on the key.
Right but usually thats not something the dealer checks for in their service bay. I've heard of BMW corp sending engineers down to collect that data themselves, which likely could have happened anyway with a blown motor. This just seems like they saw some mod non BM3 related. Unless they saw some flash tampering and just assumed it was a Dinan flash.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #20
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Right but usually thats not something the dealer checks for in their service bay. I've heard of BMW corp sending engineers down to collect that data themselves, which likely could have happened anyway with a blown motor. This just seems like they saw some mod non BM3 related. Unless they saw some flash tampering and just assumed it was a Dinan flash.
If the service technician sees it and feels like reporting it they will. That was probably what occured in this case.
      07-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #21
matty_f
on restriction from buying more cars
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 18 GT3T, 16 LR4, 67 912

I’d see if Carbahn can rebuild it for you. They sell performance S55 engines, maybe they’ll do an N55 too.
https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...83-m4-f87-m2c/
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:22 PM   #22
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
I’d see if Carbahn can rebuild it for you. They sell performance S55 engines, maybe they’ll do an N55 too.
https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...83-m4-f87-m2c/
+1

or try vac too.