BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-25-2020, 04:50 AM   #1
denis_auckland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 GO5

Darth Vader noise on M50d?

Hi there, I am new to this forum and just bought a 2020 M50d G05, after a 2016 30D F15. Down here in NZ, the M50d comes with the M Sport exhaust package. Not sure about the rest of the world.

Anyway we just bought it in May 2020 and I have a problem with a noise at around 1,500-1,700 RPM in town when you re-accelerate from around 30kph to about 45 kph; it's just happens when driving in town at these speeds. My kids called Darth Vader noise because it sounds like that...like a low pitch noise at low speed but quite noisy.

I went back to the dealer in Auckland first at about 200 km (now have been back 3 times because I feel it's getting worse) and they initially thought it was not a normal noise but then we tested the 3 other M50d they had and they were all doing the same noise . So they think it's what they call a characteristic (because it gives "character" to the car...). After multiple testings, they now think that it's linked to the butterfly flap in the exhaust that controls maybe the NOx emissions...when they disconnect it, it stops the noise...but they are not sure it would do anything if they do disconnect it

Has anyone heard anything about a similar noise on an M50d ? to be honest it really bothers me and I would like to find out if it's just a problem with that NZ batch or if everyone can hear it! thanks in advance for your help!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:23 PM   #2
denis_auckland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 GO5

Hi everybody, nobody has posted anything about this rattling noise at low speed around 1,200-1,800 rpm so maybe there's not a lot of people that have the issue, which is possible...
So because the noise really bothers me and it's getting louder and happening more often, I continued to investigate a bit. I can't say that the dealership I bought the car from has been super super helpful...for them, it's a characteristic noise of the M50d because the other 2 they had from the same month of manufacturing were making it; although a lot less loud than mine... Yeah right...

Basically my G05 M50d is an August 2019 built from Spartenburg but it has a March 2020 software update. So I tried to find another M50d from a different batch; it's not super easy because all these cars sell faster than usual since none of the potential buyers can spend their money on anything else at the moment...

After telling my story a dozen of times (I'm really sorry to all the sales and service guys that have had to listen to it...), I managed to find one at another dealer in Auckland and I drove it for about 15-20 min and surprise ( I expected it a little bit though), it doesn't make any noise at all!
If anything the engine (with 4,300 km) felt a bit more silent than mine at 2,200km, even if mine has the double glazing at the front.
This M50d is a November 2019 built from Spartenburg (I guess there's only one factory, right?) but it has a November 2019 software update.

There could be some other random reasons why my G05 is doing that rattling noise but it looks like it could be some parts of that August batch or the software that's playing and making things funny.

if someone with any technical knowledge of the G05 exhaust (or how the M performance exhaust works) or has any other hypothesis, that would be nice if they can post a little note! the car is still under warranty anyway ! or anything that could help! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by denis_auckland; 08-07-2020 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
SE12313.00
      08-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
chriscross
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2024, Mustang MACH 1

Mine is the X6 M50d, December 2019 build, and I think we might have a similar issue...accelerating slowly, at around 1500-1800 rpm, I hear a grinding, possibly hissing or vibrating noise from the rear...hard to describe. The dealer said it's the normal "performance" sound of the M50d and that was it.

Of course I didn't like their answer but had no time to investigate further. I still have no idea what it might be, I thought for a while that it was the exhaust tip cover vibrating at certain rpm range. Since it's tied to a specific rpm range it could be related to vibration of something. It can be heard in all modes and funny enough it's sometimes not there at all.

Love your enthusiasm to get to the bottom of this, will follow this thread for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #4
DBV
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G20 330d, Brabus Smart

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2018 Brabus Smart  [0.00]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Sounds like a headache and a half!

Perhaps posting a video of the sound/issue will help other chime in. Everyone describes things differently, so it might help pinpoint whats going on.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
Jelle_Luyten
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis_auckland View Post
Hi everybody, nobody has posted anything about this rattling noise at low speed around 1,200-1,800 rpm so maybe there's not a lot of people that have the issue, which is possible...
So because the noise really bothers me and it's getting louder and happening more often, I continued to investigate a bit. I can't say that the dealership I bought the car from has been super super helpful...for them, it's a characteristic noise of the M50d because the other 2 they had from the same month of manufacturing were making it; although a lot less loud than mine... Yeah right...

Basically my G05 M50d is an August 2019 built from Spartenburg but it has a March 2020 software update. So I tried to find another M50d from a different batch; it's not super easy because all these cars sell faster than usual since none of the potential buyers can spend their money on anything else at the moment...

After telling my story a dozen of times (I'm really sorry to all the sales and service guys that have had to listen to it...), I managed to find one at another dealer in Auckland and I drove it for about 15-20 min and surprise ( I expected it a little bit though), it doesn't make any noise at all!
If anything the engine (with 4,300 km) felt a bit more silent than mine at 2,200km, even if mine has the double glazing at the front.
This M50d is a November 2019 built from Spartenburg (I guess there's only one factory, right?) but it has a November 2019 software update.

There could be some other random reasons why my G05 is doing that rattling noise but it looks like it could be some parts of that August batch or the software that's playing and making things funny.

if someone with any technical knowledge of the G05 exhaust (or how the M performance exhaust works) or has any other hypothesis, that would be nice if they can post a little note! the car is still under warranty anyway ! or anything that could help! Thanks in advance!
Hi,

I am from Belgium, also have a X5 M50D of 2020 and I have the same problem, well problem..,

I thaught it is the waste-gate of the turbos.., A wastegate is a valve in the exhaust of a turbocharged engine, this valve bypasses the turbocharger(s) and prevents the turbo from building up too much pressure.., when the valve opens you hear a sound like 😄 pshhhh… 😙

Could this be your sound ( 😄 )
Attached Images