BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos From E46 to RS4 MY FULL CLEAR BRA REVIEW

09-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
citanest
Registered
Rep
Drives: RS4

From E46 to RS4 MY FULL CLEAR BRA REVIEW

I had the E46 for 6 years, sold it and looked into E90 M3 and RS4. I needed all wheel drive for safety reason. If for it wasn't because of our Toronto winter, I would have gone with the M3.

This thread is not to compare to 2 cars. Coming from BMW, I thought I wanted to share with you my clear bra experience.

I had 3M on my car and it is too visible and not clear enough for my taste. Plus there are many stretch marks, which make the bra very very noticeable.
The installor who did the 3M on my car was considered is one the best in Toronto area. They are the authorized installor for Ferrari's.
However, I think the installation is less than satisfactory, though they will still be better than the ones done by dealerships.

So, after talking to Kevin from GTA in detail and seeing his ventureShield, I decieded to redo mine by Marco from *******************.

I had Kevin reprep the car and Marco came next day to install the clear bra.
The area I did include full hood, full fenders, headlights, fogs, side mirror, rockers, bumper behind rear wheels and trunk area.
I am very happy with the results. The clarity is close to factory paint. It's much thicker than 3M. It's much clearer than 3M. The installations have ver very minor stretch marks which can only be seen very very close up.

This is what I have learnt in the process and would like to share it with you. There are 2 installation techniques and 2 type of wrapping.

The first technique is custom cut, which means the installor will lay a large piece of film on the area that to be clear bra. Then use a knife to cut the shape according to the area. Most people would freak when they see it because the installor is using a knife cutting stuff at about 1/2 inch from your paint. However, a good installor will never touch the actual paint. The advantage of this is you can create any shape you want and it will cover more area (in most cases) than the 2nd technique - precut kit. The disadvantage is (other than using a knife on your fresh new pain) the installors, while attempting to cover every single area, will easily overstretch the film and creates stretch marks. This is what happened to my 1st installation on 3M. Also, depending on the materials used, 3M is more stretchable than ventureShield. That's because it's thinner, which also makes it easier to manuvour around edges.

2nd technique is called pre-cut kit. The kit comes in pre-cut by a company which doesn't necessary manufacture the actual film. Some companies allow you to adjust the kit a little and some don't. Some kits fit like shxt and some fit 100%. The advantage of this technique is that if the you find pre-cut kit company that does really precise cutting, it will fit better than custom cut, while not having to worry about the knife issues. The disdavntage is you will usually get less coverage than a custom cut because pre-cut kit is usually more convervative they way they cut the film. The kit is designed to FIT 100% with the expense of not covering smaller, more hidden areas.

So, the 2 type of wrappings are to the edges and around the the edges.
To edges mean the film only cover to the edges. You will see the line on the edge, but not very noticeable.
Around the edges mean the film will wrap around the edges and you won't see the line. Obviously, there are areas that wrapping around the edges is impossible unless certain parts are removed from the car (ie. headlights, bumpers)

90% of the pre-cut kits are to the edges. Some pre-cut kits will allow the installor to extend the kit to make it become around the edges. For custom cut, it can either be to the edges or around the edges depending on the "material" and "the width of the area behind the edges".
For example, like I said, 3M is thinner and easier to manuvour, which means 3M doesn't need a lot of area underneath the edges to make it stay. it's a more flexible material and that's why installors love it. 3M can cover more area as it can go into smaller areas and stay down no problem. VentureShield, because of its thickness, requires a wider area udnerneath the edges to stay down. To summarize, 3M gives more coverage while ventureshield gives better coverage. However, in my experience, I just can't stand the clearness of 3M. A lot of people say 3M is clear haven't seen what ventureSheild can offer.

Having said all that, 3M has upgraded their films many times over the years. And according to my first installor, they are using the most current ones and they buy them in bulk to get a very good price.

For my car, some part are custom, some part are pre-cut, some wrap, some aren't.
If your installor knows what he is doing, he will get you the best coverage without breaking your wallet.

Kevin: http://www.****************/
Marco: http://*****************************/

Last edited by citanest; 09-28-2008 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

That is one good looking car! Love those rims!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by citanest View Post

I had the E46 for 6 years, sold it and looked into E90 M3 and RS4. I needed all wheel drive for safety reason. If for it wasn't because of our Toronto winter, I would have gone with the M3.

This thread is not to compare to 2 cars. Coming from BMW, I thought I wanted to share with you my clear bra experience.

I had 3M on my car and it is too visible and not clear enough for my taste. Plus there are many stretch marks, which make the bra very very noticeable.
The installor who did the 3M on my car was considered is one the best in Toronto area. They are the authorized installor for Ferrari's.
However, I think the installation is less than satisfactory, though they will still be better than the ones done by dealerships.

So, after talking to Kevin from GTA in detail and seeing his ventureShield, I decieded to redo mine by Marco from *******************.

I had Kevin reprep the car and Marco came next day to install the clear bra.
The area I did include full hood, full fenders, headlights, fogs, side mirror, rockers, bumper behind rear wheels and trunk area.
I am very happy with the results. The clarity is close to factory paint. It's much thicker than 3M. It's much clearer than 3M. The installations have ver very minor stretch marks which can only be seen very very close up.

This is what I have learnt in the process and would like to share it with you. There are 2 installation techniques and 2 type of wrapping.

The first technique is custom cut, which means the installor will lay a large piece of film on the area that to be clear bra. Then use a knife to cut the shape according to the area. Most people would freak when they see it because the installor is using a knife cutting stuff at about 1/2 inch from your paint. However, a good installor will never touch the actual paint. The advantage of this is you can create any shape you want and it will cover more area (in most cases) than the 2nd technique - precut kit. The disadvantage is (other than using a knife on your fresh new pain) the installors, while attempting to cover every single area, will easily overstretch the film and creates stretch marks. This is what happened to my 1st installation on 3M. Also, depending on the materials used, 3M is more stretchable than ventureShield. That's because it's thinner, which also makes it easier to manuvour around edges.

2nd technique is called pre-cut kit. The kit comes in pre-cut by a company which doesn't necessary manufacture the actual film. Some companies allow you to adjust the kit a little and some don't. Some kits fit like shxt and some fit 100%. The advantage of this technique is that if the you find pre-cut kit company that does really precise cutting, it will fit better than custom cut, while not having to worry about the knife issues. The disdavntage is you will usually get less coverage than a custom cut because pre-cut kit is usually more convervative they way they cut the film. The kit is designed to FIT 100% with the expense of not covering smaller, more hidden areas.

So, the 2 type of wrappings are to the edges and around the the edges.
To edges mean the film only cover to the edges. You will see the line on the edge, but not very noticeable.
Around the edges mean the film will wrap around the edges and you won't see the line. Obviously, there are areas that wrapping around the edges is impossible unless certain parts are removed from the car (ie. headlights, bumpers)

90% of the pre-cut kits are to the edges. Some pre-cut kits will allow the installor to extend the kit to make it become around the edges. For custom cut, it can either be to the edges or around the edges depending on the "material" and "the width of the area behind the edges".
For example, like I said, 3M is thinner and easier to manuvour, which means 3M doesn't need a lot of area underneath the edges to make it stay. it's a more flexible material and that's why installors love it. 3M can cover more area as it can go into smaller areas and stay down no problem. VentureShield, because of its thickness, requires a wider area udnerneath the edges to stay down. To summarize, 3M gives more coverage while ventureshield gives better coverage. However, in my experience, I just can't stand the clearness of 3M. A lot of people say 3M is clear haven't seen what ventureSheild can offer.

Having said all that, 3M has upgraded their films many times over the years. And according to my first installor, they are using the most current ones and they buy them in bulk to get a very good price.

For my car, some part are custom, some part are pre-cut, some wrap, some aren't.
If your installor knows what he is doing, he will get you the best coverage without breaking your wallet.

These are the guys who helped me
The GREAT things about them is THEY COME TO ME. I don't have to go to them.
I can confidentially say that you can't find anyone better in Toronto.

Kevin: http://www.****************/
Marco: http://*****************************/

Kevin is the optimum wax guy.
Marco is the plexus guy.
Wrong forum to post an ad

Great looking RS4 though, titanium package is a must have
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Its a 3 year old design, and I still prefer the looks over the E90 M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
nice ad, now get lost
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

09-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Sovereignty
sovereignty
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M 6MT

Beautiful car, love the RS4
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
I reccomend anyone intersted in a clear bra do a Google search. Vetureshield has consistantly outperformed 3M in durability in independant tests. It has better memory, meaning when a rock/peble hits the front, it smooths out back to normal better than 3M. Most installers push 3M because it is easier to install.
      09-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
citanest
Registered
Rep
Drives: RS4

You can delete the post if you wish

I don't affiliate with them. I "WASTED" a lot of money to find the right people and be able to do such a review... I don't care if you delete this if you don't find this beneficial.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 01:24 AM   #10
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Thanks for sharing that op ....venturesfield is a good product!

Damn.....I've never seen a RS4 in black and damn does it look good
      09-30-2008, 01:28 AM   #11
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
FWIW GTA in Detail is Picus on here, so not a complete ad I suppose.

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 02:17 AM   #12
KkSc
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 13'FR-S/15' F80 M3

I LOVE RS4!!~~

2015 F80 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 02:53 AM   #13
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

well,few years ago maybe was a great ride,now its just old audi with nice rims!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #14
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
So does that make the E30 M3 just some old, boxy, BMW.
      09-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #15
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Clean, clean car man.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #16
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:

That car looks clean, and sharp as hell.
      09-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #17
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Another satisfied customer with VentureShield.

Great product. Many people who look at my car upclose love the VentureShield.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #18
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by citanest View Post
I don't affiliate with them. I "WASTED" a lot of money to find the right people and be able to do such a review... I don't care if you delete this if you don't find this beneficial.
People just find it suspect that your first post here happens to be a thread started by you about what a great job these people have done... and that you can contact them this way...

... especially since you don't have an E9X.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #19
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
People just find it suspect that your first post here happens to be a thread started by you about what a great job these people have done... and that you can contact them this way...

... especially since you don't have an E9X.
+1 . ive seen him post the same AD on other forums. he didnt even post pics of the cut off line which is the most important. just a bunch of different angle pics taken with a really good camera. advertisers are getting smart
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #20
KkSc
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 13'FR-S/15' F80 M3

Quote:

2015 F80 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #21
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMazing07 View Post
+1 . ive seen him post the same AD on other forums. he didnt even post pics of the cut off line which is the most important. just a bunch of different angle pics taken with a really good camera. advertisers are getting smart
I hate to break it to you guys, but this isn't an ad. Neither I nor Marco asked the OP to post here or anywhere else. Not to sound arrogant (a shame it'll come off that way), but I don't really need an ad here. I have like 4,000 posts on e90post and I've worked on just south of 150 e90/e92's in the GTA this year alone (including 16 guys from this forum)...if someone from the GTA didn't know about me by now I doubt this thread is going to clue them in.

Regarding his pictures; there are no cut off lines to show. It's a full front end wrap. That's the idea, no seams, no cuts, no lines. And before anyone accuses me of selling a product, I don't install clear bras or affiliate with anyone that does. I know a good installer though; which makes sense considering what I do.

I think the OP just wanted to post the results of the clear bra since it was such a long and involved process for him. Probably trying to save other people the trouble he went through. Pulling off a full wrap and putting on another is neither easy nor cheap.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #22
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

this is old high production model,i cant see any value..i will not change my mind!
Appreciate 0