BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
mjchernis
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Auto Stop/Start Button Not Working

The Auto Stop/Start button in my 2020 X5 M5.0i has stopped working. When I press it, it does not disable the Auto Stop/Start functionality, it does not click (and provide haptic feedback) like the other buttons, and it does not light up to show that Auto Stop/Start has been disabled. The buttons directly above it all seem to work perfectly..

Here is the weird thing..it was working fine but stopped working after the 3/2020 OTA update. Also, if I hold down the volume button for 10 seconds and reboot the iDrive, the button works for about 15 seconds and then stops working again.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Does it work after the engine is up to temperature?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjchernis View Post
Also, if I hold down the volume button for 10 seconds and reboot the iDrive, the button works for about 15 seconds and then stops working again.

Any ideas?
Are you sure iDrive actually reboots after only a 10 second hold on the volume knob? 30 seconds has always been the rule, maybe its not actually rebooting but simply shutting off???? Just a guess.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
mjchernis
Private
Rep

Yes, you are correct it is definitely more than 10 seconds. Can tell it is a full reboot—all the screens in the car restart. And, oddly, the button works for a few seconds afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
mjchernis
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCrash View Post
Does it work after the engine is up to temperature?
No. Does not seem to have anything to do with how long the car is running.

The Auto Stop/Start itself works fine...it is the button you use to disable it that does not work.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:52 PM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
No. Does not seem to have anything to do with how long the car is running.

The Auto Stop/Start itself works fine...it is the button you use to disable it that does not work.
Does the little red light integrated within the push button turn on and off when you toggle it when the switch is working correctly and also when it is not working correctly?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The Auto Stop/Start button in my 2020 X5 M5.0i has stopped working. When I press it, it does not disable the Auto Stop/Start functionality, it does not click (and provide haptic feedback) like the other buttons, and it does not light up to show that Auto Stop/Start has been disabled. The buttons directly above it all seem to work perfectly..

Here is the weird thing..it was working fine but stopped working after the 3/2020 OTA update. Also, if I hold down the volume button for 10 seconds and reboot the iDrive, the button works for about 15 seconds and then stops working again.

Any ideas?
Started driving mine couple of days ago. Not a big fan of the auto start/stop function. For one thing, no body comes to a complete stop at stop sign. I got the feeling that the car seems to think that if needs to cut off the engine and then it realizes that "oh, no, I need to go"

Is there a way of having it disabled by default without coding?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 05:20 PM   #8
mjchernis
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Does the little red light integrated within the push button turn on and off when you toggle it when the switch is working correctly and also when it is not working correctly?
The red light does NOT come on when the button system is not working. However, in the 15-30 seconds after a reboot when the button clicks properly, the light comes on properly too.

At first, I thought it was a problem with the switch itself--but now, I think it is something else. Otherwise, it would not function after the iDrive reboot, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #9
mjchernis
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
Started driving mine couple of days ago. Not a big fan of the auto start/stop function. For one thing, no body comes to a complete stop at stop sign. I got the feeling that the car seems to think that if needs to cut off the engine and then it realizes that "oh, no, I need to go"

No way of disabling it by default. That is why it is so annoying that the switch is not working. No way to disable it now.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #10
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post

No way of disabling it by default. That is why it is so annoying that the switch is not working. No way to disable it now.
You probably need to bring it back to the dealer. If it's just a switch issue as ppl suggested here, it should be fairly simple and quick dix
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 08:15 PM   #11
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
ASS button not working: unfortunately, since all the "buttons" on that control panel are not actually buttons but rather touch sensors with a single effective activation "button" for numerous touch points for the activation and haptic effects, if ASS "button" has failed (or has degenerated), it would mean the localized touch sensor has failed and that would require the replacement of the entire panel. Maybe make sure everything is dry and your fingers are not accidentally touching any other part of the panel at all when pressing the ASS button. If defective, definitely warranty, but with part delays, could be a very long wait. Could be a good time to retrofit with the crystal controls panel if that's desired :-).

ASS Coding: ASS cannot be "coded off", but ASS can be coded (including using Bimmercode) to remember the last ASS setting for Comfort and Adaptive modes. Default behaviour for those modes is to not remember the ASS setting and always default to ASS enabled. The coding allows it to remember. There is currently no way to make it remember without coding on G05/G06/G07 platform. Sport mode and gear in Sport shift are always ASS off and Eco (in normal shift) is always ASS on, unless the button is pressed or gear shift is placed in Sport shift (left) — cannot be coded to remember.

PS Yes, I like saying ASS without the usual societal reprimands :-).
      08-02-2020, 08:36 PM   #12
mjchernis
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
ASS button not working: unfortunately, since all the "buttons" on that control panel are not actually buttons but rather touch sensors with a single effective activation "button" for numerous touch points for the activation and haptic effects, if ASS "button" has failed (or has degenerated), it would mean the localized touch sensor has failed and that would require the replacement of the entire panel. Maybe make sure everything is dry and your fingers are not accidentally touching any other part of the panel at all when pressing the ASS button. If defective, definitely warranty, but with part delays, could be a very long wait. Could be a good time to retrofit with the crystal controls panel if that's desired :-).

ASS Coding: ASS cannot be "coded off", but ASS can be coded (including using Bimmercode) to remember the last ASS setting for Comfort and Adaptive modes. Default behaviour for those modes is to not remember the ASS setting and always default to ASS enabled. The coding allows it to remember. There is currently no way to make it remember without coding on G05/G06/G07 platform. Sport mode and gear in Sport shift are always ASS off and Eco (in normal shift) is always ASS on, unless the button is pressed or gear shift is placed in Sport shift (left) — cannot be coded to remember.

Very helpful... I dread having the dealer go in and replace that panel. Can only imagine the scratches and damage to all the surrounding shiny black plastic. That said, will bring it to the dealer and hope for the best.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #13
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Not in Sport Mode?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #14
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Very helpful... I dread having the dealer go in and replace that panel. Can only imagine the scratches and damage to all the surrounding shiny black plastic. That said, will bring it to the dealer and hope for the best.
In the meantime, you can drive in either or both Sport drive mode and/or Sport shift mode.
      08-02-2020, 10:37 PM   #15
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post

Would coding the car void the warranty? Especially considering I plan to keep the car for 7+ yr, therefore spent extra $ for the extended warranty..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 10:50 PM   #16
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

ASS will function better with the new 24V mild hybrids. The engine will turn off earlier but you can still drive electric the last meters slowing down. Pulling up again will be more smooth with the electric push.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:13 AM   #17
mjchernis
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
ASS will function better with the new 24V mild hybrids. The engine will turn off earlier but you can still drive electric the last meters slowing down. Pulling up again will be more smooth with the electric push.
Not sure I follow. This is related to a problem with the switch itself--not the performance of the ASS function.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #18
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Not sure I follow. This is related to a problem with the switch itself--not the performance of the ASS function.
No it has nothing to do with your problem. Sorry for the confusion. I was replying to the functioning of the start stop function in general. So the annoying situation where you slow down for a traffic light, the engine switches of at the moment you want to accelerate again.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 10:33 PM   #19
ducatiti
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Any update on this.. I have the same exact issue for my X7?

mjchernis
Appreciate 0