F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Fault code: 120308
proTUNING Freaks

08-08-2020, 05:48 PM   #1
jwtw
bavarian newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i RWD

Fault code: 120308

So I replaced my valve cover and gasket last week (no leaks!! F* YAH!!).

BUT, when I was test driving the car I got the Drivetrain Malfunction error message. Sigh.

Car is supposed to go in "limp" mode. But it runs fine. No weird noises or power loss issues. I don't hammer it when it pops the code. But as far as I can tell it runs fine.

As soon as I turn the car off the code clears. When I go back out for a drive the code will pop after about 10 minutes or so. No rhyme or reason when the code pops. Cruising speeds or hammering it, it'll pop doing both.

I did replace the pressure converter and hose because that's the only thing that I removed from the car when I did the VCG. At least the only thing that makes sense as far as the code is concerned.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should look for? Don't really want to replace random parts. I find it strange that I have this issue after I replace the VC. Ugh.

Anyway thanks for any and all help!!

Enter fault code: 120308
Possible cause of fault:
- Boost pressure sensor defective
- Pressure converter wastegate valve + hose / Replaced 8.8.2020
- Wastegate valve defective (stuck open)
Attached Images

08-08-2020, 09:27 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

When you get a code google it along with 'BMW'. You'll usually get a large number of results, like this one: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...41407-5981.pdf
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 10:38 PM   #3
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtw View Post
So I replaced my valve cover and gasket last week (no leaks!! F* YAH!!).

BUT, when I was test driving the car I got the Drivetrain Malfunction error message. Sigh.

Car is supposed to go in "limp" mode. But it runs fine. No weird noises or power loss issues. I don't hammer it when it pops the code. But as far as I can tell it runs fine.

As soon as I turn the car off the code clears. When I go back out for a drive the code will pop after about 10 minutes or so. No rhyme or reason when the code pops. Cruising speeds or hammering it, it'll pop doing both.

I did replace the pressure converter and hose because that's the only thing that I removed from the car when I did the VCG. At least the only thing that makes sense as far as the code is concerned.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should look for? Don't really want to replace random parts. I find it strange that I have this issue after I replace the VC. Ugh.

Anyway thanks for any and all help!!

Enter fault code: 120308
Possible cause of fault:
- Boost pressure sensor defective
- Pressure converter wastegate valve + hose / Replaced 8.8.2020
- Wastegate valve defective (stuck open)
Same code what was the issue?