E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Evolve - Switchable mapping (previously: FAO Guys at Evolve)

09-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Evolve - Switchable mapping (previously: FAO Guys at Evolve)

In another thread it was mentioned you might have a switchable maps (like GIAC on the S3) available early 2009.

I like the idea of
a) valet mode
b) go to work mode
c) turbo nutty b*****d mode (aka DXB mode)

I'd hold on until then for a map if this was a definite go-er.

I was going to send an email but thought it might be of general interest.

So can you guys give us any more info on if and when and even how please?

Ta
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
OH, and a 'undetectable by dealer due to possible warranty claim' mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
In another thread it was mentioned you might have a switchable maps (like GIAC on the S3) available early 2009.

I like the idea of
a) valet mode
b) go to work mode

Ta
We have something like this for most VAG's and other diesel cars. We use it most on Range Rovers. It has now been released for BMW EDC16 ECU which includes 1/318d 122 BHP, 1/320d 163 BHP, 325d, 330d and 335d.

evolve switch

It can hold 3 maps ie Standard/Map1/Map2 and allows the user to switch maps by plugging it into the diagnostics port and following the onscreen instructions.

The cost of the switchable unit is £185 inc VAT and delivery plus the cost of the remap. Additonal maps are £150 each. TBH additional maps are gimmicky. Our normal tunes return more MPG anyway. The only use I can think of for additional maps at this stage is to have a milder map for the other half driving but then you are better off returning it back to standard.

We have some in stock ready for next day delivery.

Last edited by Imran@Evolve; 03-20-2009 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: Updated
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Awesome.....please put me down for one.

You can take all the movies you want. I'll even let you make movies with my sister I just want one

Any chance of more than 3 maps?

i.e

a) standard
b) valet
c) fuel economy
d) power

Actually that raises two more questions

a) how far can you detune the car?
b) do you have a fuel economy map? i.e one that keeps the turbos off longer or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 05:30 AM   #5
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

I had a similar thing on my old Volvo S60R and it was brilliant

I'll definitely have one for my 330d
      09-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #6
Yellow Snow
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe. Stock no more!

What happens with all the fault codes that get logged when a car is re mapped? Will this thing clear them?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 06:14 AM   #7
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes it will.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 06:20 AM   #8
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Awesome.....please put me down for one.

You can take all the movies you want. I'll even let you make movies with my sister I just want one

Any chance of more than 3 maps?

i.e

a) standard
b) valet
c) fuel economy
d) power

Actually that raises two more questions

a) how far can you detune the car?
b) do you have a fuel economy map? i.e one that keeps the turbos off longer or something like that.
Not something that has been considered yet. I think 3 maps is probably enough but will see if there is scope for more maps to be stored in the unit.

a) Not something we have tested yet.
b) Our power tunes also return more MPG so we have not looked into trying to improve MPG further. This is something we should look into though.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:

I like the idea of
a) valet mode
b) go to work mode

Ta

MRs3 surely all that would be a waste if time. My map is absolutely fine, on the road, on track and on the strip..... Its as quick as Evolve ''super Jules'' map also.

Creating and running the set-up you mention would be costly and ultimately a waste of time.
      09-30-2008, 07:44 AM   #10
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
MRs3 surely all that would be a waste if time. My map is absolutely fine, on the road, on track and on the strip..... Its as quick as Evolve ''super Jules'' map also.

Creating and running the set-up you mention would be costly and ultimately a waste of time.
I appreciate a map is fine. That's what i will be getting - in fact 3 of them! So that would make it 3 times better using DXB-logic.?

But to humour you and explain why it wouldn't be a waste of time
a) I live in Glasgow so for me to get to Evolve for a remap after servicing would cost £100+ approx in diesel, nevermind the time and effort.
b) I can put it in for service 'standard'
c) I don't need 350bhp for my 5 mile drive to work past 6 schools on potholed country roads.
d) If i lend my car to someone else, i'd feel much happier knowing it was in Valet mode or at least standard.

As for costly - can you let me in on how much it would cost?
And if you are going down the cost route - your DMS remap is twice as expensive as others which give very similar curves and outputs. So explain that decision?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #11
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Not something that has been considered yet. I think 3 maps is probably enough but will see if there is scope for more maps to be stored in the unit.

a) Not something we have tested yet.
b) Our power tunes also return more MPG so we have not looked into trying to improve MPG further. This is something we should look into though.
Thanks Imran. Great info.

I'll get back to sound upgrades and wait for power...ahem fuel economy upgrades from you guys
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #12
MOB
Major
England
Rep

09-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #13
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I dont personally see the need for a standard or lesser state of tune map. The cars not a 600bhp RWD cosworth animal, its a 340-350bhp very well balanced BMW 3 series.

It can run happily at 350bhp all day long. easy to drive and not a handful.

If bmw can tell whether a cars mapped or not then they would still see its mapped but on a lower state of tune so really still not worth having.

A custom live map to enable 3 stages would cost in excess of 3k due to the complexity and the need for aftermarket engine manegment.

Now it would be a good idea if your running 450bhp+ with bespoke engine parts and turbos and needed to preserve the life of other drivetrain components etc.
      09-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #14
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I dont personally see the need for a standard or lesser state of tune map.
I don't personally see the need to prove that i can press the accelerator pedal and let go of the footbrake really well and post up my times. But some do. Each to their own i say.

Quote:
The cars not a 600bhp RWD cosworth animal,
Surely the DXB isn't far of it?

Quote:
its a 340-350bhp very well balanced BMW 3 series.
Agreed

Quote:
It can run happily at 350bhp all day long. easy to drive and not a handful.
Some would disagree, but i'll give that.

But the guy parking it for me, or my mum may not be as talented as you. (she would be far more talented of course )

Quote:

If bmw can tell whether a cars mapped or not then they would still see its mapped but on a lower state of tune so really still not worth having.
Why would you send it for servicing in a lower state of tune?
I'd send it for servicing - standard.

Quote:

A custom live map to enable 3 stages would cost in excess of 3k due to the complexity and the need for aftermarket engine manegment.
£3k Another fandangoism?

Quote:

Now it would be a good idea if your running 450bhp+ with bespoke engine parts and turbos and needed to preserve the life of other drivetrain components etc.
That's not my reasoning and as you've stated - not applicable here.

Did you read my post where i explained why i would want it?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #15
Jude1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

I think the three option switchable Evolve unit is a great idea and would make great sense on the 335d.

I would have one set as standard, one set up as economy mode for my M/Way driving and one for DXB beating mode which it is now.

Like Carlos has said for him and his circumstances it wouldn't make sense, but for most of us it probably would.

Another reason why it's a good idea is to reduce the amount of time it actually runs in it's most powerful mode. As we all know, remapping will accelerate wear and tear on various componants such as turbo's, drivetrain etc so being able to switch to a softer map for the times where you don't want to be thrashing the car will be extremely beneficial. I would say that the turbos on a remapeed car that is driven hard all of the time will be good for a max of 60k before they start to fail, in fact I would bet that quite a few that have done 40k will be passing oil already.....time will tell.

Jules.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #16
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
i argree with carlos with this one, wow did i say that lol, whos wants to drive a 335d after a remap is gone ,it will be driving a limp car, everyone knows after a remap the car is sooo much better,when you get in the car you want it to put a smile on your face, not keep looking the MPG, as a remap give better MPG anyway if you just cruise with it the MPG will go up, its like M3 really when you drive that the M button is allways on, and sport setting is to the max, your not going to set it up like a 1.1 corsa, i would say have the remap enjoy it, then back off the power and you still get good MPG when u want tooo
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #17
MOB
Major
England
Rep

As an example of why I would consider this box, in a couple of weeks I'm off on my hols, with my mum looking after my house and car - I'd like the option of at least going back to standard as the car was a fair bit gentler as standard.

Plus the option to return to standard for servicing appeals.
      09-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #18
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Same for me, the car will be with me in Spain so if I have a problem at the stealers and need to put it back to stock, what am I going to do... ship it England, replace map, and ship it back?

Having a standard map option switch will be a god send to those worried about taking their car to the dealer and having them figure it out and refuse to work due to a warranty dispute
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #19
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Interesting.

So are the pre-loaded maps, multi-maps?

By multi-maps, I mean maps that are capable of adapting to the latest software from BMW.

My understanding of a Map is one that is written for your specific ECU, when I say specific,I mean specific to it's basic running software.

For example if my map was overwritten tomorrow by BMW,I could not go back to Simon and get his original map reloaded, as the newer software from BMW would make Simon's original map unworkable.
A new map would have to be written that was compatible with the newer software.

So given all the above, how does this set up work?

I can understand the benefits of what's being offered for a servicing scenario,but I personally use the extra power when I want to, and when I don't,I don't, if however other people drive your car than that's also something to consider.

In Carlos' case, the car would be set to limp mode
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #20
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Interesting.

So are the pre-loaded maps, multi-maps?

By multi-maps, I mean maps that are capable of adapting to the latest software from BMW.

My understanding of a Map is one that is written for your specific ECU, when I say specific,I mean specific to it's basic running software.

For example if my map was overwritten tomorrow by BMW,I could not go back to Simon and get his original map reloaded, as the newer software from BMW would make Simon's original map unworkable.
A new map would have to be written that was compatible with the newer software.

So given all the above, how does this set up work?

I can understand the benefits of what's being offered for a servicing scenario,but I personally use the extra power when I want to, and when I don't,I don't, if however other people drive your car than that's also something to consider.

In Carlos' case, the car would be set to limp mode
The unit holds tuned maps based on the original standard map.

You are correct in your assumption that IF BMW do an ECU update with a new software version the original tuned maps will not work and new maps will have to be written based on the new code.

If this happens the unit will not load the original/tuned maps in. The customer can then use the unit to read out the new original map and email to us for tuning. We return the new tuned files and the customer has new tuned map/s based on the new software version. Or they can bring the car to us which ever they feel most comfortable with.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #21
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
The unit holds tuned maps based on the original standard map.

You are correct in your assumption that IF BMW do an ECU update with a new software version the original tuned maps will not work and new maps will have to be written based on the new code.

If this happens the unit will not load the original/tuned maps in. The customer can then use the unit to read out the new original map and email to us for tuning. We return the new tuned files and the customer has new tuned map/s based on the new software version. Or they can bring the car to us which ever they feel most comfortable with.

Thankyou Imran,a well thought out unit, with lots of potential.

Good luck with it, I will watch out for developments.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #22
Sales@Evolve
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Thankyou Imran,a well thought out unit, with lots of potential.

Good luck with it, I will watch out for developments.
Thanks Ian.

VAG owners have had this kind of solution for ages with Revo. Hopefully it will lead to even more people tuning their cars
Appreciate 0