E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > What is EVERYONE's opinion on Radar/Laser detectors???

08-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #1
Aquastevae
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 325i E46, 2010 335i E90

What is EVERYONE's opinion on Radar/Laser detectors???

I have been out of the loop for a long time on Radar/Laser detectors, and it seems now they have the false positive protections and all the different forms of detection... So would love to know what those who have massive experience think is the best bang for the buck.
I just had my 325i totaled by insurance and ended up getting a fully FBO built E92 335i, and just can't seem to drive it slowly. If I don't get something soon, I'm going to be in big trouble!!! Thanks for any help and advice.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 11:02 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If you are in a Metro Area Waze will be a better choice.
And all you have to do is download it.
I have a passport it use to maybe save me two or there times
a year. I don't see cops using radar much anymore in my area.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 01:26 AM   #3
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
I like to have some fun on the weekends with my buddies and radar detectors have saved us from a few speed traps set out here.

I've heard great things about the passport 9500ci. Don't own one personally though
      08-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
gearhead26
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Valentine v2 or Uniden R7 are the top units right now. I am using a v1 right now. It seems to detect Ka quicker than the R7.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 08:34 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I stopped using my V1 17 years ago and just slowed down.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I stopped using my V1 17 years ago and just slowed down.
Funny: I had a radar detector for about 10 years starting when I got my first car. Ditched it around age 26. Got far more tickets in those 10 years than in the 30 that followed. Didn't really slow down much, just learned how to blend in and not attract attention.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17315.00
      08-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Funny: I had a radar detector for about 10 years starting when I got my first car. Ditched it around age 26. Got far more tickets in those 10 years than in the 30 that followed. Didn't really slow down much, just learned how to blend in and not attract attention.
I live in Virginia now, but the place was our weekend house for 5 years before that. One Sunday night VA State trooper hit me with instant on. I of course pulled the detector down. This was in my E30, and my power plug was integrated into the dash in one of the empty switch panels, so no evidence I was running a detector.

He asked where my detector was. I said I didn't have one. He said than why did you slow down? I said I saw him. He didn't believe me, it was dark... lol.

If I had been a resident of Virginia he would have confiscated it. Being from Maryland at the time, all he could do is write an extra violation for using a radar detector.

I stopped using it after that encounter. I drive fast in mostly rural areas. With instant on, it is pointless to run a radar detector. I just pay the tickets.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #8
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I live in Virginia now, but the place was our weekend house for 5 years before that. One Sunday night VA State trooper hit me with instant on. I of course pulled the detector down. This was in my E30, and my power plug was integrated into the dash in one of the empty switch panels, so no evidence I was running a detector.

He asked where my detector was. I said I didn't have one. He said than why did you slow down? I said I saw him. He didn't believe me, it was dark... lol.

If I had been a resident of Virginia he would have confiscated it. Being from Maryland at the time, all he could do is write an extra violation for using a radar detector.

I stopped using it after that encounter. I drive fast in mostly rural areas. With instant on, it is pointless to run a radar detector. I just pay the tickets.
Haha, yeah I remember living in VA, if you installed one, it better be stealth. It's funny...almost like they look for radars more than actual speeding. I remember going on Toll Road toward DC and we were all going 85mph...cops were only looking for HOV violators.

Also +1 for Waze. On commonly traveled areas, it's very effective.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 12:03 PM   #9
309xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi

Think I'm gonna ask for a Uniden r3 or r7 for Christmas. 😁

I don't use Waze much at all, but would like something for those days when I'm feeling a little heavy footed.
Appreciate 0