08-18-2020, 01:07 AM   #1
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

New X5M comp review by autotopNL with commentary

Hi,

Here is that.

This seems to be a little critical review.

Again complaining about comfort and about exhaust sound. (Mentioned difference between US and EU specs, to this time I though they have the same sound level but US is much louder).
Also complaining about the breaks.

I have driven x5 m50d and truth is in this model the breaks were really weak and I had to stomp on it when I wanted to stop the car (but during drive when I wanted to slow down and not stop it was absolutely ok).

Well still looking forward for my x5m comp but I hope that the comfort and sound wouldnt be that disaster as some reviewers complaint about.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 03:46 AM   #2
Aliabd91
Private First Class
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: X5 M F95

About the comfort ride, you cannot compare the M50i with X5M Competition because different suspension system and X5M is stiffer.

For the exhaust sound, when the exhaust is hot you can hear some pops but not to much. My car did 2000 km and I'm waiting to drive it after the check up.

Ali
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:52 AM   #3
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliabd91 View Post
About the comfort ride, you cannot compare the M50i with X5M Competition because different suspension system and X5M is stiffer.

For the exhaust sound, when the exhaust is hot you can hear some pops but not to much. My car did 2000 km and I'm waiting to drive it after the check up.

Ali
Yes I know. I compared just the breaks to mine m540i meaning sedan vs suv

Coldstart and normal ride is ok for you or seemes too low noise?

Thx!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGFather View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliabd91 View Post

Ali
Yes I know. I compared just the breaks to mine m540i meaning sedan vs suv

Coldstart and normal ride is ok for you or seemes too low noise?

Thx!
Brakes are also by-wire I believe, that changes the feel and effort much more than it being an SUV vs Sedan.
      08-18-2020, 09:12 AM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I posted this video in the ride quality thread. It seems like he prefers softer cars even though he's nuts going vmax on the autobahn like he was casually driving to church. His personal car is a F10 wagon which says a lot about his preference. I do not agree with his assessment about the sound being better on the non Ms. Maybe for the M340i vs M3 yes, the non M sounds better to me but the M50 do not sound as good as the M cars in the same model.

With that said the X5MC is a firm riding suv. More so for those riding on Pirelli pzero tires vs the Michelin PS4S. My car has the pzeros and it rides firmer than my F85 X5M with 22" wheels all around running Conti Sport Contact 6 tires. Others doesn't seem to agree but this is my opinion and I notice these things. I come from a history of M cars, modified cars on springs/coilovers so I have a pretty good gauge of what rides soft and what rides firm especially living in NY where we have the shittiest roads. I've even messed with the tire pressures by lowering them slightly to take the edge off the sharp bumps but that can only do so much. On the highway obviously its fine. It drives like a M car. Its on the local roads where you have sharp broken pavement where you feel just how firm it is.

I bit the bullet and ordered Michelin PS4S for my X5M and they should be arriving tomorrow so I will let everyone know if the car drives any different compare to the Pzeros. I've put close to 2K miles on my pzero's so I have a pretty good idea how they feel under a variety of road types. While i was researching tires the M5 folks have the same two tires that the car comes with and those that swapped out the pzeros for the PS4S all say that the ride quality is better as well as wet weather traction.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 08-18-2020 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
bknight59.50
      08-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
bknight
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M Competition

thanks Alan - getting my X5M in a few weeks and have always found your posts super helpful
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #7
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknight View Post
thanks Alan - getting my X5M in a few weeks and have always found your posts super helpful
Anytime!

Based on my findings i would highly suggest if your car doesn't come with the PS4S to try to get the dealer to swap for them before you take delivery. I just think its a superior tire overall for ride and handling. I also noticed that most if not all BMW press launch test drives all of the cars were equipped with PS4S. Maybe it was a coincidence but maybe not....

I'll have a direct comparison once my PS4S shows up this week so there won't be any guessing after that.

Alan
      08-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #8
bknight
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Quote:
Anytime!

Based on my findings i would highly suggest if your car doesn't come with the PS4S to try to get the dealer to swap for them before you take delivery. I just think its a superior tire overall for ride and handling. I also noticed that most if not all BMW press launch test drives all of the cars were equipped with PS4S. Maybe it was a coincidence but maybe not....

I'll have a direct comparison once my PS4S shows up this week so there won't be any guessing after that.

Alan
Thanks and yes agreed! I was close to getting a 2020 in the dealership that has the PS4s but my CA is working on a 2021 for me (I realize the differences are virtually zero but I guess good to have the latest model if possible, and I am not around to take delivery right now anyway).

Living in NYC ride quality is important... the main reason I am getting the F95 over the F90 is wanting to get higher above the awful roads....

Look forward to seeing your thoughts once you get the new tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 01:48 PM   #9
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Quote:
Anytime!

Alan
Looking forward for your update about tires.

My 5er came on michellins, I hope x5m also if it should be difference.
Appreciate 0