F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > No more Spotify
ARMA SPEED

08-18-2020, 03:06 AM   #1
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Looks like Spotify is no more on idrive 6

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/08/17/a...-bmw-idrive-6/

Not really a huge deal from my point of view as it never worked properly for me but it just highlights what a striking pile of S*** idrive is with yet another feature going missing. How do BMW get away with putting such rubbish software in their cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 03:13 AM   #2
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Yep, definitely BMW's fault that Spotify removed support for A4A.
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2020, 04:12 AM   #3
thescouselander
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
BMW should account for this possibility when they design the architecture for their software. Things do move on quickly in this area but BMW do not adequately support their software to keep pace with developments so we, the customer, loses out. Add to that what we do get doesn't work reliably anyway and I'd say the whole situation is totally unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:23 AM   #4
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

I've worked around this issue by installing a slightly earlier version of Spotify on my Android phone and ticking the box to make sure it doesn't auto update
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 10:47 AM   #5
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
BMW should account for this possibility when they design the architecture for their software. Things do move on quickly in this area but BMW do not adequately support their software to keep pace with developments so we, the customer, loses out. Add to that what we do get doesn't work reliably anyway and I'd say the whole situation is totally unacceptable.
So, you are saying that, in 2016 when BMW introduced iDrive 6, they should have accounted for Spotify dropping support for a brand new system, at some undetermined point in the future, and should have built the system differently to account for this.

Maybe you're still mad at Microsoft for stopping support for Windows XP ...
Appreciate 3
335dX430.00
Harryg276.00
      08-18-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
So, you are saying that, in 2016 when BMW introduced iDrive 6, they should have accounted for Spotify dropping support for a brand new system, at some undetermined point in the future, and should have built the system differently to account for this.

They definitely should have ensured they have a way to update the car's software to take account of changes to the 3rd parties they integrate with.

I have two BMWs, built 2018 and 2019. Both had this feature, neither do now. 1 year life cycle is appalling!
Appreciate 4
F20MAW73876.50
MattRST109.50
KRS_SN13537.00
      08-18-2020, 12:34 PM   #7
thescouselander
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Pretty much, yes. The software should be supported/supportable for a good few years after the last unit has sold. As it is the software in my 18 month old car is already legacy and losing features. Maybe that's ok for a mid range smartphone or a TV costing a few hundred quid but it's not OK for something costing as much as a car. BMW should have an upgrade path to idrive which would include keeping pace with third party service providers.
Appreciate 2
F20MAW73876.50
KRS_SN13537.00
      08-18-2020, 12:53 PM   #8
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote:

They clearly have no idea how difficult that could be in the world of cars, software and manufacturing.

I was once told by a software developer at a rather large 4 x 4 car brand that they have circa 4 to 5 THOUSAND mobile phones to get to work with their cars and circa 6 versions of Bluetooth, that’s just the UK.

So I can understand how difficult it would be to update this for apps to work, without accounting for previous software updates, build dates etc. or what version the app was running.

And it’s Spotify that have dropped support not the other way around.

Last edited by 335dX; 08-18-2020 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #9
thescouselander
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dX View Post
Quote:

They clearly have no idea how difficult that could be in the world of cars, software and manufacturing.

I was once told by a software developer at a rather large 4 x 4 car brand that they have circa 4 to 5 THOUSAND mobile phones to get to work with their cars and circa 6 versions of Bluetooth, that's just the UK.

So I can understand how difficult it would be to update this for apps to work, without accounting for previous software updates, build dates etc. or what version the app was running.
I'm not coming from an uninformed position here - software and computer systems is my day job and frankly I don't rate what BMW have done with idrive - supportability of the system seems to be one of the more significant issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 01:17 PM   #10
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm not coming from an uninformed position here - software and computer systems is my day job and frankly I don't rate what BMW have done with idrive - supportability of the system seems to be one of the more significant issues.
+1 It's also my day job and I completely agree with you.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2020, 03:39 PM   #11
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I get annoyed that cars dont come with CD players any more, whats that about....
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:19 PM   #12
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I get annoyed that cars dont come with CD players any more, whats that about....
Should have kept the M5!
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18775.50
      08-18-2020, 04:36 PM   #13
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post
Should have kept the M5!
Or the SQ5....

Just the bloody Mini with its 20gb hDD or something.... and the daughters GLC, which only seems to have KISS on the radio....

Cars, never right!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 01:26 AM   #14
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
+1 on this chaps. Day job too.

They seemed to cycle through V5/6/7 awfully quickly. To be fair to BMW they are highly touted in Project to Product, if you've read that.

Does CarPlay offer the route out of this (apologies if mentioned in the OP, need to re-read it)?

As an ICTP (JLR) owner, I'm sure to contribute to similar threads elsewhere. Especially as it's now been made legacy by the even more appallingly named Pivi Pro.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2020, 01:29 AM   #15
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
Aah. Android.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 02:10 AM   #16
thescouselander
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Quote:

They seemed to cycle through V5/6/7 awfully quickly. To be fair to BMW they are highly touted in Project to Product, if you've read that.

Does CarPlay offer the route out of this (apologies if mentioned in the OP, need to re-read it)?

As an ICTP (JLR) owner, I'm sure to contribute to similar threads elsewhere. Especially as it's now been made legacy by the even more appallingly named Pivi Pro.
I do wonder about that - would just putting in a basic interface to Carplay and Android Auto be a simpler approach that lets software companies and phone manufacturers take care of the complexity.

It seems that's what Ford has done - Mrs thescouselander will be taking delivery of here new Ford fiasco next month which just appears to have Carplay/Android Auto and little else. We'll see how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 02:18 AM   #17
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I do wonder about that - would just putting in a basic interface to Carplay and Android Auto be a simpler approach that lets software companies and phone manufacturers take care of the complexity.

It seems that's what Ford has done - Mrs thescouselander will be taking delivery of here new Ford fiasco next month which just appears to have Carplay/Android Auto and little else. We'll see how that goes.
It sounds more straightforward doesn't it? I'm not sure there is much USP in the entertainment and maps side of the software any more.

iDrive was an insanely good game changer, but I am sure almost all customers will be satisfied with AA/ACP. Feels like huge money spent for no commercial edge.

Leave the car software to handle car stuff and effectively outsource entertainment, comms and maps.

I was incredibly wary of moving away from iDrive after ten years, but when the LR salesman showed me ACP firing up I just thought "that's all I need plus my future proofing right there". And the iDrive USP was removed from my purchasing decision.

It's proved right, 24 hours back in a BMW a few months ago - i still stayed in ACP, just appreciated the fact it was wireless.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 04:50 AM   #18
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It sounds more straightforward doesn't it? I'm not sure there is much USP in the entertainment and maps side of the software any more.

iDrive was an insanely good game changer, but I am sure almost all customers will be satisfied with AA/ACP. Feels like huge money spent for no commercial edge.

Leave the car software to handle car stuff and effectively outsource entertainment, comms and maps.

I was incredibly wary of moving away from iDrive after ten years, but when the LR salesman showed me ACP firing up I just thought "that's all I need plus my future proofing right there". And the iDrive USP was removed from my purchasing decision.

It's proved right, 24 hours back in a BMW a few months ago - i still stayed in ACP, just appreciated the fact it was wireless.
As a bit of a luddite with touch screens, I do very much enjoy the way I interact with iDrive via the contoller, and not the touch screen which I've never touched.

Do Apple Carplay & Android Auto integrate with the car's control hardware? Seems eminently doable with a bit of standardisation, but whenever I've seen them reviewed it's always via a touch screen.

Unfortunately as an Android user BMW haven't ever given the option of finding out in any of my cars to date
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 06:56 AM   #19
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

As a bit of a luddite with touch screens, I do very much enjoy the way I interact with iDrive via the contoller, and not the touch screen which I've never touched.

Do Apple Carplay & Android Auto integrate with the car's control hardware? Seems eminently doable with a bit of standardisation, but whenever I've seen them reviewed it's always via a touch screen.

Unfortunately as an Android user BMW haven't ever given the option of finding out in any of my cars to date
The iDrive controller is genius. I miss it a lot.

In the X7 i borrowed, which was ID7 I think, I was able to navigate CarPlay using the controller.

In my Land Rover, I tend to use voice commands (Siri) most of the time, plus steering wheel buttons for track skip etc. Try to limit touchscreen interactions.

Appreciate 1
TimMcC502.50
      08-19-2020, 10:03 PM   #20
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Ever owned a 2005-2015 Jaguar? BMW are a model of compatibility by comparison.

I think all the car manufacturers get a bad case of "not invented here" (NIH) when it comes to popular third party apps. They always think they can do better. I call it the Saab effect, as seen on the wonderful Top Gear episode on the demise of that company. No matter what GM told them towards the end, the Saab engineers always thought they could do better.

The only people who have got this right are Maserati. They use the Chrysler developed UConnect system. It's not pretty, but it works, and that's all most of us want.

Then there are the idiots who fix stuff worse. Mercedes have just done it by replacing the Comand interface with a touchscreen monstrosity. They are as bad as cellphones for distracted driving.
Appreciate 0