BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Could this be a boost leak?

08-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW's m2

Could this be a boost leak?

My car feels slightly underpowered and I'm getting a loud whining under throttle does this sound like a boost leak ?

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldy1 View Post
My car feels slightly underpowered and I'm getting a loud whining under throttle does this sound like a boost leak ?

It could be but it is hard to tell via sound alone, I do hear that high pitch whining. Do you have any data logging software or ISTA (this might be able to help detect boost leaks or if anything is causing power to drop but if ista can detect it likely a check engine light would have been triggered)? If not you could do a smoke test.

Otherwise check your charge pipe to throttle body connection for any breaks or cracks, and if the connection is tight and seated properly. Then look down by the coolant tank at the turbo outlet and make sure the hot side charge pipe from the turbo is connected tightly.

If you have an m2C (probably not since this is in the n55 section but just to be sure), just check the charge pipes to the intercooler (make sure those couplers are tight) and the J pipe to throttle body connections.

On a side note, what kind of fuel are you using and what octane rating? Low octane fuel could be the cause of timing retardation and that causes a loss of power.
      08-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
It could be but it is hard to tell via sound alone, I do hear that high pitch whining. Do you have any data logging software or ISTA (this might be able to help detect boost leaks or if anything is causing power to drop but if ista can detect it likely a check engine light would have been triggered)? If not you could do a smoke test.

Otherwise check your charge pipe to throttle body connection for any breaks or cracks, and if the connection is tight and seated properly. Then look down by the coolant tank at the turbo outlet and make sure the hot side charge pipe from the turbo is connected tightly.

If you have an m2C (probably not since this is in the n55 section but just to be sure), just check the charge pipes to the intercooler (make sure those couplers are tight) and the J pipe to throttle body connections.

On a side note, what kind of fuel are you using and what octane rating? Low octane fuel could be the cause of timing retardation and that causes a loss of power.
I'm using Shell v power 99 ron. I have not long had an evo 3 intercooler installed so I will check all the connections the sound is coming from the left hand side or at least sounds like.

I thought at first it was the Amra intake but not so sure
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 07:23 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm using Shell v power 99 ron. I have not long had an evo 3 intercooler installed so I will check all the connections the sound is coming from the left hand side or at least sounds like.

I thought at first it was the Amra intake but not so sure
Yeah double check the intercooler, make sure that the O-rings within the charge pipes are still present and lubricated or they will not seat properly.

Also 99 ron is very good so I do not suspect timing retardation to be an issue especially with a massive intercooler like the evo 3.
      08-23-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

I have a small log here

https://datazap.me/sites/default/files/datalogs/Boldy1/00002DFA-019-060-038%20-%202020-07-25%2023-10-25_1.csv
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #6
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah double check the intercooler, make sure that the O-rings within the charge pipes are still present and lubricated or they will not seat properly.

Also 99 ron is very good so I do not suspect timing retardation to be an issue especially with a massive intercooler like the evo 3.
I also had the following code a few times after initial insall:

Air mass plausibility: air mass too high

I spoke to the garage and they said it was just the car learning after the big cooler install
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 10:01 PM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I also had the following code a few times after initial insall:

Air mass plausibility: air mass too high

I spoke to the garage and they said it was just the car learning after the big cooler install
It could be a few reasons:

1) Like your shop said the car adapting, but it shouldn't take more than one drive of a 10ish km's before it adapts. Especially if you reset the adaptations right after the install, because that will force it to learn immediately.

2) Do you have a tune? Piggy backs can cause these codes.

3) It could also be because of the intake, intakes (with the one exception being the cts turbo intake) are known to cause MAF issues, rough idles, and loss of power.
      08-24-2020, 03:29 AM   #8
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It could be a few reasons:

1) Like your shop said the car adapting, but it shouldn't take more than one drive of a 10ish km's before it adapts. Especially if you reset the adaptations right after the install, because that will force it to learn immediately.

2) Do you have a tune? Piggy backs can cause these codes.

3) It could also be because of the intake, intakes (with the one exception being the cts turbo intake) are known to cause MAF issues, rough idles, and loss of power.
Yes bud its a custom tune the code has come on after about 1200miles of driving, I cleared it and it hasn't come back. As far as I know there isn't a problem with the intake.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes bud its a custom tune the code has come on after about 1200miles of driving, I cleared it and it hasn't come back. As far as I know there isn't a problem with the intake.
Do you have aftermarket charge pipes with 1/8 npt bungs? If so did you use thread sealer on those bungs?
      08-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #10
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Do you have aftermarket charge pipes with 1/8 npt bungs? If so did you use thread sealer on those bungs?
One is running meth nozzle and I need to check with the garage to confirm.

Whats the best section to post a log in bud?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #11
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
One is running meth nozzle and I need to check with the garage to confirm.

Whats the best section to post a log in bud?
This section, but it's not guaranteed someone will review it. The best thing to do is send it to you tuner.

Make sure your meth nozzle has thread sealer on it to, and post all of your mods it's hard to diagnose issues without knowing what's done to your car.
      08-24-2020, 04:26 PM   #12
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
This section, but it's not guaranteed someone will review it. The best thing to do is send it to you tuner.

Make sure your meth nozzle has thread sealer on it to, and post all of your mods it's hard to diagnose issues without knowing what's done to your car.
Ok i will post mods

Je coated pistons
Carillio rods with carr fixing
Vvt crank hub fix and capture plate
Vac bearings all round
Arp head bolts
Mpe exhaust
Wagner 200 cell dp
Csf radiator
Csf dct cooler
Cst oil cooler
Wagner evo 3 intercooler and pipes
Pure 1 piece inlet
Amra intake
Dv+
Tte550 turbo
Aem meth kit with devils own solenoid
Step colder plugs
Xdi 35 hpfp
Custom map

I think that's about it engine wise I have sent the log off to a tuner today have to wait for a reply
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 06:45 PM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ok i will post mods

Je coated pistons
Carillio rods with carr fixing
Vvt crank hub fix and capture plate
Vac bearings all round
Arp head bolts
Mpe exhaust
Wagner 200 cell dp
Csf radiator
Csf dct cooler
Cst oil cooler
Wagner evo 3 intercooler and pipes
Pure 1 piece inlet
Amra intake
Dv+
Tte550 turbo
Aem meth kit with devils own solenoid
Step colder plugs
Xdi 35 hpfp
Custom map

I think that's about it engine wise I have sent the log off to a tuner today have to wait for a reply
Yeah it's best to have your tuner look at the logs.
      08-25-2020, 06:27 PM   #14
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it's best to have your tuner look at the logs.
Thanks for the help bud
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #15
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the help bud
You're welcome.