Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications M340 X Drive Arma Speed Intake

08-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #1
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Portimao Blue M340-x

Talking M340 X Drive Arma Speed Intake

I was the test vehicle for Injen when they wanted to make the intake for our cars and they also threw in a charge pipe which was a direct fit from A90 Supra. We did a dyno and the car gained like 16 hp from the intake and chargepipe and i felt the difference in throttle response and of course the extra noise that came with it. I'm on stock tune and only have done Catted VRSF DP and Custom muffler work, so the intake wasn't working out that well because it seemed the IAT's were too high for stock tune and the car would stop itself from burbling or popping when i let off throttle. Also being in california with all the emission laws i was always scared of getting pulled over and show the cop how much i don't follow emissions laws with the big Injen intake just sitting right there lol.

So i decided to give the Armaspeed intake a try. I noticed that their intake was a little more enclosed. I know it doesn't have the sticker for being approved by emissions, but i figure the carbon fiber goodies is going to distract the cop from looking for the sticker lol. No, but in all seriousness i wanted an intake that wasn't going to suck up all the hot air from the engine bay and wanted it from a company that does their R&D. Armaspeed checked all those boxes for me, it doesn't suck in that much hot air because they give you parts to cover the intake and block as much hot air from coming in.

Let me tell you, it feels like i got a very mild tune with burbles. The throttle response is improved in every gear and RPM and the intake swooshes are so much more defined. It sort of sounds like i have blow off valves when i let go of the throttle at the right RPM. With Arma intake my car has been doing pops at 3k RPM and you can tell the IAT's are not triggering the car to go into safety and the engine isn't sucking in a whole lot of air.

I was thinking of going with BM3 because it deletes CEL and adds burbles, but with the recent news from BMW Cracking down big time on flashed DMEs and since I'm leasing, im going with Jb4 and getting an O2 spacer. I don't want obnoxious pops and burbles anyways so this will work out nicely for me.

I was trying to get a flyby recording to show you the intake noises, but due to unfortunate events my ABS wires were cut as my car was getting the lowering springs intalled, so i won't be able to get a video until i get the car fixed on Friday. Wheels, front lip and side mirrors going on when i take it in to get the wire replaced. Very scary to drive a car with no electric steering pretty damn scary.

Click on the instagram link below to view photos of the intake. Also make sure to follow along as i add the new upgrades to the car!

2020 Portimao Blue M340 X Drive and adaptive suspension.
Mods: custom exhaust, VRSF Catted DP, Injen intake and Chargepipe.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
That thing sure is pretty. Nice write-up and good to hear your feedback!

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
vicfalc09
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G20 M340 View Post
I was the test vehicle for Injen when they wanted to make the intake for our cars and they also threw in a charge pipe which was a direct fit from A90 Supra. We did a dyno and the car gained like 16 hp from the intake and chargepipe and i felt the difference in throttle response and of course the extra noise that came with it. I'm on stock tune and only have done Catted VRSF DP and Custom muffler work, so the intake wasn't working out that well because it seemed the IAT's were too high for stock tune and the car would stop itself from burbling or popping when i let off throttle. Also being in california with all the emission laws i was always scared of getting pulled over and show the cop how much i don't follow emissions laws with the big Injen intake just sitting right there lol.

So i decided to give the Armaspeed intake a try. I noticed that their intake was a little more enclosed. I know it doesn't have the sticker for being approved by emissions, but i figure the carbon fiber goodies is going to distract the cop from looking for the sticker lol. No, but in all seriousness i wanted an intake that wasn't going to suck up all the hot air from the engine bay and wanted it from a company that does their R&D. Armaspeed checked all those boxes for me, it doesn't suck in that much hot air because they give you parts to cover the intake and block as much hot air from coming in.

Let me tell you, it feels like i got a very mild tune with burbles. The throttle response is improved in every gear and RPM and the intake swooshes are so much more defined. It sort of sounds like i have blow off valves when i let go of the throttle at the right RPM. With Arma intake my car has been doing pops at 3k RPM and you can tell the IAT's are not triggering the car to go into safety and the engine isn't sucking in a whole lot of air.

I was thinking of going with BM3 because it deletes CEL and adds burbles, but with the recent news from BMW Cracking down big time on flashed DMEs and since I'm leasing, im going with Jb4 and getting an O2 spacer. I don't want obnoxious pops and burbles anyways so this will work out nicely for me.

I was trying to get a flyby recording to show you the intake noises, but due to unfortunate events my ABS wires were cut as my car was getting the lowering springs intalled, so i won't be able to get a video until i get the car fixed on Friday. Wheels, front lip and side mirrors going on when i take it in to get the wire replaced. Very scary to drive a car with no electric steering pretty damn scary.

Click on the instagram link below to view photos of the intake. Also make sure to follow along as i add the new upgrades to the car!

Where did you purchase from? Is this really a $1200 intake?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforty6_m3 View Post
That thing sure is pretty. Nice write-up and good to hear your feedback!
The shop is precision dynamics, I love them! I will always continue going to them, very honest, humble and fun people at the shop

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:38 PM   #6
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicfalc09 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G20 M340 View Post

Where did you purchase from? Is this really a $1200 intake?
I bought it directly from them. Once you look at the product and feel the difference in your car you will see that they did their fair share of R&D with the intake. Car feels like it breathes so much better

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 05:50 PM   #7
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Nice looking intake. Are they planning on making an alloy version to further reduce the cost?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 10:06 AM   #8
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcs View Post
Nice looking intake. Are they planning on making an alloy version to further reduce the cost?
They have 2 versions of the intake, one edition is without the extra carbon bits, the other is. I got the edition 2.
I'm not sure about alloy intake, but I can ask them for you.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 02:09 AM   #9
ARMASPEED
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

all pm sent
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 06:12 AM   #10
vicfalc09
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Does this intake cause the car to throw a CEL?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #11
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicfalc09 View Post
Does this intake cause the car to throw a CEL?
No it does not

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 08:41 PM   #12
M340_pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Can you post a pic of the filter with the cover off? Wondering what it looks like under there and how well it seals up around the fender
      09-25-2020, 01:42 AM   #13
ARMASPEED
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340_pilot View Post
Can you post a pic of the filter with the cover off? Wondering what it looks like under there and how well it seals up around the fender
looks this video may answer your question

Appreciate 0