Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Should I lower M340i?

08-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
G80JL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

Should I lower M340i?

Should this car be lowered? I just switched from an M3 and this car is pretty high compared to the M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 09:03 PM   #2
longlasting
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

I lowered my M340i with dinan springs. Made a little difference. 1 inch all around
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 11:49 PM   #3
Swagasaurus-R3X
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Lots of ways to do it. Dinan springs and bump stocks for 1" all around, K&W variant for a minimum of 1.7" up to 0.98" drop, or H&R for a 1.3" drop. There have been a few topics on it so far through the threads. You can search the manufacturers through the search bar at the top to see some reviews.

In regards to should you? I mean really it's up to you. Go low or no is the question. I remember when I had a 2.5" lowered Lexus IS. It was definitely better looking close to the ground but you have to be ok with not have a perfect front bumper and taking every bump in the road seriously. I've thought about Dinan for my M340i, they keep warranty but only give a super small drop. The H&Rs are at least 1.3, which will actually try to even cover those top treads from sticking out. K&W though is probably the best in the market. $2k for some K&Ws might be nearly 3/4 of a grand more than what you should be paying but they are a great manufacturer. Besides that nothing else on the market worth noting now. I would go with the K&Ws and probably go max height.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagasaurus-R3X View Post
Lots of ways to do it. Dinan springs and bump stocks for 1" all around, K&W variant for a minimum of 1.7" up to 0.98" drop, or H&R for a 1.3" drop. There have been a few topics on it so far through the threads. You can search the manufacturers through the search bar at the top to see some reviews.

In regards to should you? I mean really it's up to you. Go low or no is the question. I remember when I had a 2.5" lowered Lexus IS. It was definitely better looking close to the ground but you have to be ok with not have a perfect front bumper and taking every bump in the road seriously. I've thought about Dinan for my M340i, they keep warranty but only give a super small drop. The H&Rs are at least 1.3, which will actually try to even cover those top treads from sticking out. K&W though is probably the best in the market. $2k for some K&Ws might be nearly 3/4 of a grand more than what you should be paying but they are a great manufacturer. Besides that nothing else on the market worth noting now. I would go with the K&Ws and probably go max height.
It's not that black and white. Having Xdrive and Adaptive suspension greatly reduces your choices, like to zero.
Appreciate 1
WWM3956.50
      08-26-2020, 10:57 PM   #5
Swagasaurus-R3X
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
Quote:

It's not that black and white. Having Xdrive and Adaptive suspension greatly reduces your choices, like to zero.
https://www.kwsuspensions.net/produc...8ccm_u4C5ACOBx*HOWcP6h3ASag~~/56/Street_Performance/152200DM

??
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #6
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
https://www.kwsuspensions.net/produc...8ccm_u4C5ACOBx*HOWcP6h3ASag~~/56/Street_Performance/152200DM

??
"Electronic dampening control has to be deactivated. Deactivation kit is included."
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #7
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

The realy question is outside of height, what are you looking to accomplish?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #8
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
The realy question is outside of height, what are you looking to accomplish?
Coilovers not only lower the car but improve center of gravity and will make the car handle better. One of the best upgrades you can make to a vehicle IMO
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #9
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
Coilovers not only lower the car but improve center of gravity and will make the car handle better. One of the best upgrades you can make to a vehicle IMO
umm, yes. Not arguing that as it's absolutely correct.

Let me add some context.

Is the OP looking to just reduce wheel gap or gain performance that can help close the gap between the 340 and M3 - I say close because it will never be the same or better.

With that said, coilovers cost the same if not less to install as spings. Some costs could be made up there. Even better if you do the work yourself. In addition, coilovers are also inherently better because the shocks and springs are tuned for one another and the chassis. Not to mention the adjustability to fine tune vehicle height.

Furthermore, if you have a lease, you can remove the coilovers and retain roughly 70% of the value for resale. Same can't be said for the springs.

If springs are still considered, I would go with Dinan as the drop is minimal which is healthier on the OEM shocks.

Ultimately to each their own, but there are good to better options when lowering. Personally, I have never trusted springs and always go the coilover route or keep it stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #10
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
umm, yes. Not arguing that as it's absolutely correct.

Let me add some context.

Is the OP looking to just reduce wheel gap or gain performance that can help close the gap between the 340 and M3 - I say close because it will never be the same or better.

With that said, coilovers cost the same if not less to install as spings. Some costs could be made up there. Even better if you do the work yourself. In addition, coilovers are also inherently better because the shocks and springs are tuned for one another and the chassis. Not to mention the adjustability to fine tune vehicle height.

Furthermore, if you have a lease, you can remove the coilovers and retain roughly 70% of the value for resale. Same can't be said for the springs.

If springs are still considered, I would go with Dinan as the drop is minimal which is healthier on the OEM shocks.

Ultimately to each their own, but there are good to better options when lowering. Personally, I have never trusted springs and always go the coilover route or keep it stock.
Sorry I misunderstood your comment! I know see you're probs more well versed than I am lol

Reason I haven't considered coilovers yet is bc mine is leased so it's good to know they're easy to uninstall if needed. My F30 335 was bought w them recently installed and sold them with them installed
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #11
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I misunderstood your comment! I know see you're probs more well versed than I am lol

Reason I haven't considered coilovers yet is bc mine is leased so it's good to know they're easy to uninstall if needed. My F30 335 was bought w them recently installed and sold them with them installed
Totally understand. I'm in the same boat as you are. I leased my 330i - probably and want to lower it but cannot decide which method. I'm wondering if I can get a set of Dinian spings(when they come out) and just leave them in when I return the car. My thoughts are, that if BMW sells and vouches for the product, why would they care if I install them on a leased car. It can add value down the line during the resale, but who knows.

The way I rationalize mods on a lease is if you can do the work your self, which I always try, their's minimal cost out of pocket within the lease period. It's similar to the lease lol. You only pay depreciation on coilovers since you'll be reselling them when they are removed. Yes, your lobor is time/money, but if it's a hobby/passion, who cares.

Coilover wise, I was thinking of going with a set of Bilstien Evo S early next year. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-47-300118
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 11:16 PM   #12
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Nice!

I had KW's on my 335 and loved those. Would go w them again if I do go that route. Plus if I'm not mistaken they may be the only coilovers on the market right now for the M340?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #13
Rocket455
Grumpysaurus Rex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Garage List
1972 Firechicken  [0.00]
1969 Toronado  [0.00]
1970 Camaro  [0.00]
Quote:
Is the OP looking to just reduce wheel gap or gain performance.
Bingo. I think this is the most crucial (and often left out) piece of information in many of the suspension/handling threads I've seen.

Last edited by Rocket455; 09-03-2020 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 1