Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Bmw dealer scratched up my paint

08-25-2020, 02:57 AM   #1
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Bmw dealer scratched up my paint

Recently had a detailer correct the paint and apply a ceramic coating to my car as there were some minor swirls when I bought the car new from a BMW dealer.

So I took my car in for its first service today and advised the SA that I did not want my car washed as I'm OCD with the paint- always use correct washing techniques to ensure I don't introduce swirls or scratches. After the service i get to my car and lo and behold... it's been washed and obviously someone's used a dirty cloth as there's marring across the c pillar, boot, doors and fenders in fact on most panels. So I speak to the service manager who apologised profusely but didn't offer any kind of corrective action. After insisting that the issue needs to be fixed he offers to have the car polished at the dealership. If they do this it'll remove the ceramic coating which means either way I lose as I paid a lot of $ to have it detailed and coated to begin with!

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any thoughts, suggestions appreciated

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 03:15 AM   #2
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Difficult one. Happened to me once. Didn't get anywhere and I didn't want BMW car wash people to touch it again which is all they will do and make it worse.

I just took it to my detailer and asked him to correct any damage. As it had been ceramic coated it was a simple clean up job - that's the benefit of a coating.

I now put signs all over the inside of the car saying don't wash.
Ikester192124.00
      08-25-2020, 03:50 AM   #3
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by del82 View Post
Difficult one. Happened to me once. Didn't get anywhere and I didn't want BMW car wash people to touch it again which is all they will do and make it worse.

I just took it to my detailer and asked him to correct any damage. As it had been ceramic coated it was a simple clean up job - that's the benefit of a coating.

I now put signs all over the inside of the car saying don't wash.
Thanks, yeah I'm thinking the same. I'm going to ask the dealer to cover the cost of getting my detailer to correct and re-coat the paint. If they refuse I won't be taking my cars back there again.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 05:33 AM   #4
G20NZ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Had the exact same thing happen to me at my local bmw dealer with my old 135i. Right after a full detail too. They offered me absolutely nothing to remedy it. Just ridiculous considering the type of cars they're dealing with.
Appreciate 1
Ikester192124.00
      08-25-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Another one recommending to get your detailer to clean it up.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:40 AM   #6
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

I wouldn't let the dealer touch it as they are incapable of correcting the damage.
I would take it to the detailer you used before and you are happy with . Inform the dealer in writing and pass the invoice to them for payment. If they refuse to pay take to fair trading.
I had a wheel scrapped a few years ago while the car was in for service, lucky I noticed before I drove off. They offered to repair and paint the wheel, I insisted they replace the wheel with a new one and I told them I don't want them to change the tyre. After a lot of arguments, it went as far as the dealer principle they agreed. I got the new rim took it to my tyre shop swapped the tyre and gave them the damaged rim back. Needless to say I never went back there again.
Stand your ground, they were negligent, damaged your car they have to pay for it.
Appreciate 1
Ikester192124.00
      08-26-2020, 06:17 AM   #7
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Happening very often at Bmw dealers.
Document everything on paper or email from dealer.You need to have paper trail.
Take car to your detailer and bill i to dealer, if they refuse involve insurance, that's why you need paper from dealer what they did.
      08-26-2020, 06:49 AM   #8
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

After taking care of my car so well , I was worrying about exactly the same thing and came up with the same idea, stick up big paper warnings on each window , not to wash.
I also will speak to the Service Manager and ask him to introduce me to the staff who wash the cars and verbally notify them not to wash my car.
Once they mess it up it will be hard to prove they did it unless you take 360 degree close up photos before you take the car in.
Also worried about the drivers seat, leather , steering wheel leather and shifter, maybe have to cover them with something.
Sorry to hear about your car , that's just wrong, I would get them to foot the cost to take it to your detailer and get it redone.
For such an expensive car that is just pure negligence on their part.
Appreciate 1
Ikester192124.00
      08-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #9
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
After taking care of my car so well , I was worrying about exactly the same thing and came up with the same idea, stick up big paper warnings on each window , not to wash.
I also will speak to the Service Manager and ask him to introduce me to the staff who wash the cars and verbally notify them not to wash my car.
Once they mess it up it will be hard to prove they did it unless you take 360 degree close up photos before you take the car in.
Also worried about the drivers seat, leather , steering wheel leather and shifter, maybe have to cover them with something.
Sorry to hear about your car , that's just wrong, I would get them to foot the cost to take it to your detailer and get it redone.
For such an expensive car that is just pure negligence on their part.
Thanks.

To make things worse, whilst I was waiting for the service to be carried out at the dealership in their waiting area/coffee shop, I saw what looked like two very young service techs drive out in my car with the windows down and their arms hanging out the window. This was presumably for a post service test drive, but actually looked like they were going out for a leisurely joy ride! I thought to myself it looked quite unprofessional and I wondered why the dealership would allow this as opposed to having mature senior personnel carry out the test drive in what is an expensive performance car. All I could think about was 'what if' they flogged the car and had a good go at it? judging by their age and body language they probably did!

I'm heading back to the dealership tomorrow to see the service manager and discuss the corrective action needed for the damage to my paint. After this ordeal is over I'm never setting foot in that dealership again!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #10
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
I have experienced all of the above posts.
I never let the dealer wash my car. I always front up with a very clean car, so they’re not tempted to wash it.

With my M340, I had to get the rear spoiler re-fitted as it was lifting at both ends. During this process the dealer subcontractor buffed the paint protection finish off half of the boot. Not happy, but I took it in my stride and decided to get the area re-done at my detailer. I figured that this was the best way to do it for the sake of my blood pressure. Dealing with minor scuffles at the dealership is so stressful, and generally unrewarding. This work is being performed tomorrow at a very reasonable price, and includes coating the front, rear and side aero bits that had been added over time after the initial paint protection coating.

With regard to “test drives”, I experienced the same thing with my F30 335i. I had dashcams fitted, which the “mechanics” were not familiar with at the time (nearly 8 years ago). Same as the previous post, these guys nailed the car through a 60 kph zone and were very uncomplimentary about my new car, compared with the previous model (their right to an opinion, but something that the customer should not be subjected to). I also fail to understand why it takes TWO mechanics to do a test drive after a service.
I sent the dashcam video to the dealer and was surprised when the dealer CEO contacted me and was appalled at their behavior and suggested they should sack the two mechanics, if I wanted.

Needless to say, the dealer mechanics now pull the wires on dashcams fitted to cars in for service in their workshops. I’ve asked that the dashcams remain connected, but they cite privacy laws of recording people without their permission. You just can’t win!

BTW, I’ve also had some pretty shitty servicing which include:
Sump oil plug not torqued up correctly - oil pouring from the engine.
Carbon fiber front splitter completely smashed on the hoist.
One service taking from mid-March to end-July to complete (I wonder if this is a record!), due to booking problems, delays in spare parts, damage to the car and further delays in getting spare parts, and further booking issues.

And I still bought another BMW.........am I mad?
      08-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #11
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Yeah the dealer managed to squash the front bumper during a service and still waiting to get it all finalised (from June !)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #12
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
I never let the dealer wash my car. I always front up with a very clean car, so they're not tempted to wash it.

With my M340, I had to get the rear spoiler re-fitted as it was lifting at both ends. During this process the dealer subcontractor buffed the paint protection finish off half of the boot. Not happy, but I took it in my stride and decided to get the area re-done at my detailer. I figured that this was the best way to do it for the sake of my blood pressure. Dealing with minor scuffles at the dealership is so stressful, and generally unrewarding. This work is being performed tomorrow at a very reasonable price, and includes coating the front, rear and side aero bits that had been added over time after the initial paint protection coating.

With regard to "test drives", I experienced the same thing with my F30 335i. I had dashcams fitted, which the "mechanics" were not familiar with at the time (nearly 8 years ago). Same as the previous post, these guys nailed the car through a 60 kph zone and were very uncomplimentary about my new car, compared with the previous model (their right to an opinion, but something that the customer should not be subjected to). I also fail to understand why it takes TWO mechanics to do a test drive after a service.
I sent the dashcam video to the dealer and was surprised when the dealer CEO contacted me and was appalled at their behavior and suggested they should sack the two mechanics, if I wanted.

Needless to say, the dealer mechanics now pull the wires on dashcams fitted to cars in for service in their workshops. I've asked that the dashcams remain connected, but they cite privacy laws of recording people without their permission. You just can't win!

BTW, I've also had some pretty shitty servicing which include:
One service taking from mid-March to end-July to complete (I wonder if this is a record!), due to booking problems, delays in spare parts, damage to the car and further delays in getting spare parts, and further booking issues.

Goodness that is a bit of a rap sheet there...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #13
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
I never let the dealer wash my car. I always front up with a very clean car, so they’re not tempted to wash it.

With regard to “test drives”, I experienced the same thing with my F30 335i. I had dashcams fitted, which the “mechanics” were not familiar with at the time (nearly 8 years ago). Same as the previous post, these guys nailed the car through a 60 kph zone and were very uncomplimentary about my new car, compared with the previous model (their right to an opinion, but something that the customer should not be subjected to). I also fail to understand why it takes TWO mechanics to do a test drive after a service.

Needless to say, the dealer mechanics now pull the wires on dashcams fitted to cars in for service in their workshops. I’ve asked that the dashcams remain connected, but they cite privacy laws of recording people without their permission. You just can’t win!

BTW, I’ve also had some pretty shitty servicing which include:

Geez that is a lot of stuff ups by BMW service, was that one particular dealership or a few of them?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 04:57 PM   #14
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
Geez that is a lot of stuff ups by BMW service, was that one particular dealership or a few of them?
Just one. We have only one BMW dealership in Adelaide, unfortunately.
Don’t you just hate monopolies!
      08-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #15
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
BTW, I had my detailer, Elite Finish, go over the car on Friday, fixing up the paint issues with the boot and aero bits. Looks fantastic again!
Over the phone, we had agreed on a price of $100 cash.
After the work was completed, Hamish would only accept $50 and I couldn’t convince him to accept what we had originally agreed on.
How’s that for unbelievably fantastic service? BMW could learn a lot from these guys. I have used them for many years and will certainly continue to do so.
G20NZ34.50
      08-29-2020, 06:04 PM   #16
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
BTW, I had my detailer, Elite Finish, go over the car on Friday, fixing up the paint issues with the boot and aero bits. Looks fantastic again!
Over the phone, we had agreed on a price of $100 cash.
After the work was completed, Hamish would only accept $50 and I couldn’t convince him to accept what we had originally agreed on.
How’s that for unbelievably fantastic service? BMW could learn a lot from these guys. I have used them for many years and will certainly continue to do so.
Yes good honest service by your detailer.

Bmw service charges are ridiculously high, but workmanship is as inconsistent as rolling a dice - just depends on which apprentice you have working on your car that day.

Since my car had gone in for a "vehicle check" (for which I paid $250), yesterday I thought I'd check if my wheel nuts had been torqued correctly - to no surprise I found one nut loose on three of the wheels!!!

I give up
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #17
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Bmw service charges are ridiculously high, but workmanship is as inconsistent as rolling a dice - just depends on which apprentice you have working on your car that day.

Since my car had gone in for a "vehicle check" (for which I paid $250), yesterday I thought I'd check if my wheel nuts had been torqued correctly - to no surprise I found one nut loose on three of the wheels!!!

I give up
Shit! That’s not good.
You must be one of the few owners that actually own a torque wrench.
I have never checked the torque on my wheel nuts. I surmise that most owners are in the same boat as me.
How far off torque were the offending nuts?
      08-29-2020, 06:51 PM   #18
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I give up
Shit! That's not good.
You must be one of the few owners that actually own a torque wrench.
I have never checked the torque on my wheel nuts. I surmise that most owners are in the same boat as me.
How far off torque were the offending nuts?
Two nuts were completely loose, I could have probably loosened them by hand. The third was about half a turn off. I only recently bought a torque wrench but even if I had checked without one I would have known the nuts were loose.

Looking at the invoice/job sheet it doesn't make mention if they check the torque of wheel nuts as part of the vehicle check service, although they do check most other things which one doesn't need a specific tool for, and could probably check themselves; things like washer fluid, wiper blades and tyre pressure:
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 07:32 PM   #19
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Two nuts were completely loose, I could have probably loosened them by hand. The third was about half a turn off. I only recently bought a torque wrench but even if I had checked without one I would have known the nuts were loose.

Looking at the invoice/job sheet it doesn't make mention if they check the torque of wheel nuts as part of the vehicle check service, although they do check most other things which one doesn't need a specific tool for, and could probably check themselves; things like washer fluid, wiper blades and tyre pressure:
I assume they take off the wheels so that they can check brake pad wear. You will notice that the remaining thickness (percentage) of the brake pads noted on your service sheet.
Very disappointing, let alone being dangerous, that this has happened. I will definitely check my wheels after a service.
I assume you will be giving the dealership CEO (not the service manager) a right Royal rollicking over this issue. This is definitely NOT acceptable.
      08-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #20
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I assume they take off the wheels so that they can check brake pad wear. You will notice that the remaining thickness (percentage) of the brake pads noted on your service sheet.
Very disappointing, let alone being dangerous, that this has happened. I will definitely check my wheels after a service.
I assume you will be giving the dealership CEO (not the service manager) a right Royal rollicking over this issue. This is definitely NOT acceptable.
      08-29-2020, 08:43 PM   #21
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

Sounds like a dealer from hell to me. Unless they admit to removing the wheels it is very hard to prove they did and what's more they don't need to remove them. They can check brake pad wear without removing them, you can even check them yourself.
I would ask them if they removed the wheels and for what reason, if they admit they did i will take it further as this is a very dangerous practice, the wheel could fall off and result in a nasty accident.
I always instruct anyone that services my cars or getting new tyres they are not to use rattle guns on wheel nuts, bolts in BMW's case.
A few years ago I had some smarty tell me that rattle guns are used in car assembly, not correct, they use pneumatic torque wrenches. There is a difference as they don't hammer the fasteners and they are set to a specific torque.
Just in case you are not aware when you are checking torque with a calibrated torque wrench it has to be done while you are doing them up not after they are done tight. If they are done up a lot tighter than specs you will not know how tight they are . If they do them up very tight the bolts will stretch and they are much weaker then. Something else you should know, if you lubricate the bolts before you install them, reduce the torque and depending on what kind of lubricant you use as to how much you reduce torque.
Interesting to know what the service department tell you when you ask if they removed the wheels. It maybe better to ask via email so you have their comment in writing.
Was it the passengers side with the loose bolts?
Appreciate 1
Ikester192124.00
      08-29-2020, 10:51 PM   #22
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR33R View Post
Sounds like a dealer from hell to me. Unless they admit to removing the wheels it is very hard to prove they did and what's more they don't need to remove them. They can check brake pad wear without removing them, you can even check them yourself.
I would ask them if they removed the wheels and for what reason, if they admit they did i will take it further as this is a very dangerous practice, the wheel could fall off and result in a nasty accident.
I always instruct anyone that services my cars or getting new tyres they are not to use rattle guns on wheel nuts, bolts in BMW's case.
A few years ago I had some smarty tell me that rattle guns are used in car assembly, not correct, they use pneumatic torque wrenches. There is a difference as they don't hammer the fasteners and they are set to a specific torque.
Just in case you are not aware when you are checking torque with a calibrated torque wrench it has to be done while you are doing them up not after they are done tight. If they are done up a lot tighter than specs you will not know how tight they are . If they do them up very tight the bolts will stretch and they are much weaker then. Something else you should know, if you lubricate the bolts before you install them, reduce the torque and depending on what kind of lubricant you use as to how much you reduce torque.
Interesting to know what the service department tell you when you ask if they removed the wheels. It maybe better to ask via email so you have their comment in writing.
Was it the passengers side with the loose bolts?
Thanks, will keep that in mind re torque of wheel nuts.

The nuts left loose were the right front and rear both of which they would need to use the specific lock nut key so presumably they tightened the others and forgot about going back to do those. The third was a standard nut left loose on the left rear wheel. Hard to believe we pay exorbitant amounts for the service only for it to not be done right. I hate to think what else they did/didn't do.
Appreciate 0