F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Chris Harris on M Cars
proTUNING Freaks

08-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Chris Harris on M Cars

I totally agree with him, BMW need to rethink their M Car strategy when it comes to these ridiculous 600HP plus Behemoths.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #2
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
I totally agree with him, BMW need to rethink their M Car strategy when it comes to these ridiculous 600HP plus Behemoths.

I don’t think BMW will care and don’t think they’re looking to sell big numbers. They never have before on similar models.

It’s not like they’re not making plenty of smaller fast cars as well, M4, M3, M2, and a few M Lites which work well in smaller cars. Ok, they’re all coming up for replacement, but most will be replaced.

They probably make the same margin on one of those M8’s, even with a big discount, as they do on half a dozen £45k 5 series cars. And even if they don’t, a lot of brands run a a few halo models to give some brand glamour. I don’t imagine RS7’s sell in huge numbers either.

I do agree that the car is ugly though. It’s too flat from the back to the roof. I do like the current understated M5 though. Dream car for me.
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1050.00
      08-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

But is it a proper Halo car?

Audis Halo Car is the R8 which isnt just a souped up run of the mill product and Merc have the AMG GT. BMW have the I8 but that just doesnt cut it in my book.

I just dont think the M8 brings much to the party over the much cheaper 840i, it is just too big to be considered a proper M car.

I would like to see BMW use the 4.4 engine but put it in something special that really could sit at the top of the pile.

Anyone remember the Z8............. and i dont think they even bothered badging that as an M car if my memory serves me correctly.

The M division as I see it was to facilitate BMWs racing program, there is not much of that DNA floating about in the M8 in my humble opinion.
Appreciate 1
MattRST109.50
      08-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #4
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
The M division as I see it was to facilitate BMWs racing program, there is not much of that DNA floating about in the M8 in my humble opinion.
Originally I think the M-division existed for the reason you suggest but the way BMW chose to use the M-badge diluted and devalued that concept a while ago IMO; if you look at some of the current cars that carry the M-badge they're a million miles away from the original M-car concept. However, what BMW are interested in is profit and commercial success - if a relatively small number of petrolheads are disappointed by their badge engineering of the M-division I doubt they'll be too bothered....
Appreciate 1
Sennen1733.50
      08-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #5
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Originally I think the M-division existed for the reason you suggest but the way BMW chose to use the M-badge diluted and devalued that concept a while ago IMO; if you look at some of the current cars that carry the M-badge they're a million miles away from the original M-car concept. However, what BMW are interested in is profit and commercial success - if a relatively small number of petrolheads are disappointed by their badge engineering of the M-division I doubt they'll be too bothered....
Yes JNW1 I am afraid you are right.

I am not going to lose too much sleep over it. If the M2/M3/M4 replacements go down a similar route as I suspect they will i will have to migrate to Porsche for an enjoyable daily
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

I would definitely have a 911 as a daily driver. I'd just need something like an Up! GTI as a shitbox to park in town
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #7
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
I would definitely have a 911 as a daily driver. I'd just need something like an Up! GTI as a shitbox to park in town
I never get too precious about my cars like that.

I can understand having a 'shitbox' for the dump runs etc but if it is just to 'protect' the expemsive car you will probably find the added expense would outweigh the occasional ding etc you would incurr.

Having a delicate classic tucked up in the garage i can see the sense in but something like a 911 should be used as much as possible imo.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #8
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

BMW M certainly has a different philosophy/approach these days compared to some other manufacturers.

Porsche, for example, tends to remove weight and focus on driving dynamics and precision. Yes it adds power, but it's the driving focus which shines through. The excellence in execution.

BMW, once it gets above the M2/3/4 models, seems to just have one approach : add power. Yes it adds some additional features, but the current M5 (for example) is never going to be lithe and nimble. BMW has to overcome mass/inertia by using power.

I've had enough BMWs over the past 10+ years to know that I generally like them, but, apart from the i8 (which seems to have slipped into obscurity), does BMW have a true halo car these days ? I certainly don't think it's the M8.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Sennen1733.50
      08-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I'd have way more fun taking a 1500cc Spitfire down a country lane than an M8

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
Sennen1733.50
      08-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #10
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Yep.... i reckon Justchris has the right idea with the MX5....... five times the enjoyment and a fifth of the cost.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #11
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
I assure you I had great fun taking a 625 bhp M5, with big brakes and sports suspension down country roads.

This exact conversation already happened just a few weeks ago on here.

If you want a smaller, better handling M car then buy one of the smaller ones, if you want a big powerful cruiser or muscle car type feeling, then buy one of the bigger ones.

I don’t expect BMW expect all the different M cars to be all things to all people. I think there’s space for both kinds in the range. I love the big fast luxury car feeling. I doubt I’m the only one, and they’re not trying to make these sell in huge numbers.

There’d be just as many complaining if BMW stopped making direct competition to bigger Audi RS cars and bigger Merc AMG’s.
Appreciate 3
JD64270.50
RustyBitz1573.50
dazzapb1050.00
      08-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
BMW M certainly has a different philosophy/approach these days compared to some other manufacturers.

Porsche, for example, tends to remove weight and focus on driving dynamics and precision. Yes it adds power, but it's the driving focus which shines through. The excellence in execution.

BMW, once it gets above the M2/3/4 models, seems to just have one approach : add power. Yes it adds some additional features, but the current M5 (for example) is never going to be lithe and nimble. BMW has to overcome mass/inertia by using power.

I've had enough BMWs over the past 10+ years to know that I generally like them, but, apart from the i8 (which seems to have slipped into obscurity), does BMW have a true halo car these days ? I certainly don't think it's the M8.
A very good point Watsey, the M cars should follow the same ethos as Porsche do with their 'GT' moniker and major on lightness.

Maybe BMW could give the large powerful boulevard cruisers they produce a different moniker ........ 'Ghia' maybe
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #13
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
A very good point Watsey, the M cars should follow the same ethos as Porsche do with their 'GT' moniker and major on lightness.

Maybe BMW could give the large powerful boulevard cruisers they produce a different moniker ........ 'Ghia' maybe
I’m sure you can work out which is which without changing the badges......

Can you imagine the uproar on here elsewhere if the M5 lost its M badge!
Appreciate 0